Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guitar_randy

got my new 339 pro 2 day

Received my new cherry red Epi 339 today. Looks awsome. I like the pickups which is a first for me for a modern day epi.I also like the single coil taps and the way the neck feels. It has a nice sound. Its a nice guitar overall. It needs to be set up .It haas some fret buzz. Measured the relief and truss rod needs to be loosened 1/4 turn and see if it does it. Took off the truss rod cover and put the allen wrench in there and the truss rod is so tight I am afraid to try and turn it. I had this before with an epi. Last time I think it was teporarily seized from being little gummed up from something during the manufacturing process,maybe polishing compound,sawdust or something. Last time I very carefully put some penetrating oil directly on the truss rod nut ,left the guitar stand upright overnight while it loosened and it turned easily the next morning .I am going to try that method this time again hoping that does it. Only other issue I could find was also small but shouldn't have occurredvery nice looking and playing guitar. either. That is a chipped/broken tone knob. I figure i will try and directly email gibson/epiphone and explain it and see if they will just send me a new on for it.

Otherwise so far I reall enjoy it. I think its a very nice looking and playing guitar. Sounds great. No pickup mods or anything needed. good to go stock as it is.I like that they put neck binding on it and the tuning keys seem nicer as well than the chrome grovers. The quality assurance should have caught the small issues but its not the end of the world. I hope the truss rod turns easily tomorrow morining. They reeally ought to do something to be certain this doesn't happen though in my opinion. Its a little irrtating .They must kind of rush through steps in some areas so they overlook a few things.

Overall I think its a real nice guitar for the $

i just found out also today that my wife suprised me and ordered a resonator for me too.Its on backorder,due in early February. Its an inexpensive Rogue ,but it gets good reviews and I always wanted one. THere are you tube videos of it and it sounds decent

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/rogue-classic-brass-body-resonator-guitar

Received my new cherry red Epi 339 today. Looks awsome.

Nice. Looks like my new Dot but it's also got coil tapping and neck binding... for the same price! And black knobs. Frankly, I like the name better, too. They say it's smaller/lighter than a Gibby ES-335. Is it smaller than a Dot? They both have the same scale at 24.75"....

My Dot also had fret buzz. Needed a major setup. Being more of a keyboardist and new to electric guitars, I took it to my local luthier. It plays and sounds great now!

Received my new cherry red Epi 339 today. Looks awsome. I like the pickups which is a first for me for a modern day epi.I also like the single coil taps and the way the neck feels. It has a nice sound. Its a nice guitar overall. It needs to be set up .It haas some fret buzz. Measured the relief and truss rod needs to be loosened 1/4 turn and see if it does it. Took off the truss rod cover and put the allen wrench in there and the truss rod is so tight I am afraid to try and turn it. I had this before with an epi. Last time I think it was teporarily seized from being little gummed up from something during the manufacturing process,maybe polishing compound,sawdust or something. Last time I very carefully put some penetrating oil directly on the truss rod nut ,left the guitar stand upright overnight while it loosened and it turned easily the next morning .I am going to try that method this time again hoping that does it. Only other issue I could find was also small but shouldn't have occurredvery nice looking and playing guitar. either. That is a chipped/broken tone knob. I figure i will try and directly email gibson/epiphone and explain it and see if they will just send me a new on for it.

Otherwise so far I reall enjoy it. I think its a very nice looking and playing guitar. Sounds great. No pickup mods or anything needed. good to go stock as it is.I like that they put neck binding on it and the tuning keys seem nicer as well than the chrome grovers. The quality assurance should have caught the small issues but its not the end of the world. I hope the truss rod turns easily tomorrow morining. They reeally ought to do something to be certain this doesn't happen though in my opinion. Its a little irrtating .They must kind of rush through steps in some areas so they overlook a few things.

Overall I think its a real nice guitar for the $

i just found out also today that my wife suprised me and ordered a resonator for me too.Its on backorder,due in early February. Its an inexpensive Rogue ,but it gets good reviews and I always wanted one. THere are you tube videos of it and it sounds decent

http://www.musicians...esonator-guitar

Congratulations! I ordered a blond one a couple of days ago and can't wait for it to arrive. In my old age, I have a Dot, but have wanted the smaller-bodied version for awhile. HNY!

Congratulations! I ordered a blond one a couple of days ago and can't wait for it to arrive. In my old age, I have a Dot, but have wanted the smaller-bodied version for awhile. HNY!

I am back to without one for now. I am sending it out tomorrow and supposedly they are sending me a different one out tomorrow as well. The truss rod issue turned out to be reason to exchange it.I have a dot also and also went for the smaller sized 339. I still have my dot for now and with any luck should get a working 339 within the next week.

Is the other one an Agile metal body resonator? I didn't see that on the agile website. All I saw was wood body styled ones.

Got that about 10 years ago or so. Super nice resonator. No longer produced.

Got that about 10 years ago or so. Super nice resonator. No longer produced.

e

I like the decorative designs on it. Etching or whatever it is called.Looks cool.

How does the Rogue play?

It has alot of pretty decent reviews.

I was leary about it at first but it has alot of good reviews and there are a few you tube videos of it and it sounds nice on those too.

I own a Rogue mandolin which was also very inexpensive ,and although I am no professional mandolin player by any means,I like that too.

Rogue is an interesting company,at least to me. There stuff is usually always inexpensive compared to other brands of similiar type items and I really never hear much bad of them.

I am sure there is better out there,but for the money you can't really lose. If I really get into playing the resonator alot and my playing it takes off,I may look for a more higher build guitar but then again,maybe the Rogue will do just fine too. I always loved the sound of a resonator playing blues.just raw and primitive and goes perfect for blues,deltablues type stuff.

Everyone feel free to rate my post here a green reputation#-o

I sent in my faulty es 339 and last night I received my new 339 and the truss rod does turn and work on this guitar. It doesn 't have any broken knobs. The finish is ok,not as nice as the first one but acceptable for the price paid I guess.THis one had actual checked off points from the inspection process .I don't recall seeing that paperwork with the first guitar I received. I guess itt may have been there but I don't remember seeing it. I played it some last night and it played as nice as the first one. The first one may have been slightly better in the woods resonance and the finish was little nicer on the first one but possibly might just be the way it is with Epi's?,kinda rolling he dice if you get one thats alot better than others or alot worse than others. I'll look things over more thoroughly today.