Gibson Brands Forums

Please define headroom

spooki

Hello all. It's me again and beginning to feel like the Lone Ranger here. Seems like nobody views this spot except me and just a few others. I'm trying hard with the learning curve and hate the embarrassment of being the only one in class with my hand in the air.

I'm trying to learn a little on preamp tube swaps. I'm not going to throw in a mix of tubes here. But would like to understand what they mean by. "I have no headroom." or "it gives me more/less headroom"?

I have read and read many links till I'm blue in the face. I get all the possibilities when swapping tubes and that being a personal feel for your tone. But everyone involved already knows what that question of mine is all about. What is headroom? hehe.... they talk so freely about it and I'm at a big duh!!!....

I will indeed Google (headroom for an amp next) but if it's anything like all the rest of the sites. I will still get 100 answers that are all different, including cap and resistor swaps. I first need to understand headroom.

Thanks again to all and looking forward to some easy understanding of definition. Just for grins and who ever has stayed with me. Enclosed is a pic of my refurbished cabinet. I repaired all tolex tears and dressed her up a tad for the Windsor mate to soon arrive. The corner pieces are yet to be painted black.

http://www.fender.co...lay_article=495

"headroom is more simply a term used to denote and describe how much power your amp can provide before the sound starts to break up and distort."

Thanks Rabs... for the reply. That was a great link you provided. Kind of explains all... as to where I'm going. The amp head I'm getting is the Peavey Windsor and I now know and understand their search. Most really like the amp except for the lack of cleans and/or headroom. It's a beast from what I understand, but can be tamed towards acceptance for clean with some tube swaps. That's all I'm after for this head and have never had a dirty amp before this. I just had never heard of headroom until I started checking out the Windsor. It was all new to me and I appreciate your help and input. I'm 59 and never to old to learn. Plus... I laid down the guitar for 35 years and am getting fired up all over again. AND Loving it..... Thanks again... Steve

Thanks Rabs... for the reply. That was a great link you provided. Kind of explains all... as to where I'm going. The amp head I'm getting is the Peavey Windsor and I now know and understand their search. Most really like the amp except for the lack of cleans and/or headroom. It's a beast from what I understand, but can be tamed towards acceptance for clean with some tube swaps. That's all I'm after for this head and have never had a dirty amp before this. I just had never heard of headroom until I started checking out the Windsor. It was all new to me and I appreciate your help and input. I'm 59 and never to old to learn. Plus... I laid down the guitar for 35 years and am getting fired up all over again. AND Loving it..... Thanks again... Steve

No problem at all.. after all that is why we are here to share this sort of information [thumbup]

And good on you for getting back to something you love. And yes we are never too old too learn, indeed you could learn music all of your life and still not know everything there is too know..

Happy playing man :)

Archived