Gibson Brands Forums

This may seem like a strange question, but do women get G.A.S.???

onewilyfool

Played last night with my brother's neighbor in Manhattan beach who is a relative newcomer and she's been playing 9 months. Her first guitar was an all original including OHSC 1967 J-160E which she brought to the party along with her brand new Es-335 and Martin D-16. She told me she has a confirmed diagnosis of G.A.S.

The answer is yes.

btw she now wants a J-200 after playing mine. (and I want a 335 but that's off topic).

DON'T forget large appliance too!! Stoves, Fridge, Kitchen remodel, bathroom remodel, new carpet. Criminitly, the list is deeper than guitars & Harley's. I just hide stuff in the garage, my warehouse, & the lower level bedroom. :rolleyes: I don't have to have it displayed all over the place to show I spent the $$$

I agree with JG2 on the GAS issue. Been awakened from a sound sleep on several occasions. I was sure I had died as Michael the Arch-Angel had blown a blast to raise the dead. One time the poor dog thought he was going to have to do battle with the damn Lion that roared in the room!! [biggrin]

Aster

I've had to get up out of bed and leave the room a couple of times when sweetie was over. Woke me from a dead sleep. [blink]

I'm glad you said it, and not me. At our age, duelling gas is more common than duelling banjos.......

Well if the frequency of women wasting their time on the self-stimulation we engage in here is any indication, the number of GAS-eous girls must be along the lines of the ratio found here. Oh well.

I appreciate all my imaginary guitar buddies here for their knowledge, perspective, and humor, and wish you all a tolerable new year. That way there's less chance for disappointment.

Yes absolutely we get G.A.S. If we play guitar how could we not? There are way too many beautiful instruments out there for us to drool over just like you guys do. I now have five electrics and four acoustics.... think I'm set for now but you never know when GAS may hit!

Yes absolutely we get G.A.S. If we play guitar how could we not? There are way too many beautiful instruments out there for us to drool over just like you guys do. I now have five electrics and four acoustics.... think I'm set for now but you never know when GAS may hit!

So there you go. Question answered.

It ain't about gender: it's about guitars.

Well I tripped over some guitar cases on the for sale/on the way out list currently parked in my hallway between my music room (3rd bedroom on the house plan) and the Better Half's Wardrobe (2nd bedroom on the house plan), but luckily I didn't break my neck because I landed on a pile of handbags on her 'on the way out ' list........I think a couple of those bags would be worth more than my whole guitar collection.......

BluesKing777.

Well I tripped over some guitar cases on the for sale/on the way out list currently parked in my hallway between my music room (3rd bedroom on the house plan) and the Better Half's Wardrobe (2nd bedroom on the house plan), but luckily I didn't break my neck because I landed on a pile of handbags on her 'on the way out ' list........I think a couple of those bags would be worth more than my whole guitar collection.......

BluesKing777.

Lol yup that was me before guitar came into my life and filled the void that was always there even with a wonderful life. Something's was just missing till I started guitar. It brings me the joy, peace and serenity nothing else can. It's therapeutic to me. I flipped the majority of those handbags into beautiful guitars. Girls not only get G.A.S but we are clever too!

Yes absolutely we get G.A.S.

.... think I'm set for now but you never know when GAS may hit!

Very reassuring – but how for an amusing Q.

Then again why shouldn't females be mesmerized by the beauty and dreams of acoustic'n'electric guitars, , , instruments in general. . .

Not sure they take the nerding to the same plingelinging level of greenhaired madness tho -

If I'm wrong, for heavens sake chime in girls.

Careful Em...you might not want to delve too deeply. You may as well try to figure out why a guy laughs at a pratfall, wedgie, or pie in the face, as his female companion just rolls her eyes.

I step on tip toe if I step at all - could elaborate for hours, but luckily this is a guitar forum.

Gilliangirl - glad you're still playing. You should drip-devote more time to your enormous fan-group here, I said smiling. . .

Horses!!? Now there's a commitment! Plenty of GAS too. I've had both. The guitars are sooo much easier.

Maybe what seperates us though is the constant need that men have to yammer about their guitar obsession. My female bass player friend looks at me like I'm speaking in heiroglyphics when I describe the neck angle of my L0.

I think there may be some Fruedian type stuff involved: Just as women are prettier, and generally nicer to look at. A source of beuty, where as men, the are usually not thought of nice to look at, but more thought of by what they can provide.

Thus, the tendancy for men to want to OBTAIN things of beauty, where women may tend to obtain things to make THEMSELVES more beautiful. Of corse, this could also be because women CAN achieve beauty in the first place, thus worth the investment. Men have no such hope, and cam only improve by a shower.

This may explain why it may be more personal to make fun of a woman's GAS as opposed to men's, and at times dangerous.

In at least one case I know of, it actually resulted in death: This particular woman was GASSING for a sports car, a fast one. when she pressured her husband into getting her something that goes from 0-150 mph in less than 10 seconds, he instead bought her a scale. Appearance didn't matter in his case, as it was a closed casket ceremony.

Archived