Gibson Brands Forums

What price would you put if you had this?

merseybeat1963

Have you thought about selling the guitar on consignment through Gruhn or somebody. This guys will hit you up for a hefty fee but they do have a large following and move some really expensive guitars.

There would probably be more of a market through someone like Gruhn, but the commission is a big hit on a high-ticket item.

Believe me, after decades of working in custom yacht design and construction, I can tell you that bespoke luxury items often depreciate more rapidly than their "production" counterparts, which are generally built to a set of specifications designed for the broadest appeal. There is undoubtedly a buyer out there somewhere for your special guitar, but quite likely not at the premium you think it should command.

Unfortunately, with ivory components, you have just dramatically constrained your market, as it cannot be exported to/from most countries, even with appropriate certificates.

There's the meat & potatoes right there, bespoke stuff an awful lot of the time is avoided in favour of standard production stuff, adding in the components that mean it cannot be exported etc... the audience for it has dramatically dropped. LIke has been said there's the old adage "worth what someone will pay for it" but 2nd hand buyers don't pay the price of first hand premiums. To be a bit of a "reductionist" about it, it's a fancy D42, so I'd be looking at 2nd hand prices of D-42's and trying to match specs with the various upgrades or special runs 2nd hand prices, maybe a couple of hundred above a 2nd hand D42 if it really appealed, but no more than that I'm afraid.

Base prices of timber has little bearing when you want it in a Martin or any other guitar, that select adi top was an upcharge of $795 .

When I asked them in 2004 about me buying a set of Brazilian & giving it to them to use, I was told..quote..

"We will have to buy it from you for $600... then sell it back to you in the guitar for $8000" (retail).

Im thinking if I do decide to sell it,to put it for 20% less than what it would sell for new, it should be interesting to someone looking for an unusual premium Martin which has a lot of new still in it.

Maybe not ..but all the high end stuff Ive been lookin at has been selling.. but all at that magic $2k less than the (new well discounted) price.

At $6900 minus the $300 ebay/pp will charge is fair for a guitar which would street price at $8400-9000.

In the meantime Ill get some .012's in round core & also nickle acoustic strings to try as many here have suggested.

Thanks

There are not many real Custom Shop guitars on ebay.. cutting a hole through the side of a guitar to install electronics or other small detail is not really it.

The pretty much identical match but in a different shape is this Custom Shop 00042 made around the same time..brother & sister.

Both are an attempt to make an old one...same premium top..she has a prettier flowery slotted headstock... he has the masculine block inlays and inlays around edges of it & fingerboard.

They are trying to sell it at what a new one, ordered today would be ,at full retail..the one I have would top out slightly higher than this one if ordered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-000-42-1833-custom-1-of-7-2006-Madagascar-Adirondack-OHC-MINT-/130808430606?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1e74ca400e

People are seldom inclined to pay out 6-7k on a private sale though, a bit more likely via some site like gruhns or similar, with the hefty cut you're still left with what you'd get if it was sold more reasonably via a private channel. I understand the frustration but the 750 upgrade is not a 750 upgrade to the 2nd hand buyer, they simply look for the closest production model 2nd hand price.

Best of luck MB, I hope you get an acceptable amount for it, I just feel its pitched rather high, so you may need to play the long game.

Thanks PM

By the way did you have a chance to play the Lowden guitars in Glasgow over Christmas break?

Im always bouncing to sell, not to sell things.

From the day I got that Martin there has been a little rattling at the head stock I figured it was a tuner at g string..and with many guitars & much laziness/lifetime warrenty, I never attend to it.

Thinkin to sell I got a replacement tuner for G string..but it still rattles..Im like oh no..maybe its the truss rod.

But here I found the answer..

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/122974/Martin-Gotoh-tuner-loose-or-something#.UORcJqXQ_8i

Those damn tuners always looked cheap to me..gotta get some Waverlys.

On the H&D I have they look like quality.

All the tuners were loose as well..tightened them all and sounds better too.

Thanks PM

By the way did you have a chance to play the Lowden guitars in Glasgow over Christmas break?

I never got home yet MB, had a family setback here which changed moods and plans, I've rearranged to go near the end of January. Will report back some Lowden stuff for ye then. msp_thumbup.gif

Im always bouncing to sell, not to sell things.

From the day I got that Martin there has been a little rattling at the head stock I figured it was a tuner at g string..and with many guitars & much laziness/lifetime warrenty, I never attend to it.

Thinkin to sell I got a replacement tuner for G string..but it still rattles..Im like oh no..maybe its the truss rod.

http://theunofficial...ng#.UORcJqXQ_8i

It's amazing how the smallest of things can cause the largest of worries, eh? I like the waverlys too, nice kit.

Fingers crossed you can get your price mate, but tough market, I've been offered lowball sums for my 0-28VS model several times already. I have a price I'm not willing to go under though so I can empathise. Of the parlours I've had my preference is for the Keb Mo model over the Martin, the Martin is very cool, but I play the KM more so I decided to test the market. Not the best response at all. Not too many of us are shelling out those sums these days.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/122974/Martin-Gotoh-tuner-loose-or-something#.UORcJqXQ_8i

There's an easy fix to this that is related to some of the suggestions, but not quite the same. If a tuner bushing is loose or falls out, remove the tuner and bushing. Take a Q-tip and dip it in PVA glue (regular Titebond, which you probably already have), and swab the inside of the hole in the peghead. Clean up any glue on the front/back of the headstock with a damp rag. Wait for the glue to dry thoroughly--overnight is best--then re-insert the bushing. The hole should be just enough smaller in diameter to hold the bushing securely. (You don't have to use PVA, but it cleans up easily and is in everybody's tool box.)

This is actually a surprisingly common problem, and not just with Martins.

One thing I do at every string change is tighten the screws holding the tuners to the peghead, and check the screw holding the spur gear to the baseplate on open-gear tuners.

I don't want to re-open the discussion on how you should price your guitar--that's totally up to you--but Music Villa has a new Custom Shop D-45 Mada/Adi ("woods hand-picked at NAMMS, etc"). Their advertised price is $8799, and that's before any negotiation.

PM thanks..Some of those Lowdens are just good guitars but some have like a a little cathedral in them.

the 028 Vintage Parlor is a nice little guitar..I always liked that Joan Baez 045 but I was not brave enough to order it as a 0042, and went safe with the D version.

Maybe a different type of string on it to give it enough of a different sound to the Gibson to make it worth keeping.

I tightened those tuners which were all loose and it made an obvious improvement.

Im getting more & more discouraged at idea of selling it. But if I do & it goes for less..there are similar oppurtunities likewise I guess.

Nick45

Thanks for the directions on tightening bushings..

I had kind of resolved that the Waverlys were best solution cause I hate the feel of cheapness in those Gotoh tuners..but $200 is a bit discouraging these days..but they are beauties & worth it. Martin should supply them in exchange for difference in upcharge.

If not I may just do the bit of glue,I have Titebond III...main problem seems to be the unnecessary washers.

I dont like to short change anything though, even if I am to sell this guitar.

A lot of our work went into that purchase Id like to pass it on knowing I did my best.

That D45 is potentially quite a reasonable price...still a lot of money but for a person who has to have a Martin..and the best they make,this is it.

But I must advise..either this or mine...Don't do it people, H&D's sound better..though Martin may had edge on looks..sound & feel is paramount. : )

That D45 is potentially quite a reasonable price...still a lot of money but for a person who has to have a Martin..and the best they make,this is it.

But I must advise..either this or mine...Don't do it people, H&D's sound better..though Martin may had edge on looks..sound & feel is paramount. : )

I've only played one modern D-45, and it was a nice guitar, but tonally, it was pretty much the same as a D-28. So if bling is your thing, and money is no object, the D-45 is a good choice.

On the other hand, the two pre-war D-45's I've held in my hands were creatures from another planet, and at prices pushing a half million dollars, they were priced accordingly.

I've only played one modern D-45, and it was a nice guitar, but tonally, it was pretty much the same as a D-28. So if bling is your thing, and money is no object, the D-45 is a good choice.

On the other hand, the two pre-war D-45's I've held in my hands were creatures from another planet, and at prices pushing a half million dollars, they were priced accordingly.

The standard line D28..D41..D45..which in most of my era were with standard bracing and I think still are..but they were so not acceptable sounding..the lighter braced D35 was better & I bought one in 1983...

The much better sounding guitars were the scalloped braced ones first being HD....then 28V..45V.. In that range they really do sound so similar to each other but better than standards.

My guitar was an attempt to get Martin to make to Pre War sounding thing..but it turned out to be just a tweek better than the vintage reissue line. I insisted to the rep and he said to me "Some of the best guitar builders will work on this guitar"

Those preWar Martins sound perfect (though a couple I tried did not, at Lark Street Music & may be why they are still there 6 years later).

A good H& D I get the feel..is as good as a PreWar Martin was new.

Very delicate & lightly made.

The DS Slopped Shoulder I got is really more like a historic Gibson..but it really responds like a new Pre War guitar.

And though it is Braz, Ive played Indian Rosewoods just as good sounding.I highly recommend a try on these to my friends here.

I remember reading in John Grevens discription about old Gibsons & Martins..he mentions the specific thickness range of the tops..but also the shape of the braces.

He mentions that old Gibson braces were shaped almost into a knife edge. I recently noticed in the Lowden I have, the braces are shaped that way as well.

Anyway Thanks guys..

After I sort tuners & mess with some different strings..if I decide to part with Martin ..forever.. Ill have it polished..expect a little less than I had in mind, knowing that what I find will be a little less anyway.

Archived