Gibson Brands Forums

Seriously dumb question not guitar related

ksdaddy

So I have a fleet of black leather jackets. I pick them up at thrift stores cheap. Penny went to the local Harley boutique and bought me one for Christmas. I had to exchange it for a bigger size and while I was there I perused the sew on patches. I laid one on the back of my jacket where I figured it ought to be, your typical Harley orange/black emblem, and the guy mentioned a lot of guys put them on lower, closer to the kidney area. I guess I haven't paid attention.

Does it matter? Is there etiquette? No colors here, just a Harley patch. I don't mind going against the grain but also don't want to look like a doofus.

So I have a fleet of black leather jackets. I pick them up at thrift stores cheap. Penny went to the local Harley boutique and bought me one for Christmas. I had to exchange it for a bigger size and while I was there I perused the sew on patches. I laid one on the back of my jacket where I figured it ought to be, your typical Harley orange/black emblem, and the guy mentioned a lot of guys put them on lower, closer to the kidney area. I guess I haven't paid attention.

Does it matter? Is there etiquette? No colors here, just a Harley patch. I don't mind going against the grain but also don't want to look like a doofus.

Unless you belong to an MC, I don't think there is any standard for patch placement, personal preference should suffice. When I was an active member of a MC, the club published strict guidelines as to where and what patches we could have sewn on.

It all depends on what patch you got and yes most Harley Davidson patches go on the lower back pretty much at the kidney level thats kind of free space. If you put it higher people will think your wearing colors no matter what the patch really is. If you do wear colors then it gets rather strict as to placement and when you can wear them. If there are active bikers anywhere near you or where you ride then stay away from rockers especially state or city rockers and the placement of patches that look like colors unless you are in a club or the local riders may take offense and that can get ugly quickly. MC gangs are strange I started riding with a group when I was a young cop. It went outlaw years later and they still consider us founders as full members and always will. Funny thing was that the club was actually a group of cops that road on the weekends for relaxation as we fell out with busy lives others joined and it turned hardcore outlaw in the mid 80's it was almost funny when all the founders were originally cops. it wasn't so funny when State and Federal officials started doing backgrounds on all of us as possible members of a club.

• 1 month later...

Just my 2¢ worth. I remember back to High School... just barely. >shudder< I remembered seeing one of the girls' letter jackets. You know the type, leatherette sleeves, felt like shell. The school logo.. or maybe the girl's name, was affixed low.. about kidney high. Much, much lower than the boys' letter jackets. I wondered why.... until she put it on. It was her hair. It hung down to just above the sew-on logo patch.

So, bottom line Scott, I think back-of-the-jacket patch placement has less to do with aesthetics than it does with hair length.

I've seen your pics Scott, so unless you have grown 15" of dreadlocks, draping out from under your helmet recently, sew it high.

Archived