Gibson Brands Forums

is gibson taking orders for mandolins at this time ?

Juan - Don't know exactly what sound you're after, but wanted to throw out a suggestion.

If you haven't ever played a 1920s A model Gibson with the oval sound hole, you should try a few. I had a '21 for many years & foolishly let it go. Earlier this year I was fortunate enough to find a '22 with truss rod (beginning of the Loar era) for literally a song. Very full & rich tone, while remaining totally playable & relevant (the same can sometimes not be said re guitars from this era). Many of these have survived in extremely good condition because they're small & built like a tank, and they can often be found at very reasonable prices. Hate to sound mojoish, but the essence of Kalamazoo truly flows through these little babies!

Juan - Don't know exactly what sound you're after, but wanted to throw out a suggestion.

If you haven't ever played a 1920s A model Gibson with the oval sound hole, you should try a few. I had a '21 for many years & foolishly let it go. Earlier this year I was fortunate enough to find a '22 with truss rod (beginning of the Loar era) for literally a song. Very full & rich tone, while remaining totally playable & relevant (the same can sometimes not be said re guitars from this era). Many of these have survived in extremely good condition because they're small & built like a tank, and they can often be found at very reasonable prices. Hate to sound mojoish, but the essence of Kalamazoo truly flows through these little babies!

IIRC, about six months ago Heritage Auctions sold two A's—1919 & 1923—for something like $1,300 each which is nothing compared to the what you got for the money. I took a look at both and they were in good shape considering the age. I would have bid, but couldn't spare the change at the time.

Archived