Gibson Brands Forums

Celestion Vintage 30 opinions

Riffster

Some love'em some hate'em.

I'd like to hear opinions if you have experience with them.

Some say it is a better speaker on a 4x12 configuration or mixing them in a 4x12 cab.

I have read that some people like them based on their efficiency of 100db.

Other hate'em because of the pronounced mid-range and the spike in this frequency range.

I have my eyes on a Celestion Lynchback but the used prices on Vintage 30's keep me wondering.

I play low volume that's why I usually look at less efficient speakers.

I've got them in the Line 6 Spider Valve 212 Bogner combo amp and I also have a Line 6 four 12 cabinet with them in it. I can't say that I have any complaints with either the combo or the four twelve cabinet. They seem clear enough at loud volume during jam sessions and also quite nice at lower volume when I just play alone. I can't say that I did a lot of research on the speakers themselves. I liked the way the amp sounded and actually didn't realize what was in it. When I decided to buy the bottom cabinet it was just a good deal and matched the amp I had. I can only use two of the speakers in the bottom cabinet with the combo amp though. Long story and not very interesting.

I love Vintage 30's. I have a Fender 4x12 SuperSonic cab that's loaded with them, and use my little 15W Fender SuperChamp XD to drive it. IMO, there's nothing better than the deep, thick & rich tone you get with a qood quality 4x12 cab loaded with your favorite speakers, no matter what volume level you're playing. I play mine at mostly low volume levels 90% of the time.

Below is a great link to a speaker comparison on YouTube that may help. The first half is a comparison of different speakers using slightly overdriven rhythm track and the second half is a comparison of each speaker using a short lead run. I found it helpful to pick a few speakers I liked after listening to the whole demo, and writing down the starting points so you can scroll through to compare each of them side by side. Hope it helps!

I'm a late bloomer when it comes to speakers. Honestly, I never gave much thought to it. Dumb, I know. I always thought if you had the amp you like, and the guitar you like, the cab/speakers you used didn't really matter. Then about 6 or 8 months ago, I was lucky enough to play through a friend's old Marshall cab that was loaded with (British) Vintage 30's. That was it, I was hooked. They're my favorite speaker now, and I have them in both my 2X12 and my 4X12. My 4X12 is a mix of V30's and G12h's. All the Celestions I have are newer, and I think made in China, but I'm still pleased with their tone. I really like my sound now.

For me nothin' sounds cooler than the greenbacks. I had a cab with v30's, but after i got the Bluesbreaker whit greenbacks i don't wanna have anything else. Well i did replace the v30's in my extension cab with greenbacks clone-Schumback m55.Sounds great with the Bluesbreaker. That kinda speaker do sound warmer and i like it hot [biggrin]

I have Vintage 30s in two of my amps,my new Vox AC-15 CC has a vintage 30 and it helps the amp sound just like the AC-15s from the 60s.I put a V-30 in my old '66 Traynor GuitarMate and it really made an enormous difference to the overall tone and performance of the amp.The V-30 allowed sounds that I never thought the amp was able to make after having the amp for over 30 years I finally heard what an incredible amp it really was.I wish I had the bucks to put V-30s in my Vox 4-12 BN cabinet and my Marshall 4-12 slant cab,they are absolutely incredible.

I love Vintage 30's. I have a Fender 4x12 SuperSonic cab that's loaded with them, and use my little 15W Fender SuperChamp XD to drive it. IMO, there's nothing better than the deep, thick & rich tone you get with a qood quality 4x12 cab loaded with your favorite speakers, no matter what volume level you're playing. I play mine at mostly low volume levels 90% of the time.

Below is a great link to a speaker comparison on YouTube that may help. The first half is a comparison of different speakers using slightly overdriven rhythm track and the second half is a comparison of each speaker using a short lead run. I found it helpful to pick a few speakers I liked after listening to the whole demo, and writing down the starting points so you can scroll through to compare each of them side by side. Hope it helps!

In this comparison the Greenback is so much fuller and clear with out being "to much" in any one frequency, it also has the right amount of that "out of phase" sound to make it just right. Very good information here, sonic's are very important for a particular sound your looking for.

I had them in a Mesa Trem-O-Verb. Great sounding amp that was. Also, around that time, I recall a LOT of really good sounding amps were coming with them.

At that time, I don't recall plugging them into anything else, and if I did, don't remember the results of the comparism.

So...I think a couple questions might be worthwhile:

When, and if, were the "standard" V30 made in England and when did production move to China?

And, regarding 2 versions (Chinese or English), has anyone compared?

Some folks say parts for Celestion speakers have been made in China for many years and then assembled in the UK.

The plant in the UK still makes speakers to satisfy the market segment that demands the UK/USA made label.

IMO Celestion obviously would not risk their entire company with a sub par product from China, I bet they keep specs and control quality tight.

When I bought my Mesa 3/4 closed cab I had the opportunity to compare between a Celestion C90 (Mesa branded CL80) and a V30 and for this Mesa 5:25 amp I liked the C90 better.

I am running my Marshall JCM1 into a 1965a 4x10 Marshall cab with Celestions G10L-35 and while I like the way they sound they are rated at 94db/watt so they are inefficient and running a 1 watt amp volume suffers.

I am looking into a V30 for a 1x12 for this JCM1, I figure I will get that classic Marshall sound and more decibels.

The only time I've heard of issues with UK Celestions vs the ones fully made in China was a couple year stretch with the alnico blues (might have only been ones for Vox amps - the Heritage line I think?). They didn't use the Mueller H1777 cone but that's been corrected for a while now.

I have run greenbacks, blues and everything else you can think of to say vintage 30's are different is an understatement. Clean they're ok but I prefer a greenback or a blue I have the vox with a greenback in it and love it for cleans not such a fan of it dirty but if I put a vintage 30 1x12 extension cab on it it's amazing. I used to run a mesa v30 4x12 but it was too bassy I like my 30's to sound bright so I went to the orange 4x12 I borrow one for gigs sometimes it's brutal bright and responsive. Orange are such a well made cab their v30's sound completely different to a mesa or any other brand. All I can say is buy one you won't go back unless you want clean I mean the ghost inside even use orange cabs for their brutal response

I recently reclaimed an amp from a repair guy ( I use the term loosely) after 16 months of no results. Seems nobody can fix my hum problem even with a schematic. Its a 40 yr old Canadian GBX Super bug with 2 Rola Celestion 12"s in it. Are they worth anything?? If so, I may end up just parting out the amp.

• 1 month later...

Just replaced a pair of GT75s with V30s on my 1936 2x12 and it's like night and day.

Now combine the 1936 w/v30s with 1960A with GT75s and I get real Marshall sound at a bedroom level.

The V30s mixed with the GT75s makes for an awesome sound.

They really come to life with my little JCM1 or my two Class 5 amps one has been modded with a master volume.

Couldn't be happier.

I have seen that combo recomended but have never had a chance to hear it in person.....would you class that setup as a good all purpose R & R setup?

Yes, but I wouldn't say it's limited to all purpose R&R only.

The cleans are SO clean it would be fine with jazz or country too.

The highs & lows of the GT75s and the mids on the V30s covers everything.

Sorry guys.... I know you're gonna hate me... I think v30's are really flat and lifeless.... I'm sorry. I do however like the greenbacks. The fane speakers are great too. Tone tubbys nice but both kinda thick n fudgy. The greenbacks are great. My next option would be a g75 which is like a greenback on steroids. The 65's are great too. The 70's are kinda bland. Sorry. I've run hand wired heads and jcm 800 2204. 5 watt boutiques and fenders hiwatts ect- maybe for some amps the v30's are cool but I honestly couldn't say where I liked em better then a greenback. Again I'm sorry. I really am a positive guy. Don't be hating 💣

Sorry guys.... I know you're gonna hate me... I think v30's are really flat and lifeless.... I'm sorry. I do however like the greenbacks. The fane speakers are great too. Tone tubbys nice but both kinda thick n fudgy. The greenbacks are great. My next option would be a g75 which is like a greenback on steroids. The 65's are great too. The 70's are kinda bland. Sorry. I've run hand wired heads and jcm 800 2204. 5 watt boutiques and fenders hiwatts ect- maybe for some amps the v30's are cool but I honestly couldn't say where I liked em better then a greenback. Again I'm sorry. I really am a positive guy. Don't be hating 💣

Why would you be sorry for what you like? [smile]

Archived