Gibson Brands Forums

Bedroom Amps

JAC

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot I have a 1w Mini-Twin (tweed) that is a great amp. I'd like to bring it to a gig and run it through the PA via the headphone jack for a couple tunes. I use a 9v adapter instead of a battery....works very well. [thumbup]

I got a Korean blackface Mini Twin! They voice those things so well! It is amazing what they can do with a nine volt amp. These are true bedroom amps!

Ahhh, when I was 19 (Pictured here, in 1969) THIS was my "Bedroom Amp!" ('68 Marshall "Major" (200 watt) Full Stack!) LOL

Of course, I had to wait until the whole neighborhood was a "work," or out of town, to really "Crank it up!"

My next smallest amp, at THAT time, was my '64 Fender Twin Reverb (not pictured)! [tongue][biggrin]

CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg

Now, I use a much smaller '82 Japanese made, Solid State Fender Sidekick 35 Reverb, for my "bedroom"

amp. I can (and do) use it as a backup amp, at all my "bar/small club" gigs, as well. I can get quite

loud, and toneful, too...for it's size.)

CB

I picked this little thing up a couple of years ago. Great wee amp. S101 15G. The Fender plaque is hardly an original fitment..................lol

Under £30 / $40 new.

The headphone/out is useful, too.

It has the worst (switchable) o/d sound in the known world but played clean is sounds lovely. I rarely have the master vol over 2...

Lo-resamp3-quarter.jpg

Ampcontrolplate.jpg

To give you an idea of how small it is;

Stratandsmallamp.png

P.

Very sweet looking quartet, Bence.

[thumbup]

What's the difference between the 30 and the 30 H ?...............:-k

P.

Hello Pippy!

The "H" has a Hammond spring reverb tank (Made in USA - in an East-German amp, from factory [biggrin])

Cheers... Bence

well, low watt, i had a smokey amp i blew up with my vineyard SG, so after that i gave up on amps. I'm currently using a Fender 25R Frontman, through a 12" hi-fi speaker cabinet it dosnt sound like much, but it sounds allot better then whatever speaker fender put in the amp.

549990_4414407045657_1199742743_n.jpg

I'm currently saving to upgrade to a Marshall MG50 DFX

• 3 weeks later...

Just a week ago, I've purchased the Orange Micro Terror with it's dedicated 8" cabinet and 20watt of solid state power.

Is a very nice bedroom amp on his cabinet but able to fight against a drummer (not to loud) with a 4x12".

It can handle 4, 8 or 16 ohm cabinets is very simple (gain, tone & master) with mp3 input and phones output.

The Micro Terror uses 1 x 12AX7 (ECC83) in the pre-amp and the clean sound is very nice and warm, the overdrive is a little sharp.

I've opened the back of the cabinet to avoid the "boxy" sound and planned to switch to a Jensen Mod loudspeaker.

Hope this can help.

I don't keep an amp in the bedroom actually, but I always keep one in the living room for quiet noodling at sub TV volumes. Currently it is this one. It does the job perfectly. I can even play it while my 3 year old is sleeping in his room next door.

IMG_2701.jpg

BTW, I've owned a number of the amps mentioned in this thread. I currently have the JTM1-H also and it's a great one. I have a Special 6 Ultra head still too. It fits the bill nicely but it's a very large head - it hangs way over the pictured 1-10 cab. I've also owned the Blackheart 5 watt head, The Marshall Class 5, and the original Orange Tiny Terror head. The fact that those are gone tells you how I felt about them compared to the ones still in the stable. [biggrin]

• 4 weeks later...

I used to work at a Laney dealer back in the 80's.......then we took on Bedrock.......at that time my "bedroom amp" was a Bedrock 1400 Head on a vintage Laney 4x12 cab......neighbors loved me.....lol.

Just picked up a Laney Cub 12R.......cool little tube amp with that deep tone that I remembered from the Laney's back in the day. Great sound for the price!!!

NHTom

Yamaha THR10 for really quiet, great tone.

Blackstar HT5RH when I'm more serious but want to keep my hearing intact. This HT5 is an amazing little amp that sounds great across the full volume range.

They'll be burying this one with me

Blackstar HT-5R little 5 watter that has nice clean tones on the clean channel and plenty of drive in the gain channel. Footswitchable channels, decent reverb. I did swap out the pre-amp tube for a Ruby which gives a little more headroom on the gain channel before breaking up. Also for silent playing it has a great emulated output that you can plug headphones into and you just leave the amp on standby - sounds great for late night practice. So it's very good for low volume (no volume) stuff, and I take it to band rehearsal and I can be heard over the drums and keyboards so it is versatile. [thumbup]

Blackstar HT-5R little 5 watter that has nice clean tones on the clean channel and plenty of drive in the gain channel. Footswitchable channels, decent reverb. I did swap out the pre-amp tube for a Ruby which gives a little more headroom on the gain channel before breaking up. Also for silent playing it has a great emulated output that you can plug headphones into and you just leave the amp on standby - sounds great for late night practice. So it's very good for low volume (no volume) stuff, and I take it to band rehearsal and I can be heard over the drums and keyboards so it is versatile. [thumbup]

Which tube specifically did you put in and where did you get it?

• 4 weeks later...

Been playing around with my new toy.........

101_0136_zps77e6bd96.jpg

Really enjoying it! Great tone and can get down very quiet without losing tone. I've only had it up to about half in the bedroom, but I can imagine it would keep up with a drummer in a practice setting.

thinking of adding the 2x12 cab that matches it.

NHTom

Archived