Gibson Brands Forums

Bedroom Amps

JAC

What do you think about the 7.5W power?

The Orange Tiny Terror Combo and Marshall DSL15C also have 7.5W power when reduced (from 15W).

My question is that if this 7.5W proper for "bedroom" playing?

(Help me I may get one of these amps.)

Depends on what you consider loud. Even the 1 watt Marshall could be loud. So yes 7.5 could be loud. Also if your play'n just clean then you can dial in a good bedroom tone with 50 watts. If you looking to push a tube amp into distortion then they all start to get loud unless they have some sort of power control or attenuator. Some amps will have a distotion channel that could be extra preamp tube like a VHT Special 6 Ultra or some sort of diode like they use in pedals like the Blackstar HT5.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on what you consider loud. Even the 1 watt Marshall could be loud. So yes 7.5 could be loud. Also if your play'n just clean then you can dial in a good bedroom tone with 50 watts. If you looking to push a tube amp into distortion then they all start to get loud unless they have some sort of power control or attenuator. Some amps will have a distotion channel that could be extra preamp tube like a VHT Special 6 Ultra or some sort of diode like they use in pedals like the Blackstar HT5.

yeah, my class 5 is 5 watts reduced to 3 watts I think (with the attenuator mod) and that's the max I can get it up to in my room for regular use. even that is loud... CLASS A my friend..... 5 watts is really loud, reserved on weekends only when wife and baby out... LOL.

I also have a VOX AC15C1, which is also nice for low volumes, but definitely opens up more at higher volumes.

edit: the AC15C1 isn't broken in yet I think. so it might get even better at lower volumes once this is done

edit 2: But, honestly, Im in love with the class 5 tone.

Tiny Terror was my next option but over budget. Id have to sell the class 5 to get the Tiny terror instead of the AC15C1. no way I would sell my class 5 now for whatever amp.

So I went with the AC15C1 (got the limited green one). has a very good reverb and quite versatile. I was looking at a fender, but I just preferred the VOX overdrive...

edit 3: the AC15C1 has a spring reverb vs digital on the marshall DSL...

Edit 4: hit up a GuitarCenter and ask to test the Tiny terror in their platinum room. make sure you get a floor one that has a broken in cab. and test it at different volumes.

Orange takes very well pedals. You'll see what it sounds like. I haven't done that (because I didn't want to stretch the budget... already bough too much crap lately).

I would also try the DARK TERROR! Tell me how it sounds. I might get one of those :)

lg_AC15C1-BRG.jpg

What do you think about the 7.5W power?

The Orange Tiny Terror Combo and Marshall DSL15C also have 7.5W power when reduced (from 15W).

My question is that if this 7.5W proper for "bedroom" playing?

(Help me I may get one of these amps.)

loud as in annoying your neighbours or easy on your ears. 5 watts of tube on 12 is loud, but thin and harsh, to my ears anyway. that would draw some knocks at my door! hahaha the low watt craze is fueled by players who are tired of tinnitus or losing their hearing to 50 watts of floor leveling boom. yah. you want to consider tone. does the orange at 7.5 watts have the sound you want, then the answer is yes. switching from 15 watts (in pentode) to 5 watts (triode) on my Ibanez TSA15, by the owner's manual, says you get all of the crunch at lower listening levels. in other words, to get that crunch on a higher wattage amp you have to turn the volume/gain up high, right? Or use an overdrive pedal. it's a sound quality issue, what do you want to do? i always consider my neighbours first before turning up the volume and ask 'is what i'm practicing creating a cacaphony' or is it pleasing to my ears? believe it or not there's a camp of enthusiasts that are merely in love with the sound that an electric guitar and amp make on full volume ... with distortion and as many pedals on as the poor plug in the wall will take. that's just noise at any level and crappy music will draw knocks at the door too! i personally like the clean sound of fender amps. if it doesn't sound good without all the effects then any amount of effects aren't going to solve that problem. there's a place for effects, but ... there's such a thing as bad practice at any volume. :) reference: the squeaky violin

5 watts of tube on 12 is loud, but thin and harsh, to my ears anyway

that really depends on the amp and the cab honestly (and your tuning)... But master volume amps have less of this max volume to crunch issue.

though a real overdrive is pedal to the metal ;-) can't beat a marshall plexi tube amp overdrive at max :D unless you want to play clean.

then that's where the wattage is important. 1 watt would not be enough headroom... 5 watts on a class AB will not be enough headroom. 5 watts on a class A will have enough room but you might hit the limit.

I bought one of these the other day...hand wired by a guy in Arkansas, got a killer deal an a great little amp.

Beau-Tone Amps

i also have the vox Nigh-train NT-15 it is pretty bad also but a little more than the bedroom even on 7.5 watts...telling you, the Beautone through a mini Marshall cab with a JBL 12" ...using 1978 "The Paul" I ran across last week.....it is some more bad.

that really depends on the amp and the cab honestly (and your tuning)... But master volume amps have less of this max volume to crunch issue.

though a real overdrive is pedal to the metal ;-) can't beat a marshall plexi tube amp overdrive at max :D unless you want to play clean.

then that's where the wattage is important. 1 watt would not be enough headroom... 5 watts on a class AB will not be enough headroom. 5 watts on a class A will have enough room but you might hit the limit.

headroom, ah, yes, that's the term i was looking for! your 'headroom' comes from your power tubes and the higher wattage amp is going to have more power tubes and more ... headroom. i've tried 12" cabs with a 5 watt tube combo and the larger drivers disperse or push more air than the 6" driver that's in the combo. it's possible to get more out of a 5 watt tube amp ... a 4x12" cab and a 5 watt tube head is going to sound more present than the head with just a 1x6" driver. it's debatable how much more you can get, i don't think you would get much more out of a 150watt speaker with a 5 watt head because the power just isn't there to drive it. the highest wattage speaker with that low power head, the speaker capacity is wasted, or unutilized. i'd match a 5 watt head with a 15 watt speaker, with that you'd get speaker breakup at highest volumes or try a 30 watt speaker and less speaker distortion. there are variables to how efficient the speaker is at pushing air, for example, a celestion blue 15w is going to be more efficient than a crappy 30watt speaker and probably sound as loud. a good rule of thumb to match speaker wattage to amp power wattage is about 3:1 or for a 5 watt, 15 watt speaker at least with tubes (solid state likes to match the power of the amp and the speaker more closely). don't cut the speaker wattage short, say a 5 watt head and a 5 watt speaker ... total farts blowing out of the box. unless you like the speaker farting. the crunch/saturation comes from the power of the power tubes. the higher wattage amp is likely to give you more of that fat, greasy, creamy overdrive when pushed, but you know that's got to be pushed at higher volume.

Low wattage is over rated IMO. I have a 60w blackstar that I get comfortable bedroom levels and tones with. When wife isn't home i get great neighborhood tones. The secret is in the master volume. With separate channel vol and gains and a 5 band eq, its easy to dial in what I need. With the low watt amps, especially those single chan like the class 5, you have to drive it hard and crank em which makes them ear piercing,at times. Get a mid wattage am with a master volume

Get a mid wattage am with a master volume

Flame me if I'm wrong but lore says that using the MV sort of cheating in a way, in that it overdrives the preamp as opposed to power tubes which which, when pushed result in what some would call "real" overdrive (albeit very LOUD, even with a 5 watt amp). Most places I've read poo on preamp tube distortion. FWIW, I don't see the problem with using an MV to get low volume crunch.

Also, do two channel amps use their "drive" channel to overdrive the preamp or power tubes? These amps can achieve breakup at bedroom volumes using their "drive" channels (Attenuator?). Or do they incorporate a "overdrive pedal" circuit like the Ibanez with it's Tube Screamer inside). I have never been clear on this point. [confused]

Flame me if I'm wrong but is using the MV sort of cheating in a way, in that it overdrives the preamp as opposed to power tubes which which, when pushed result in what some would call "real" overdrive (albeit very LOUD, even with a 5 watt amp). Most places I've read poo on preamp tube distortion.

Also, do two channel amps use their "drive" channel to overdrive the preamp or power tubes? These amps can achieve breakup at bedroom volumes using their "drive" channels (Attenuator?). Or do they incorporate a "overdrive pedal" circuit like the Ibanez with it's Tube Screamer inside). I have never been clear on this point. [confused]

If you want to play a football stadium, then sure, crank 100 amp all day long for true power amp distortion, but who can really do that? Friend I have in bands that play hard rock and metal get yelled at for being too loud at certain venues with half stacks, so how is that feasible at home? It's not, unless you live in the boonies. I don't now the technicalities of exactly how the multi channel amps work with pre amp stages and all that. I just know that each of my blackstar amps,has a volume and gain setting which allows me to get plenty of crunch and lead tones without the cops at my door.

If you want to play a football stadium, then sure, crank 100 amp all day long for true power amp distortion, but who can really do that? Friend I have in bands that play hard rock and metal get yelled at for being too loud at certain venues with half stacks, so how is that feasible at home? It's not, unless you live in the boonies. I don't now the technicalities of exactly how the multi channel amps work with pre amp stages and all that. I just know that each of my blackstar amps,has a volume and gain setting which allows me to get plenty of crunch and lead tones without the cops at my door.

Point well taken. For the record, I don't necessarily agree with those who dismiss preamp tube distortion. An AC15 sounds just fine with the Volume up and the MV down.

This seemed to become a tube discussion more than what amp are you using in the bedroom, i could get cheeky with the topic, but will save it for another time.

when i began playing, i use to use the Tom Scholz Rockman when i didn't want to disturb the parents, plus i could clip it on my belt, and walk around with it.

since then i have used many different things.. Pevey, Crate, Fender, and now have a Line 6 Spider IV 75 modeling amp.

great tones at a low volume, but it does change a lot when i start getting into the power, and start moving some air with the Celestion speaker.

so i need to have 2 banks of presets, at home setting, and a live / studio setting.

headroom, ah, yes, that's the term i was looking for! your 'headroom' comes from your power tubes and the higher wattage amp is going to have more power tubes and more ... headroom. i've tried 12" cabs with a 5 watt tube combo and the larger drivers disperse or push more air than the 6" driver that's in the combo. it's possible to get more out of a 5 watt tube amp ... a 4x12" cab and a 5 watt tube head is going to sound more present than the head with just a 1x6" driver. it's debatable how much more you can get, i don't think you would get much more out of a 150watt speaker with a 5 watt head because the power just isn't there to drive it. the highest wattage speaker with that low power head, the speaker capacity is wasted, or unutilized. i'd match a 5 watt head with a 15 watt speaker, with that you'd get speaker breakup at highest volumes or try a 30 watt speaker and less speaker distortion. there are variables to how efficient the speaker is at pushing air, for example, a celestion blue 15w is going to be more efficient than a crappy 30watt speaker and probably sound as loud. a good rule of thumb to match speaker wattage to amp power wattage is about 3:1 or for a 5 watt, 15 watt speaker at least with tubes (solid state likes to match the power of the amp and the speaker more closely). don't cut the speaker wattage short, say a 5 watt head and a 5 watt speaker ... total farts blowing out of the box. unless you like the speaker farting. the crunch/saturation comes from the power of the power tubes. the higher wattage amp is likely to give you more of that fat, greasy, creamy overdrive when pushed, but you know that's got to be pushed at higher volume.

putting back in context... we're talking about bedroom amps.... My point is the Class 5 will have enough headroom and incredible Marshall classic tone... for a bedroom and specially recording. (but yeah a 4x12 cab is nice for extra fill)

Low wattage is over rated IMO. I have a 60w blackstar that I get comfortable bedroom levels and tones with. When wife isn't home i get great neighborhood tones. The secret is in the master volume. With separate channel vol and gains and a 5 band eq, its easy to dial in what I need. With the low watt amps, especially those single chan like the class 5, you have to drive it hard and crank em which makes them ear piercing,at times. Get a mid wattage am with a master volume

there is an attenuation mode on the class 5 and it also takes pedals very well

speaker play also a great part of it. their response is important for low volume quality. some amps with a master volume will still suck at low volume. Like a fender blues deluxe. low volume isn't that impressive but when you crank it up a little it becomes amazing. though still too high for bedroom practice...

Though I never tried the blackstar and always heard only great things about them.

I own a Yamaha THR5, fantastic space saver. Sounds really good too.

Once I got that I put the Peavey Vypyr in the closet.

Anyway- Peavey Vypyr another consideration.

I like all the built in effects.

Any amp can be a bedroom amp in my opinion.

Bigger amps, even at low vol have their own sound,

-adjust volume as needed.

Thanks for those who replied my question on Marshall DSL15C.

I think I like the Marshall DSL15C.

My other alternative is Hughes&Kettner's Tubemeister 18 Combo. The attenuator of H&K can swich from 18W, 5W and 1W. That's a good thing.

But I like Marshalls in general, since they give warmer sounds. I don't know. Maybe I should try at the store when I'm buying.

I have a hand wired 5 watt blackheart. Very nice. The blackheart stock isn't bad at all either. If you use a simple lbp1 to help thicken It up a bit it sounds sweet. Also will keep up with a drummer that isn't John bonham. I'm a big fan of this Lil guy. Also I have owned the epi valve junior. I tell you this, the combo with the 8 will not only keep up with a drummer ( with a boost pedal) it's great sounding. I owned the half stack head and cab version too and didn't like it as much.

Right now people are realizing that low watt amps are king. I'm a big fan of them. By low watt I'm refering to around 5 watts or under. I've been a fan of big sound in small package for some time now. Here are some of the ones I've managed to track down so far: Silverface Fender Vibro Champ 6 watts, Marshall Class5 5 watts, Marshall JTM1 1 Watt. Vox AC4TV 4 Watts, Vox Lil' Night Train 2 watts and Blackstar HT-1 1 watt.

I recently played a Marshall 1w dsl head in my local music store and I was stunned totally awesome u don't lack anything you'd expect from a Marshall I was thinking maybe 1w amp wouldn't be upto much but I'm defiantly considering buying it as what more do u want in your bedroom I couldn't even have it up halfway it was that loud 1w Marshall amps r serious kit

• 1 month later...

I recently played a Marshall 1w dsl head in my local music store and I was stunned totally awesome u don't lack anything you'd expect from a Marshall I was thinking maybe 1w amp wouldn't be upto much but I'm defiantly considering buying it as what more do u want in your bedroom I couldn't even have it up halfway it was that loud 1w Marshall amps r serious kit

Yes they do! For the guy who was inquiring about the DSL-15C. I tried one out and wow! It has a great sweet 6V6 tone. The clean is alright but, I found even in just the first dirt stage it sounded great with a Les Paul Standard. I plan on checking one out again in the future with a Strat or Tele. I could see me offing my 76 Fender SR and, getting one of these!

Archived