Gibson Brands Forums

ebony fingerboards xP

nikko18

I think it would be noticeable' date=' but not like night and day. I just don't believe that the fretboard has THAT much of an influence on tone; at least, not nearly as much as pickups and amps.[/quote']

Maybe the differences wouldn't be noticable for many of us. I just care about the very little details in tone and for me personally such little differences can be like 'night and day'. Maybe I'm just too picky, but it's all to make clear that there really are tone differences between ebony and rosewood (apart from the pickups/amp).

Some interesting info from the internet about ebony fretboards:

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:OmMV2ZLq4sUJ:www.edroman.com/customshop/wood/gaboon.htm+ebony,+quality+fretboards&hl=nl&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=nl

Ebony on a Les Paul style guitar is not the preferred fingerboard. The guitar just does not sound like a Les Paul when there is an Ebony fingerboard. Zack Wylde, Peter Frampton, & Ace Frehley to name a few use Ebony fretboards on Les Paul's but their sound is not the true Les Paul sound.

I always thought that ebony boards on LP's were better suited for the heavy stuff (hardrock/metal) than rosewood, while rosewood is the more 'musical', 'softer' board in every aspect.

Maybe the differences wouldn't be noticable for many of us. I just care about the very little details in tone and for me personally such little differences can be like 'night and day'. Maybe I'm just too picky' date=' but it's all to make clear that there really are tone differences between ebony and rosewood (apart from the pickups/amp). [/quote']

But here's the point: Unless you took a single guitar and compared several different examples of ebony and rosewood fretboards on that same guitar, how can you really know how much of a difference it makes? As impractical as it sounds, I'm talking about taking a single guitar and gluing different fretboards onto it's neck for comparison. I mean, I've read that ebony emparts a brighter tone but I've never read about anyone quantifying just how much brighter ebony is using some sort of scale.

I can tell you that a Strat I have with a maple fretboard seems brighter than the Strat I have with a rosewood one as I took the pickups from one and stuck them in the other but how much of that was a preconceived notion? I think there was a bit of a difference as I couldn't stand how the bridge pup sounded through an overdriven amp when in the one with the maple fretboard and I find it a little less annoying in the one with the rosewood fretboard but is that all due to the fretboard? One Strat is a MIA 57 RI and the other is a MIM Standard and there are other differences involved besides just the fretboard.

Believe me, you're not the only one around here with golden ears; I'm picky as hell too but I think it's largely a pointless cause to compare Les Pauls with rosewood fretboards to those with ebony fretboards when it comes to tone as there are too many other factors that have a much greater influence that will render any differences in the fretboard wood moot. You're better off just comparing different Les Pauls as a whole and considering the fretboard material as choice when it comes to aesthetics.

Some interesting info from the internet about ebony fretboards:

http://www.edroman.com/customshop/wood/gaboon.htm

Ebony on a Les Paul style guitar is not the preferred fingerboard. The guitar just does not sound like a Les Paul when there is an Ebony fingerboard. Zack Wylde' date=' Peter Frampton, & Ace Frehley to name a few use Ebony fretboards on Les Paul's but their sound is not the true Les Paul sound.[/i']

I always thought that ebony boards on LP's were better suited for the heavy stuff (hardrock/metal) than rosewood, while rosewood is the more 'musical', 'softer' board in every aspect.

I wouldn't use Ed Roman as a source for information. I've seen too many flags out there that make me question his knowledge and business ethics.

Had an ebony board on a mid 90s Studio I sold in '98. Lovely black color with some strange looking dark brown wood stripes in it. Loved both the feel and look, but that LP sounded a bit too "dull", but that probably had nothing to do with the fretboard.

The only effect I can see ebony having would be to harden the contact between the fret+string and the mahogany neck. Rosewood is probably a bit softer, dampening the contact.

Then again, dense pieces of Rosewood could probably sound just as bright as a "soft" piece of ebony, wood is after all not mass produced.

Also, how it's glued to the neck could neutralize or emphasize the same effect.

That said I guess most people, myself included, would never hear the difference unless you somehow used the exact same guitar and simply replaced the fretboard only for a "true" A/B test.

I disagree with Boston on the whole "black LPs with RW boards are ugly" thing. A mate of mine had a black Standard back in the '90s with a fairly bright and light brown rosewood board, and I do think that it looked great on that guitar. Very "figured" rosewood if you know what I mean, lots of stripes and stuff going on on it. But as we all know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :D/

I don't really give a damn what a board looks like. I can't see it from where I stand.

To me, ebony feels "tighter", doesn't give, and has a "non giving" feel.

Rosewood is more "forgiving".

As for sound, it's all in your head. Your pickups are STUPID! They have no idea what kind of fretboard, pick, or beer you like. And they don't give a damn, nor do I.

Murph.

A decision on what...your mommy buying you a $4' date='000 guitar? Kid, you're a tard...

Stick with your Epiphone and flannel shirt.[/quote']

No kidding - you don't need to jump from Epi to LP Custom... Go get yourself an LP Studio or something. Great guitars, and great transition from cheap to quality.

Oh, and I can't tell too much of a difference when it comes to sound of the fretboard - but I can ALWAYS tell a difference by the FEEL. Always! Ebony is much smoother. It's more dense, so the fibers are closer and there is less friction between your finger and the board.

I wouldn't go for an Epiphone or LP Studio. Why not? Because you'll regret that later...You'll have to sell the Epi/Studio a few years later to get the LP of your dreams; a Custom. You'd probably look back and think to yourself: 'Wow, these cheap LP's were really crap compared to this tone monster'.

If you feel that you deserve a LP Custom I'd go for it. If you feel that you aren't worth a LP Custom I'd go with an Epiphone (and not the Studio).

Archived