Gibson Brands Forums

Southern Jumbo Rosewood

je302

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with these guitars? I just purchased a 1991 Southern Jumbo with Rosewood back and sides, Banner logo, unbound fretboard, and TV style case. I basically bought it because I had never seen one before. From what I gather Gibson made a short run of these in 1991 and modeled them after the rare 1942-43 rosewood SJ's. Its a nice sounding guitar, definately more subdued than my AJ, and not quite the bass of my standard hog SJ. I was just curious if anyone has played these guitars and has any opinions, or knows how scarce they are, or any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, here are some pic's

IMG_2327_zps4f7b73fc.jpg

IMG_2324_zpsc9893814.jpg

IMG_2322_zpsb916b459.jpg

Fuller's did a 43 reissue rosewood SJ last year and in a recent e-mail reply they said they still have them or can get them. Yours looks great. This exact guitar is next on my wish list...banner with script logo, SJ appointments and rosewood for a different flavor from my J45 standard.

I also would have thought the rosewood would have provided a bit more bass, maybe needs be played and opened up?

A gorgeous guitar! Congratulations.

All of the original rosewood SJs shipped in 1943 and like your guitar had backs and sides of Indian rosewood (contrary to the assertion in Fab Falttops that they were Brazilian). In my book I estimate that there were between 100 & 200 original rosewood SJs.

Here's my comparison of vintage rosewood and mahogany SJs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb-mGfC-vfI

In 1991 Gibson made 15 Southerner Jumbos in Indian Rosewood. They built 5 in Brazilian.

In 1992 they made 66 in Indian Rosewood. They built none in 1993 and only one in 1994.

It's interesting as the Rosewood version appeared in the pricelist in 1991 and the suggested retail was $1849.00. The Mahogany version was $1649.00.

Neither version appears in the pricelist in 1992 so the production was probably made for the Japanese market as they are very fond of the guitar

The Mahogany verssion next shows up in the 1999 pricelist.

Gibson did make close to 300 Mahogany S.J's from 1991 to 1998 and the bulk of them were for the Japanese market.

Nick, that is a beautiful hunk of wood!!! would love to hear how that sounds!

Hogeye, So are you saying that my SJ is likely 1 of 15 made in 1991? I have tracked the serial # and it dates to 1991, back and sides def look like Indian RW, fingerboard looks like it is possibly brazilian RW. I have never seen another one like it thats for sure.

Thanks again everyone for contributing!

Here are a couple of views of the back and sides of one guitar from the near-mythical batch 910 rosewood SJ's from 1943:

A beautiful guitar, Nick. Thanks for posting the pics. Do you know the history of that guitar? I believe that it's the only rosewood SJ that I've seen without the heel cap. Are you sure it's not from batch 924, 8074, 8075, or 2005, the other rosewood batches?

That's a batch 910 SJ in my video. I've now played 4 from that batch and all have been stellar.

Batch to je302, that's a very nice guitar you've scored!

Nice guitar there. I had one of the Fuller's run for awhile. I hope you enjoy it!

This was mine. I put the fire stripe guard on it.

rosewoodsjnew.jpg

I have a chance to get one of these what did you think of it as a companion to a J 45 and a maple sj200

Thx

A beautiful guitar, Nick. Thanks for posting the pics. Do you know the history of that guitar? I believe that it's the only rosewood SJ that I've seen without the heel cap. Are you sure it's not from batch 924, 8074, 8075, or 2005, the other rosewood batches?

That's a batch 910 SJ in my video. I've now played 4 from that batch and all have been stellar.

JT, this guitar was at the Orlando show last year. I didn't check the FON, because I didn't realize there was more than one batch of rosewood SJ's in that first year.

For some reason, I didn't quite have enough money in my wallet to buy this one that day......

I have a chance to get one of these what did you think of it as a companion to a J 45 and a maple sj200

Thx

I think it would compliment the other two you mentioned. After much (enjoyable) faffing about, I have settled on my 1951 J45 (hog), 2012 J200 TV (maple) and my Roy Smeck re-issue (rosewood). These three will see me through and are excellent examples of the tone woods I was interested in. I'd say go for it unless you can find yourself a nice AJ as your rosewood example.

JT, this guitar was at the Orlando show last year. I didn't check the FON, because I didn't realize there was more than one batch of rosewood SJ's in that first year.

For some reason, I didn't quite have enough money in my wallet to buy this one that day......

nick,

Thanks! Yeah, these original rosewood SJs are way over my budget, too. But, judging from those I've played, they are worth every penny. Before I began my research and put up my registry (on which Willi has done most of the work), folks thought that there was only one batch and that they were of Brazilian rosewood. But, ...

nick,

Thanks! Yeah, these original rosewood SJs are way over my budget, too. But, judging from those I've played, they are worth every penny. Before I began my research and put up my registry (on which Willi has done most of the work), folks thought that there was only one batch and that they were of Brazilian rosewood. But, ...

I didn't know or care whether it was Brazilian or EI or whatever. I thought it was a staggeringly beautiful piece of wood for both the back and the sides. First time I had ever seen one in person. Can't remember if they wanted $12,500 for it or $17,500, but it might as well have been a million.

I didn't know or care whether it was Brazilian or EI or whatever. I thought it was a staggeringly beautiful piece of wood for both the back and the sides. First time I had ever seen one in person. Can't remember if they wanted $12,500 for it or $17,500, but it might as well have been a million.

Nick, but in either event, by far the cheapest vintage rosewood Banner SJ about which I've ever heard.

Next time, call me!

Nick, but in either event, by far the cheapest vintage rosewood Banner SJ about which I've ever heard.

Next time, call me!

Next time (if there is one), I may just buy it myself. I was more interested in the one-owner 1934 Super 400 below at the time, but I've satisfied my archtop urge with a much more rational instrument.

Guitar prices are a funny thing. I'm perfectly comfortable owning and playing $5000 guitars, but put a guitar in my hands worth more than $10k, and I get nervous.

1934Super400.jpg

I think it would compliment the other two you mentioned. After much (enjoyable) faffing about, I have settled on my 1951 J45 (hog), 2012 J200 TV (maple) and my Roy Smeck re-issue (rosewood). These three will see me through and are excellent examples of the tone woods I was interested in. I'd say go for it unless you can find yourself a nice AJ as your rosewood example.

Thanks for your insight...

I do have a chance at an AJ but I seem to want "that" banner head stock...am I crazy

The AJ is a great strummer ........

o you suppose Bozeman would build me a AJ with a banner??? :unsure:

O well my dilemma....sorry for the HJ fellas....

• 3 months later...

Thanks for your insight...

I do have a chance at an AJ but I seem to want "that" banner head stock...am I crazy

The AJ is a great strummer ........

o you suppose Bozeman would build me a AJ with a banner??? :unsure:

O well my dilemma....sorry for the HJ fellas....

An AJ with a banner headstock would be a complete historical mis-match. Don't even think of it. If you want a rosewood slope guitar with a banner headstock, get them to build you a rosewood SJ, like the first SJ batch back in 1942/'43.

Archived