Gibson Brands Forums

Touched the tabu – Did the forbidden

E-minor7

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stein and EA, it has nothing to do with the '63 SJ, to which I've had an ambivalent relationship since I got it from Ohio 2 years back. At the one hand plain adore its tone – at the other been fighting this talked about over dry, porous even hollow bi-flavor in the highs by all thinkable means : the bone/wood combo insert, wooden pins and this weekend also a wine-cork washer pressed against the underside of the treb-side-top by nothing else than the original bolt (to keep the zone quiet). Not to mention the piece of chewing-gum wrapped in duct-tape placed below the combo-insert - yes, you heard me.

Now everything is original on this guitar apart from the bridge and bridge plate (might be this you recall Stein) and my holy theory is that those two components need to be played in – simply in order to catch the vibe of the rest of that half a century old timber. Sounds extreme, but I feel it coming and can now play half a step down, where only a whole was possible in the beginning.

So much for the more and more magnificent Southern Jumbo – see it as a little entertainment before the big disclosure around midnite, European time - clock is ticking.

And negative – I'm no rockyrollin' star, have to disappoint you, but I once shook hands with Ian Anderson heheh. . .

Bought that '43 SJ out from under EA, and sent it off to a furniture shop to be refinished so we wouldn't notice, eh?

Ooouuuuhhh no sir, but how for an idea - you can sleep easy EuroAssie.

"And negative – I'm no rockyrollin' star, have to disappoint you, but I once shook hands with Ian Anderson heheh. . ."

was that a flute in his pocket or was he just glad to see you!!

I once shook hands with Robert Junior Lockwood (Robert Johnson's stepson) who looked about 120 years old, but wasn't, and then he told me to keep away from his guitars and, NO, he didn't want any help loading out from shifty looking Australian! True story!

So Em7's news: no Taylor purchase - no Ovation or such - no Martin, and he is not an ex Rock Star.....

Perhaps he has bought a Fender Stratocaster (Red maybe) and his 'Acoustic Monkness' is over for the time.........

OR

He has bought a carbon fibre guitar (Rainsong) and .....

Don't know - will have to wait...

BluesKing777.

After months of fasting and meditation, the Acoustic Monk received the revelation that according to the Mayan calendar, the year 2013 is actually the year 2525.

He sent all his acoustic guitars off to Denny Zager to be converted using the EZ-Play system.

It was not a successful operation, and Em7 is now desperately seeking the correct crossroads someplace in Mississippi so he can get his mojo back.

It's a sad day in the monastery......

Stein and EA, it has nothing to do with the '63 SJ, to which I've had an ambivalent relationship since I got it from Ohio 2 years back. At the one hand plain adore its tone – at the other been fighting this talked about over dry, porous even hollow bi-flavor in the highs by all thinkable means : the bone/wood combo insert, wooden pins and this weekend also a wine-cork washer pressed against the underside of the treb-side-top by nothing else than the original bolt (to keep the zone quiet). Not to mention the piece of chewing-gum wrapped in duct-tape placed below the combo-insert - yes, you heard me.

Now everything is original on this guitar apart from the bridge and bridge plate (might be this you recall Stein) and my holy theory is that those two components need to be played in – simply in order to catch the vibe of the rest of that half a century old timber. Sounds extreme, but I feel it coming and can now play half a step down, where only a whole was possible in the beginning.

So much for the more and more magnificent Southern Jumbo – see it as a little entertainment before the big disclosure around midnite, European time - clock is ticking.

And negative – I'm no rockyrollin' star, have to disappoint you, but I once shook hands with Ian Anderson heheh. . .

Ooouuuuhhh no sir, but how for an idea - you can sleep easy EuroAssie.

Was the wine a Cab? and what flavor was the chewing gum ? I might want to try this and don't want to cork it up.

Archived