Gibson Brands Forums

Touched the tabu – Did the forbidden

E-minor7

Right now there's a documentary on telly here about some Irish nomad tribes that live for fistfights. They travel around meeting other groups and every time an issue occurs it'll be sorted out by controlled old fashioned glove-less to the bitter end boxing. It's in their blood, they say, and their boy-kids are brought up to do it. Pheeew, , , man there's a long path to Nirvana, , , and presume there won't be much guitar playing as they go – hands must be in constant mess.

A direct link to your situation Nick – forgot about that accident, sorry. Can I ask which hand was injured.

JT – fine information about mister Kim Walker. That after-adjusting is almost an art-form. Would be good to hear from people who actually performs those skill – but they seem to be buried in a would of their own, seldom very verbal. 10 years is a lot – even for a young person. Guess one have to tap-tune into the virtue of patience – and that it might be worth it.

and i for one will certainly be playing guitar in 10 years if Im here..I will be playing till Im dead... amen

May our guardian A's be with us all -

A bit more about the Bird later.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now there's a documentary on telly here about some Irish nomad tribes that live for fistfights. They travel around meeting other groups and every time an issue occurs it'll be sorted out by controlled old fashioned glove-less to the bitter end boxing. It's in their blood, they say, and their boy-kids are brought up to do it. Pheeew, , , man there's a long path to Nirvana, , , and presume there won't be much guitar playing as they go – hands must be in constant mess.

A direct link to your situation Nick – forgot about that accident, sorry. Can I ask which hand was injured.

It was, unfortunately, my left hand. Most right-handed people who are not guitarists would probably scratch their heads as to why a right-hander would rather lose a finger on his right hand than his left hand. The little finger on your left hand is a pretty important tool, and mine works at about 50% at best. But I've tried to adapt.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, here we go – I sanded the braces of my Hummingbird True Vintage.

Thought about the possibility several times and as early as a few years back talked to an American luthier about where to start - (by then it was about my 1968 SJ). Not that the bird didn't sound good, not that it wasn't developing, but, , , I did try a couple of newer models since getting my '08 and they definitely were looser and slightly more projective. Where mine was born with this very tight thus precise character, the newer ones seemed less restrained, , , more free.

Now the ideal Bird/square to me, is a mellow voiced flyer. I want the low end to be almost doublebass-like and the rest to be sweet dripping nectar around the rather rough, almost primitive core, which is the basic nature of these creatures. That's pretty high expectations, but the Bird deserves them – and many, maybe not all, are able to fulfill such dreams - provide such qualities (at least over time).

I moved carefully and started with the lower tone-bars as recommended. My thin arm was just able to reach the one towards the bottom and after 20 strokes, then an extra 20 and 20 again on both, I felt how smooth they'd become. Then went on to the lower parts of the X. Gave them less, but enough to round the edges to some degree. Restrung and listened – yes, a difference there already : Looser !

Now played for a while, took a break, played, took a break, played, simply to manage the difficult phantomish A/B by approaching the well known guitar with empty ears as if nothing had happened. Decided to make a second go. Went in and gave the tone-bars some 40 brushes more and this time only the bass-side X-leg. Now after second restringing, the stings of course might have suffered a little power. That only convinced me about the effect of the raid. It was definitely looser, a tooth louder and therefor more bass-generous, , , , and glazed. Not only could I hear it, it was felt in the right hand under the first frets. The neck vibrated more than ever. I suddenly experienced the Bird coming out of the box in another way – it was as if it had grown. Compared it to the old stringed HD-28V – almost as loud ! Now that was something not to mistake. When I took up the pick the Bird thundered. Have to say that the mission had resulted in a less sharp/precise strum/flatpicking-sound - a slight touch of rumble had arrived. And of course – that's the logic on a plate right there. Must add also, that I felt the change bigger yesterday in the immediate wake of the trick than I did today. Haven't had time to really sink in to the Bird today, but will do during the next 2 hours. How much is real and how real that 'much' is, will be the focus. It's hard to measure as we all know ears change like flowers, but behind that lies the 'truth'. I'll continue reporting when I know more.

Now this was topic 1 -

Another just as important if not more important/interesting theme would be the ethics of all this. Have to assure you that I have no intentions whatsoever in the direction of selling this terrific Bird, but theoretically speaking we have a Q.

Is this deed to be considered a 'crime' and to which degree would I be 'forced'/would it be nessasary to tell about it in a sales situation. I underline again this is not the case here, but only bring it up as a subject for serious discussion.

All for now – I am hungry as a wolf and need a break. Will come back within an hour (after playing a bit). Look forward to your responses.

Best Thoughts -

I know it is bringing up an old thread Em7 and you are having ear problems, but I wondering about an update on the shaving business.

Is it still considered a success for the sound of the guitar?

I imagine there must a limit to how far the braces can be shaved, and I keep thinking what happens if you DO shave too much off. Does the top of the guitar collapse, fall off or just wobble around too much?

BluesKing777.

I know it is bringing up an old thread Em7 and you are having ear problems, but I wondering about an update on the shaving business.

Is it still considered a success for the sound of the guitar?

I imagine there must a limit to how far the braces can be shaved, and I keep thinking what happens if you DO shave too much off. Does the top of the guitar collapse, fall off or just wobble around too much?

Thanx for relaunching the thread, would have done it myself at some point when my hearing was back to normal, but I'll try with some sort of response.

As some might know, I bought a Hummingbird Std. just before going 'frost-deaf' 3 weeks back. Still have it for a test period and in small zones where the ears get a bit clear, I A/B like a juggling clown – and love it.

Yep, something definitely happened to the TV after the sanding in early January also – it loosened up, especially in the bass area and 3 or 4 things tell me it's not a mirage.

The way it responds when punched in a certain way with the nails.

The way it feels/sounds in dropped D.

And the way the vibes goes through the neck-wood.

In fact I even went one sanding step further since the first go's and now the rest is up to time. With all this said, the yellow/light brown Standard is a louder, looser and bassier square.

Just like I sensed when I encountered it so far away from home those weeks ago. It's a very nice guitar and generously pours glaze like plenty.

But, , , the TV has something, which is missing in the Standard's full bloom - the flavor of primal nature, recognized from the 60's ancestors, , , some vintage core deep in there behind all the sweetness.

And exactly that complex blend is one of the treasures and mysteries about the Hummingbird, in my opinion. It is so mellow, even close to feminine, but touched the right way it suddenly gets rough, barks and rocks. This double dimension - brilliantly recreated by Ren and staff – is the one thing that can't be found in the rich and btw. thicker back-braced Std.

Q is – would I have preferred the Std. if I only had one hog square. Perhaps yes. . .

Now in this lucky situation things are different. I have the F-bird and the re-necked 1966 C&W. These 2 cover all the Standard promises and more.

No, it's not an easy choice and the final decision isn't made, but everything points towards the beloved and utterly charismatic TV. (with the ingraved Hartford Snyder I modified with a few micro-strokes in cream hue).

Though the strings are faded, I play that sweety with dripping pleasure each day - also even tho only 75 % is heard. Besides the action is second to non and the looks still makes me wanna eat it.

So that's the scene right now – had quite some time to think it over. Don't think it'll change.

C.U. all.

Missed a detail here - will return

JT – fine information about mister Kim Walker. That after-adjusting is almost an art-form. Would be good to hear from people who actually performs those skill – but they seem to be buried in a would of their own, seldom very verbal. 10 years is a lot – even for a young person. Guess one have to tap-tune into the virtue of patience – and that it might be worth it.

[/size][/font]May our guardian A's be with us all -

A bit more about the Bird later.

Saw that documentary, it's called " Knuckle " , would be better named " Knucklehead (s) ".

Archived