Gibson Brands Forums

Who lives on both sides of the track?

geeterpicker

You always hear people say, "I'm a Gibson guy" or "I'm a Martin guy." I will admit that Martins came into my life first, but I always wanted a Gibson. Now that I have one, I have a foot firmly planted in each camp and feel good about it. After all, these companies are the ones that set the standard for all the other makers.

So I look down at my modest herd, since whittled, and I see a '71 Martin D-28, a '12 Gibson L-00 Pro, an '04 Huss and Dalton CM Custom, a '90 Guild D-40 NT CE, an '01 Rigel G-110 mandolin and an '07 Kamaka 6 string tenor uke. I feel I've spread the wealth among instrument builders and have tried to keep the quality level up there.

Are you strictly a Gibson guy/gal or do you have room in your heart for Martin and all the others? And when you shop boutique guitars, do you seek the qualities of Martin, Gibson or a blend of both worlds?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been mostly a Gibson guy since I was a kid. Stiil own my first, the 61 Melody Maker twin pickup/doublecut. During my many decades as a bar gigger I played a Strat for a while, and still own a 91 Tele, but always land back on the Gibsons.

i'm a lover of martin guitars ,had a d28 once , have gas for a nice guild from time to time , i'd like to have a bigger collection but as money dictates one guitar i just dont think theres a better looking guitar than a gibson and i've never owned a guitar that inspires me to pick up and play as much.

In my rock'n roll days (60's, 70's) I was a Fender and Guild man. Now in my sunshine years I have gravitated to Martin, Gibson, Loar, RK, and the new kid...Eastman. My favorites are Gibson and Eastman....but that can change with a GAS attack at any time! J.D.B)

Starting back in the 1960s I had a thing for Gibson acosutics and Fender electrics. These days though there is no rhyme or eason to what I own.

At last count there were three Gibsons hanging around - a 1942 J-50, 1946 LG-2 and a 1960 J-200 (this one is actually my wife's guitar). Balancing those out are a 1930s Kay Kraft round soundhole archtop; a late 1930s all-birch Supertone parlor; a 1972 Guild F112; a block letter Harmony Sovereign (which although still playable is needing some work); and a 1956 Epiphone FT-79. Looking down the road, about the only guitar I am interested in snagging is a lap guitar. Maybe a Regal as I like their hybrid X bracing.

The only electric in the house is a 1950s Oahu Tonemaster lap steel which I play through a Supro amp.

I guess we are a worse case -- we have over 50 of each. The newest is a 1969 (a Martin). Some of the Gibsons are banjos -- they are in the count -- but others are not (2 ukes, 3 electrics, 5 mandolins).

We play traditional folk and bluegrass. We collect sounds, not instruments, and each of ours has some musical role in our lives (my wife an I) -- we started over 40 years ago.

We find different instruments to be "perfect" for different music and situations. Mostly, we play acoustic -- we use mics when we perform, not pickups.

Historically, we mostly used Martins for bluegass guitar and Gibson for bluegrass banjo. In last five years, we have discovered some mid 30s Gibsons that we find to be the equal to our old bones and 18s -- specfically, a 36 AJ, a 35 Jumbo, and a 35 RSRG. I think they never got the press of the old Martins because they are so rare.

It is a wonderful life.

Let's pick,

-Tom

I get the impression that most guys into Gibby's have a certain appreciation for fine instruments and quality, and that aspect automatically includes other fine instruments. I mean, if you like Gibby's, it's hard not to like some of the Martin stuff.

Part of the equation also might be the fact that until Bozeman and Ren came along, Gibby wasn't really doing much, and Martin was first to deliver after the quality recession of the 70's.

I'm not a Bluegrasser (I like it, just can't play it). I get that Martin D-28's are THE Bluegrass instrument, and I know why. They have a power to them. But, I don't buy into the idea that Gibby's can't be as well. It doesn't HAVE to be a Martin, in my book. But, the Bluegrass connection and the D-28 rule I think plays into why some Martin guys are just into Martins.

When you are into such a degree of quality, it's rare that a fan doesn't recognize and like quality in another brand.

A good guitar is a good guitar.

I couldn't tell you the number of guitars that I've owned, sold, given away, or lost. Fenders, Gibsons, Hoffners, Silvertones, Lag, Yamaha, lord knows how many more odd and unusual guitars and guitar like instruments whose names I can't even remember ( please, no comments from my "friends" at this point)

I have one Gibson and a few other odd toys at the moment and despite my occasional joking " they can have my Gibson when they pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Wow, Did I sound like Charlton Heston ? :blink:

I couldn't tell you the number of guitars that I've owned, sold, given away, or lost. Fenders, Gibsons, Hoffners, Silvertones, Lag, Yamaha, lord knows how many more odd and unusual guitars and guitar like instruments whose names I can't even remember ( please, no comments from my "friends" at this point)

I have one Gibson and a few other odd toys at the moment and despite my occasional joking " they can have my Gibson when they pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Wow, Did I sound like Charlton Heston ? :blink:

Edit: BTW Stein, it's pre- Ren

I have tried to bond with Martins, went through 4 high end Martins a year ago (28, 28hb,Ec and a GC) I could not get used to the necks and when I A/Bed them to my Birds. The Martins sounded dry and played a bit stiff compared to the Birds.

But I didn't give up, I had my eye on a 0018 and took my best Bird a 2010, a gem, and a very very loud guitar and compared it to about 12 Martins (their entire stock) at Deitz Bros in Manhatten beach Ca. I had a pro guitar player with me. (Tom) I know we get alot of bragging here, but the Bird blew every Martin away, even the sales staff were amazed, and these guys do not care for Gibsons, but had to give grudging kudos to the Bird. It was louder and still had that honey tone.

Now I really think my 2010 Hummy is an exception, because I also have a 2003 with a nice honey tone, but it is a quiet guitar compared to the 2010.

I am still on the look out for that special Martin preferably a short scaled Hog.

BTW I do have MIM Martin 12 string that I record alot with, nice tone, nice fat neck fairly easy to play considering it is a 12 string.

I have more Gibson / Martin stories, all A/B ed at Guitar center in front of an impartial crowd.

Bottom line, yes I agree with the OP, I spread my purchases around depending on what I am looking for. Also prefer MIA now in my later years.

I get the impression that most guys into Gibby's have a certain appreciation for fine instruments and quality, and that aspect automatically includes other fine instruments. I mean, if you like Gibby's, it's hard not to like some of the Martin stuff.

Part of the equation also might be the fact that until Bozeman and Ren came along, Gibby wasn't really doing much, and Martin was first to deliver after the quality recession of the 70's.

I'm not a Bluegrasser (I like it, just can't play it). I get that Martin D-28's are THE Bluegrass instrument, and I know why. They have a power to them. But, I don't buy into the idea that Gibby's can't be as well. It doesn't HAVE to be a Martin, in my book. But, the Bluegrass connection and the D-28 rule I think plays into why some Martin guys are just into Martins.

When you are into such a degree of quality, it's rare that a fan doesn't recognize and like quality in another brand.

A good guitar is a good guitar.

I agree with Stein and might add I would like to add a few Martins in time =D

basically I'm the kind of guy who plays what my musical idols play ( I think alot of us start out as that kind of player)

JC

I guess we are a worse case -- we have over 50 of each. The newest is a 1969 (a Martin). Some of the Gibsons are banjos -- they are in the count -- but others are not (2 ukes, 3 electrics, 5 mandolins).

We play traditional folk and bluegrass. We collect sounds, not instruments, and each of ours has some musical role in our lives (my wife an I) -- we started over 40 years ago.

We find different instruments to be "perfect" for different music and situations. Mostly, we play acoustic -- we use mics when we perform, not pickups.

Historically, we mostly used Martins for bluegass guitar and Gibson for bluegrass banjo. In last five years, we have discovered some mid 30s Gibsons that we find to be the equal to our old bones and 18s -- specfically, a 36 AJ, a 35 Jumbo, and a 35 RSRG. I think they never got the press of the old Martins because they are so rare.

It is a wonderful life.

Let's pick,

-Tom

TOM ,

from what I've seen the AJ, 35 Jumbo and RSRG all sound majestic .

JC

The Gibson tone is what Im inherently drawn towards, but I think variety is good and hence I also own a Furch and a Martin. Would love to add a Collings to that stable perhaps one day.

I also played for first time a Martin 000-GE which really impressed me, had the projection and loudness of a dread.

Historically I've always been a Gibson guy, but I do like the smaller Martins, and have a lovely 30s 0-17 tucked in amongst the Kalamazoo herd. The dreadnaughts have a particular sound that isn't really to my liking - but I can see why others are so fond of them.

I can see the appeal of boutique guitars that mimic the qualities of classic Gibson or Martin guitars, but for me I'm more attracted to smaller companies that strike out on their own and bring something new to the table. In recent years I've started playing a pair of UK made Fyldes as my main acoustics, which have a wonderfully clear, balanced tone that is very individual and perfect for my playing style.

No doubt...I'm a complete Gibson guy. I've played Martins, and they're a fine guitar.

I like to think of a Gibson like a Harley...... a Martin like an Indian......

(Taylor like a Vespa).

Indians are fabulous machines, it's got to be a preference...but NO ONE should trade in a Harley so they can ride a Vespa!

You always hear people say, "I'm a Gibson guy" or "I'm a Martin guy." I will admit that Martins came into my life first, but I always wanted a Gibson. Now that I have one, I have a foot firmly planted in each camp and feel good about it. After all, these companies are the ones that set the standard for all the other makers.

So I look down at my modest herd, since whittled, and I see a '71 Martin D-28, a '12 Gibson L-00 Pro, an '04 Huss and Dalton CM Custom, a '90 Guild D-40 NT CE, an '01 Rigel G-110 mandolin and an '07 Kamaka 6 string tenor uke. I feel I've spread the wealth among instrument builders and have tried to keep the quality level up there.

Are you strictly a Gibson guy/gal or do you have room in your heart for Martin and all the others? And when you shop boutique guitars, do you seek the qualities of Martin, Gibson or a blend of both worlds?

Do you like your 71 D28? I ask because that is my graduation year (high school), I'd kinda like to buy a nice guitar from that year. Some Martin's from that period had issues is what I am told. But some are excellent.

I like both Martin and Gibson but tend to favor the Gibson sound more often.

I have a Martin Backpacker... [biggrin]

No Gibson acoustics...preferring upper mid range instruments from the likes of Takamine, Yamaha, Guild, Eastman...

Personal enjoyment in having/affording several interesting guitars for variety

Several Gibson electrics...solid, semi and hollow... [thumbup]

They are not the only guitar for inspiration though...

Following the Beatles' undoubted good taste

Room for Gretsch's, Ricks, Fenders etc...

V

:-({|=

I have my Gibson t-shirts and a recent purchase - a Gibson hat.

But in some ways, I am anybody's....

Dobro, Martin.....others.

Over 10 years ago in Australia, the $ exchange rate was about 60 AUS cents to the one US Dollar. I tried a brand new Martin EC 000-28 - all the rage at the time, and it did speak to me, but because of the low AUS exchange rate, the price was over $AU7,500.....forget it.

BluesKing777.

(Exchange rate is now $US gets $AU1.06 currently!)

Livemusic, I am very fond of my D-28. It came to me while I was working in my Dad's bar in '78. A guy just brought it in out of nowhere and wanted to sell it to me - for the comical price of $350. And it did have immediate issues I had fixed by a local guy. Then after a few years, it became unplayable, because of abuse it suffered before I owned it and also my being a dumb young kid who would leave it in a cold van. Anyway, in '93, I sent it to Martin for repair and when it came back, it was like getting a brand new guitar. It played so great. And they corrected the saddle issue that is well known to Martins of that vintage. Overall, they also did a neck reset, glued down some braces, replaced the bridge, saddle, nut and pickguard. It's not a guitar I could easily sell, because I gigged with it so much - and the way I acquired it was so seredipitous that I believe it was meant to be mine. And, it may just be me, but that guitar has new songs in it. A couple years ago, I had a pro set up and total refret done by a local guitar builder and it plays beautifully.

But back to our story...

Archived