Gibson Brands Forums

Who lives on both sides of the track?

geeterpicker

Was at the local shop the other day and was struck by the averageness of recent Martins: micarta boards, matte finishes (even on necks of high end moles) and a general smoothing out of tone. There was a Taylor (yes, you heard me right, a Tay), that sounded more 'old America' than these newbies form Nazareth. And Ive sent packing several recent issues Gibsons which, at the end of the day, didnt hold a candle to my beat '68 J50 (tho once played an OJ that did). In this frame of mind, I found this nugget todays inTodd Cambio's blog: " So many modern builders rely on CNC technology that their instruments are more hand assembled than hand made. Some folks think they look great, but I don't see a lot of distinction between some of the high end American makers and some of the stuff being made in China." Hm. Just saying, but these days, Im finding myself off the track. Still bonded with my National. Still looking for a flattop.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll also admit to having two Taylor'smsp_ohmy.gif which I do love even if they get a bad rap here. My very first guitar, the 314ce a very nice guitar at a moderate price with a beautiful warm tone to it. I keep this one at my daughters house in Nederland, Co. so I don't have to travel back and forth with a guitar each time I visit.

I'm with Stein here.... Taylors are perfectly fine guitars.... Vespas are perfectly fine motor scooters....

Some people are perfectly matched for Taylors and Vespas, but you won't find one in a Bluegrass band or an outlaw motorcycle gang.

My views might be tainted a big..... I was raised on Gibsons, (before I "went fender" and joind a Rock 'N Roll band, and I was raised on Harley's

before I "went corporate" with 4 door autos.

I'm with Stein here.... Taylors are perfectly fine guitars.... Vespas are perfectly fine motor scooters....

Some people are perfectly matched for Taylors and Vespas, but you won't find one in a Bluegrass band or an outlaw motorcycle gang.

My views might be tainted a big..... I was raised on Gibsons, (before I "went fender" and joind a Rock 'N Roll band, and I was raised on Harley's

before I "went corporate" with 4 door autos.

IMG_1844_zpsf290a773.jpg

Yup! Works just great for the time I'm up in Colorado. Came up yesterday to babysit my 6mo old grandson for a bit as my daughter goes back to work. Too cold to play outdoors now at 5 degrees (this pics from the fall) but love it when I can. This is one of Taylor's introductory models the 314ce. Very basic and plain but nice sounding and my very first guitar.

IMG_1844_zpsf290a773.jpg

Yup! Works just great for the time I'm up in Colorado. Came up yesterday to babysit my 6mo old grandson for a bit as my daughter goes back to work. Too cold to play outdoors now at 5 degrees (this pics from the fall) but love it when I can. This is one of Taylor's introductory models the 314ce. Very basic and plain but nice sounding and my very first guitar.

See? White wine, a Taylor and Colorado.... only thing missing is a Volve with "Save The Wales" in the background!

Actually, it looks beautiful there.... and I've played some very nice Taylors. When will you post a video?

Well, you're certainly not speaking for me or many others folks in this country. How the U.S. is perceived globally has a significant impact on everyone, either directly or indirectly. To think otherwise in this day & age of instant communication & global interdependency constitutes a shortsighted view of reality.

+1. I'm surprised and dismayed at the number of Americans who reveal such a limited view of the world and how we all interact and impact each other within it. Not only do they freely admit their lack of depth, they revel in it as if it's something of which to be proud. I blame poor education, an absence of intellectual curiosity as well as limited opportunity or gumption to get up , get out and get off the block they were raised on. It must be miserable to go through life a shxt- kicker from West-by god-Virginia never having seen Paris. I can see where that would stunt your ideas and view of the world. Pretty sad.

My current line up:

1951 J45

2007 Roy Smeck

2007 Original Jumbo (for sale)

2012 J200TV

1930 017

1960 D18

1960 Style 51 Baritone Uke

1964 016 NY

1972 D18 (for sale)

2009 00018 Marquis

2011 CS21-11

1960 Goya G10

Quite happy on both sides of the track, thanks very much.

My current line up:

1951 J45

2007 Roy Smeck

2012 J200TV

1930 017

1960 D18

1964 016 NY

1972 D18 (for sale)

2009 00018 Marquis

2011 CS21-11

1960 Goya G10

and so you should be ! nice family

a 1972 D18 ? same age as me

My current line up:

1951 J45

2007 Roy Smeck

2012 J200TV

1930 017

1960 D18

1964 016 NY

1972 D18 (for sale)

2009 00018 Marquis

2011 CS21-11

1960 Goya G10

OK, I dont feel so guilty for owning too many guitars now ...

See? White wine, a Taylor and Colorado.... only thing missing is a Volve with "Save The Wales" in the background!

Actually, it looks beautiful there.... and I've played some very nice Taylors. When will you post a video?

Yes, it is beautiful here at 8200 elevation takes my breath away!

I'm actually hoping to be able to get a video up before too long. I am still trying to figure out all thats involved with recording. I've been reading posts in the recording forum for tips and techniques and should be able to start some actual recording soon!

Yes, it is beautiful here at 8200 elevation takes my breath away!

I'm actually hoping to be able to get a video up before too long. I am still trying to figure out all thats involved with recording. I've been reading posts in the recording forum for tips and techniques and should be able to start some actual recording soon!

My brother got a recording deck....and spent last summer learning it, (he's a school teacher, so he has the summer off), but I just use the Zoom recorder.... set it up and let it record!

(not that they're any good, but they serve my purposes).

+1. I'm surprised and dismayed at the number of Americans who reveal such a limited view of the world and how we all interact and impact each other within it. Not only do they freely admit their lack of depth, they revel in it as if it's something of which to be proud. I blame poor education, an absence of intellectual curiosity as well as limited opportunity or gumption to get up , get out and get off the block they were raised on. It must be miserable to go through life a shxt- kicker from West-by god-Virginia never having seen Paris. I can see where that would stunt your ideas and view of the world. Pretty sad.

A little slow on the 'comeback' Rob....[lol] [lol]

Now that you got 'us' pigeon-holed' and 'categorized'....what ya gonna do with that[confused]

After that comment....which has no relevant truths and tries to categorize American citizens?

I am' proud' of my heritage from immigrants to this country!

I have traveled-

I am educated-

I have worked hard-

I am comfortable-

I have a good life-

I like where I live-

I love my wife and family-

I have probably done more in life than you haveI .....don't care if I haven't

The way that I see it.....+:-@

YOU fit a 'template' that I don't agree vwith

I fit a template that 'you' don,t agree with....

And I am right!

SORRY LOSER....

Yeah!....REAL sorry that YOU AIN'T P-R-O-U-D.... also..

And sorry that you are so insecure about yourself!.....And you called 'me'[lol] 'childish' in previous posts....

Cut it out, you lot!

Here is a laugh with nothing to do with anything:

BluesKing777.

Was a nice try and very funny.thank you for that! Watched it as I was dodging the testerone that was flying around.

My Gibson's bigger than yours? [biggrin] Actually, I've been neglecting this guitar (among others) since the CS21-11 arrived. I remedied that tonight and was reminded of just what an awesome guitar this J200 TV is. Right out of the box from Bozeman with only the most minor TR adjustment it plays like butter and sounds like a million. Wow.

DSC01367.jpg

Yeah...funny-ha-ha...

There really is no arguing with sound knowledge and reality. Its all that 'feel good' **** and mentality that gets you in trouble there 'Cracker".....#-o

I'll bet you throw the "N" word around pretty freely, too, don'cha. You seem like that kinda guy.

All the best,

Cracker

To understand whether large Gibsons or Martins are best from the 30s, you have to spend a few dollars and try a few.

30bigs.jpg

A few more years and we'll have a enough to decide for sure.

Let's pick,

-Tom

I hate to be all contrary and all, but I disagree.

I bet I could come right over there and formulate an opinion.

But I kinda agree in that if you did spend more and let me come over, I could formulate more opinion.

Archived