Gibson Brands Forums

Concerning neck resets..?

merseybeat1963

I think Gibson's warranty really only applies to manufacturer defects. Neck angle movement will probably fall under their "normal wear and tear" category and not be covered by warranty. Sucks, especially considering a neck reset from a good luthier can run $300-$400+

I bought a J200 last March, ordered through my local music shop.

The neck angle was off but I thought I could correct it with the saddle and being fresh from the factory maybe it needed some time to settle.

I took a saddle (not the original) down all the way to the bridge it it barely brought it down within spec.

This past week I gave it a once over and the guitar has not changed a bit.

I put the original saddle in and took it back to the dealer who is an authorized Gibson shop.

I'll see what happens. I do a lot of business with this shop, so I'm hoping for the best.

I bought a J200 last March, ordered through my local music shop.

The neck angle was off but I thought I could correct it with the saddle and being fresh from the factory maybe it needed some time to settle.

I took a saddle (not the original) down all the way to the bridge it it barely brought it down within spec.

This past week I gave it a once over and the guitar has not changed a bit.

I put the original saddle in and took it back to the dealer who is an authorized Gibson shop.

I'll see what happens. I do a lot of business with this shop, so I'm hoping for the best.

The shop called me and said they were sending it back to Gibson for evaluation and they feel it defintely needs a neck reset.

I had a Martin guitar that I bought new, it was the best sounding guitar in the store in my price range but the neck wasn't perfect. I was hoping that some tweaking would fix it but I was wrong. Martin has local repair guy's every where and they will look at your guitar and determine weather or not it needs to be fixed or not. The neck on this guitar was obviously slightly twisted but the guy's I took it to would not cover it. I next called the plant and they said I could send it to them at my own expense and they would look at it but also said that they would likely agree with the guys I had already taken it to.

This is why I will never buy a new Martin again. A nice pre-1980's Martin that's perfect to start with would be another story but no new ones for me.

A guitar almost always leaves the factory needing a neck reset, and it wasn't noticed.

If you've gigged a guitar hard enough to cause it to need a neck reset, my hat is duffed to you, because even in my glory days of yore I couldn't do that. My experience with both of the electric guitar companies that matter is that they usually break before you do that.

If the neck left looking pretty decent but had some twist to it that is getting worse over time and tension, that's possible. If the truss can't be taken in any further and the bow in it has become permanent, that'd be a new neck possibly. Other than that, really bad storage in a bad spot in a bad position could mess it up pretty bad, but that would be immediately apparent to a discerning eye.

How long have you had it? What makes you say it needs a neck reset? Can you show someone that knows everything about guitars that it needs a neck reset? If you can, take to Gibson boy, show him you know what is up with this thing and why and how you know it, and I am sure they'll satisfy you. It'll take longer than you think, be more hassle than you want, but they'll do something, if even just offer you another one of the same guitar.

Good luck with it.

rct

A guitar almost always leaves the factory needing a neck reset, and it wasn't noticed.

That's disturbing... new guitars shouldn't need a neck reset. How can you tell if the neck needs resetting? I mean aside from when it's very obvious visibly.

That's disturbing... new guitars shouldn't need a neck reset. How can you tell if the neck needs resetting? I mean aside from when it's very obvious visibly.

A new guitar may take quite some time to show that it needs a neck reset. After it can't be set up anymore, doesn't intonate right at all, spots on the neck always out of tune no matter what. After all of the usual culprits have been eliminated, you end up with a guitar that basically has a neck at just the right amount of wrong angle. That right amount of wrong angle almost always came with the guitar.

It's not disturbing so much as it is how it is. You can only make so many in a row that are perfect, like everything else we buy.

rct

Archived