Gibson Brands Forums

Alnico Classic and Alnico Classic Plus Humbucker Pickups

Pickup Dude

Epiphone's sight is not much help so I have been combing the internet looking for specs & model numbers for the Epiphone Alnico Classic & Alnico Classic Plus Pickups.

What follows is my assumptions based on what I have found. If the experts could please read what follows and correct/confirm this information:

------------------------- Start of Assumptions --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "Alnico Classic" & "Alnico Classic Plus" pickups are not sold separately (they only come included with Epiphone guitars)

The "Alnico Classic" & "Alnico Classic Plus" Humbucker Pickups are Epiphone low cost versions of Gibson 490R & 498T and are made in China.

NECK Pickup

"F" Stamp means pole spacing: 50mm (1-15/16")

-8.1k ohms

-Alnico-V magnet

-output 6.5 out of 10.0 max

Model numbers include but are not limited to:

G-400 Neck = Alnico Classic with Chrome cover

57CH (G) = Alnico Classic with Chrome cover

HB6N (OPEN) = Alnico Classic Uncovered Six Neck

BRIDGE Pickup

"R" Stamp means pole spacing: 52mm (2-1/16")

-13.3k ohms

-Alnico-V magnet

-output 7.0 out of 10.0 max

Model numbers include but are not limited to:

G-400 Bridge = Alnico Classic Plus with Chrome cover

HOTCH (G) = Alnico Classic Plus with Chrome cover

HOTHB8B (OPEN) = Alnico Classic Plus Uncovered Eight Bridge

-------------- End of Assumptions --------------------------------------------------------------

************* References Follow ********************************

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/37618-epiphone-pickups/

The '57 Alnico Classic and the '57 Alnico Classic Hot... in covered and uncovered flavours.

Note that the uncovered PUs measure out exactly the same resistance as the covered ones.

----------------------------------------------------

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/60596-get-g-400-or-1966-g-400-spec-run/

Alnico Classic Humbucker has an Alnico V Magnet, rated at 8.5Kohms

Alnico Classic Plus Humbucker has an Alnico V Magnet, rated at 13.8Kohms (wound slightly hotter).

In a G-400 Series guitar, the typical pickups are:

HOTCH(G) Bridge (Alnico Classic Plus)

57CH(G) Neck (Alnico Classic)

On the back of the pup will be a sticker that will say either "HOTCH(G) or 57CH(G)" or

just simply "G-400 Bridge or G-400 Neck", based on which pup it is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pickups/79714-help-identifying-gibson-pickup.html

Epiphone 57CH(Classic) (Alnico5) 7.8 - 8.13 KO

Epiphone HOTCH(Classic +) (Alnico5) 13.3 – 14 KO

Epiphone HOTH8B (Alnico5) 13.14-13.58 KO

Epiphone HB6N (Alnico5) 8.12-8.30 KO

I am putting together a EDS-1275 clone and want to find "Alnico 5" covered and uncovered pickups similar to what Jimmy Page used. His guitar is very well documented and had:

6-String: 490R & 498T uncovered (they came from Gibson with covers however he removed them thinking the covers killed some of the tone)

12-String: 490R & 498T covered

Because I can't afford 490/498 I am looking for Epiphone Alnico Classic and Alnico Classic Plus in the covered and uncovered versions.

I want to wire the guitar like the G-1275 which does lead me to another question ...I am looking for a wiring diagram for the Epiphone G-1275 can someone post it?

Thanks

Here's one for the Gibson version:

http://www.gibson.com/Files/schematics/EDS-1275wiring.PDF

The EDS-1275 is a little different than the G-1275

the G-1275 has a three 3-way switches for IMO better output control. One of the switches is a Master neck select switch and the other two are Neck/Bridge PUP select (one per neck) There are 4 knobs: A Vol/Tone for 12-string neck and a Vol/Tone for the 6-string neck.

The diagram looks fine to me, however I have not played a double neck before. On your diagram the final 12/6 selector will have both guitars on in the middle position....is that how they are usually wired?

Correct I want both necks on in the middle. It sucks a lot of volume in this mode but you can move between necks without having to play with a switch.

I am not an electrical guru so I am wondering if this wiring configuration will work for a double neck?

Soldered up the guitar according to this diagram and it works exactly as I wanted.

So in the future if any one is looked for a Ephiphone G-1275 wiring diagram schematic they could use this one.

On another note if anyone knows of reasonably priced humbuckers that would be better than the Epiphone ALNICO Classics that I should consider please let me know. I am looking for something similar to what Jimmy Page use on his EDS-1275 Gibson 490 neck and 498 bridge.

Thanks

I see these on ebay for next to nothing.

Yes, the old discontinued models, like '57's etc. I never cared for them, too muddy. I always replaced them. Now that Epiphone has had Probuckers and Alnico Classics for the last two years, things are very different. Those are nice-sounding, clear PU's; big improvement. Those don't need to be upgraded.

Archived