Gibson Brands Forums

Need help choosing a tube amp for my LP

TZ18

I have a budget of 800$ and Ive got a gibson les paul traditional. I Play

Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Hedrix,Clapton, Stevie ray vaughn, randy rhoads, muddy waters, buddy guy, bb king - bassically blues rock. so what are your suggestions?

yours truelly

TZ18

Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Hedrix,Clapton, Stevie ray vaughn, randy rhoads, muddy waters, buddy guy, bb king - bassically blues rock. so what are your suggestions?

yours truelly

TZ18

Go tube...15-50 watts.

For that price...I would check out the Line 6 DT25. That single 12-inch speaker sounds as good as our vintage 4x10 Laney cab. The Bogner Alchemist is also a very excellent sounding amp for what you play. I got mine restocked a couple years ago for well under $800. We don't have one...but have heard the BlackStar amps in stores and they sound great too.

Vox and Fenders are too bright. Mesa's are too pricey or too much wattage (but we love 40wt Nomad combo).

to me it would depend on what it's to be used for.

at home at lower levels, or in a band for live gigs.?

for a lower wattage amp you should be able to find something in your price range.

but for a live situation, you may want to save up a bit more, or look for something used.

I swear by Marshall, but they can get a bit spendy .

then the question is do you want a combo or a head / cabinet setup, which i prefer using a 4x12 bottom.

My take - and bearing in mind I need to think dollars and US market rather than UK market - is a Blackstar HT5R (combo or head + cabinet)plus a multi-pedal board like the Line 6 M13.

Alternatively, if you want to concentrate on just amps - an amp I very seriously considered recently was the Egnater Rebel 30 (either in combo or head + cabinet form) - you have the Egnater version of Blackstar's ISF control (UK through US tone options) plus the very useful 1 watt to 30 watt attenuator control.

Either option gives you a very useful set of tones. I'm not saying there aren't others just as good but these are my suggestions.

yours truelly

TZ18

Do you gig or is this for home use only?

Fender Blues Junior. Best 20w blues amp for the money. I've tried a lot of different amps and the BJR is the only one in this size & price range that I still think is a great amp (for blues.) You can "hot rod" them just a little bit and get a really GREAT amp.

A BJR with a hundred bucks of mods and an upgraded speaker is about as good as anything. [thumbup]

if you get on CARVIN.COM you'll see they have several types! I've got 2 100 watters,one is ss-SX300 and a tube X100B both are 2-12 combos! love'em both! had'em for several years and they work great!and they are made in the USA!! happy,happy,happy!

judging by your style of playing..alot of vintage tube amps will fit your bill and can be had for better deals then any new PCB amp made in China. Vintage amps are normally pretty straight forward with no bells or whistles. plug in and use your volume knobs to clean it up. an 18watt Marshall would be really nice and loud enough for any gig. the BJR's are great amps with a few tweaks like badbluesplayer said. 5E3 Tweed deluxes are also super nice, i have built a few of these and there are clones of these kicking around everywhere. I love my 5E3 clone and studio LP. Some food for thought....

Your price range will cover a lot of used Mesa. Can never go wrong with a Mesa and a Les Paul.

Should be able to pickup up to a Mark 3 for that price. Single Rec, or an Express. All have great clean channels, and are very flexible. The Rectifier is more for modern high gain, but can be tamed with tube choice.

Your price range will cover a lot of used Mesa. Can never go wrong with a Mesa and a Les Paul.

Should be able to pickup up to a Mark 3 for that price. Single Rec, or an Express. All have great clean channels, and are very flexible. The Rectifier is more for modern high gain, but can be tamed with tube choice.

+1 for Mesa. Try to find a used Express 5:25. EL84 tubes and a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. Perfect for what you play, unless you're gigging bigger venues.

yours truelly

TZ18

distinguish types of power tubes for amps: EL34, 6V6, 6L6. EL34's are characteristically Marshall, breakup early, 6L6 are the highest power tube you will find in low power amps. also consider the 'bias' in the amp. the cathode bias amp is about as plug n' play as you find as far as changing brand of tube (not type though). as far as the zeppelin goes, page started with something like a modded 12" supro (about 18 watts, 6L6's) in the studio on # 1. that doesn't seem like a lot when you consider the force of the recordings. as for branding you can get a lot with 800.00 in the 15-30 watt range in a tube amp. i've seen van halen clones play the peavey 6505's. perhaps your question is a bit broad, to look for the 'all in one' amp. most of those artist's can be covered with the marshall sound wise ... i would think muddy would be fendery. get it crunchy/clean.

I grew up in the eighties/nineties with solid state amps and it was frustrating trying to get the tone of classic rock guitar heros. then tubes came back though and they are great! although as an owner i've only owned a handful of amps in about twenty five years, both my tube amps are 6V6/12ax7. 6V6's do clean well and crunch with od pedal, middle ground. I have tried a few brands of tubes, JJ's, Sovtek, Groove Tubes, Genelex and the stock chinese cheapos. It was my preference to buy middle end price wise and upgrade parts such as tubes, speakers. have a look at the new Ibanez TSA30 6L6/12ax7, moderately priced and includes a tubescreamer pedal built into the amp! 30 watts in a tube amp might be relative in loud to a 100 watt solid state or more at peak. plenty of power on small-mid size gig.

oh the other end of cheap in tube amp is the Bugera amps (I think they're Behringer made). these might be easily upgraded tube and speaker wise.

if you don't want to do upgrades and all the homework and technical stuff like matching the equipment that particular artist used on that particular song, and just want the easiest route to stock amp choice, consider two camps of amp tones: marshall and fender. stock marshall does crunchy/distortion well, stock fender is generally good for cleaner/overdrive tones. the marshall haze or the fender blues deluxe.

Check your local Craigslist. There are a TON of mid-Sixties off-brand tube amps to be had for next to nothing. I've played a lot of weird old amps, and ALL of them were pretty good.

If you want something a little mire recent, the Fender DeVilles are pretty good. I've had a 410 and a 212, and both covered everything from Hendrix to Helmet.

Check your local Craigslist. There are a TON of mid-Sixties off-brand tube amps to be had for next to nothing. I've played a lot of weird old amps, and ALL of them were pretty good.

If you want something a little mire recent, the Fender DeVilles are pretty good. I've had a 410 and a 212, and both covered everything from Hendrix to Helmet.

i think most 'tube' amps sound good (there's a lot of crap solid state amps), are there any crap brands to avoid? i like the fender 5 year warranty on electronics, can't go wrong there.

Archived