Gibson Brands Forums

Ed Driscoll Talks To Walter Carter About Epiphone History

parispAl

Well, I have some bad news. I was informed over the weekend that the last backup was from May. MAY!!! That will set me back a long, long way. I've added tons of guitars and info over the past 8 months. The wiki is going to be in sad shape for awhile.

Red, I havent red the book yet. I was forwarded the guitar list in the appendix.

Wow, that will be a huge undertaking. I don't envy you. Carter's model listing has between 1100-1200 entries (some of which are duplicates, due to naming conventions, and also the way they are organized, so slightly fewer individual instruments).

I looked at the cached version of your index, and it was impressive. I wish I had visited the full site before the crash. I bet it was/will again be terrific. Please keep us appraised of your progress.

Red 333

Wow, that will be a huge undertaking. I don't envy you. Carter's model listing has between 1100-1200 entries (some of which are duplicates, due to naming conventions, and also the way they are organized, so slightly fewer individual instruments).

I looked at the cached version of your index, and it was impressive. I wish I had visited the full site before the crash. I bet it was/will again be terrific. Please keep us appraised of your progress.

Red 333

Thanks, Red. We'll get it back up to speed eventually. It just has to come back online before we can do anything.

The cache pages only show the guitar model sections. If you want to see what is inside, go here:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.epiphonewiki.com

This gives access to most pages. So far, the Amplifier page has been the only one I have found that wasnt archived. There are probably more, but I havent found them yet.

Thanks, Red. We'll get it back up to speed eventually. It just has to come back online before we can do anything.

The cache pages only show the guitar model sections. If you want to see what is inside, go here:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.epiphonewiki.com

This gives access to most pages. So far, the Amplifier page has been the only one I have found that wasnt archived. There are probably more, but I havent found them yet.

That's just fantastic. What a labor love. Thanks for doing it!

Red 333

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Speaking of books, The "Kalamazoo Gals" book on the history of the Gibson Banner guitars and the women who built them came out last month. It is a really facinating read and corrects alot of the wrong information that has thus far appeared about these guitars in print. I gather it has proven so popular that Amazon sold out of them shortly after the release.

Speaking of books, The "Kalamazoo Gals" book on the history of the Gibson Banner guitars and the women who built them came out last month. It is a really facinating read and corrects alot of the wrong information that has thus far appeared about these guitars in print. I gather it has proven so popular that Amazon sold out of them shortly after the release.

Excellent! I'm glad that at least someone is taking the time to correct historical innacurracies.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks ..you have seen mine ..thanks for writing..the natural finish is more distinctive ..thats my own bias ..yep..len

Len, I have the guitar list from the index of Carter's book and the Triumph A412 is not listed. The last Triumph he has listed he calls the "Triumph 3rd Version", which would should properly be called the Triumph Regent, although after the discontinuation of the Triumph non-cutaway, they renamed the cutaway/regent version to just "Triumph". He does have the Regent listed, but makes no connection between the Regent and the Triumph 3rd Version in the index. They are, for all intents and purposes, the same guitar with different names.

If Carter was going to be accurate, the 1st version should have been labeled as "Masterbilt", the second version as 16.375" body width, third version as 17.375" body width and the so called "3rd Version" would actually be a 4th version, but more accurately, a Regent.

Archived