Gibson Brands Forums

Advice about mods to my Jr

20_Gauge

I want to do some customizing to my Jr, nothing in depth just for appearance sake, & go for the "all black hardware" look like on my Dot. I want to change out the chrome wraparound stopbar/tailpiece(& the posts) for a black one, I also would like to swap out the cream p'up mounts/frames(not sure what they're called) for black ones. I think that would make my Jr look pretty frickin' sweet on top of the black 'guard.

Are these mods easy to do?

From talkin' w/ a guitar buddy of mine, it seems the p'up frames are the trickiest to swap(might end up messin' w/ p'ups themselves).

Advise please. Thanks!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will do, Joe!

oh, thanks for turning me onto guitar fetish. I found a black wraparound stopbar/tailpiece that's made for a Jr for $15, sweetwater wanted $47(albeit it was a 'Gibson Accessories' brand) for one & it wasn't a wraparound. Plus they had the all black (volume & tone)knobs I was lookin' for. Thanks!

I put the same wraparound bridge on my Jr, see avatar. I also got black keystone tuners from GFS. Not a bad price and the whole thing stays in tune. I went an extra step and blacked the fretboard with an ebony stain. After the third or fourth application I skipped wiping off the fret markers and just left them blacked out too. After a long wait I covered it in poly and I think it looks kind of cool. No idea how that will last or if it's even a good idea. Probably someone will provide some reasons I shouldn't have done that but I'll live with it. Have fun. It can all be redone.

I put the same wraparound bridge on my Jr, see avatar. I also got black keystone tuners from GFS. Not a bad price and the whole thing stays in tune. I went an extra step and blacked the fretboard with an ebony stain. After the third or fourth application I skipped wiping off the fret markers and just left them blacked out too. After a long wait I covered it in poly and I think it looks kind of cool. No idea how that will last or if it's even a good idea. Probably someone will provide some reasons I shouldn't have done that but I'll live with it. Have fun. It can all be redone.

Sounds awesome, Junior.

cool, I'm either thinkin' of putting that black wraparound on it or a regular bridge/tailpiece(like on standard LPs). Can ya give me a link or the name of those tuners? I'd love to change mine. Did they fit in the original peg holes? I don't wanna hafta drill new ones.

Also gonna swap the speed knobs out for some black Strat style knobs.

Not gonna mess w/ fretboard. That was a bold move. Bravo!

Did u change the p'up ring?

Ok, Joe. I'm gonna give it a shot, it just takes me awhile to work up the nerve to take the leap. Just afraid I'll do something to ruin my Jr forever. If I goof, it can always be repaired right?

Not gonna "go inside" & mess w/ the guts of it, just wanna modify the outside/look of it. Also thinkin' of replacing the chrome pickguard screws w/ some black ones I found on guitarfetish.

Cool, good to know that if anything goes wrong it most likely can be fixed.

Yeah, I've heard that a Jr is a perfect project/mod'ing guitar.

I'm just gonna stick w/ customizing the outside hardware(tuners, bridge, p'up ring, jackplate, 'guard screws, knobs). Baby steps lol

You've probably found the tuners by now if you've bought stuff from GFS, but here you go:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Classic-Keystone-Tuners-Black-Fits-70s-80s-Les-Pauls_p_170.html

They were 10mm posts vs 9mm that came installed. I bought a special drill bit from Stewart-Macdonald and routed them by hand. Plugged the old screw holes with toothpicks, wood glue and black crayon. You can't see it from arms length. I actually enjoy messing around with these guitars because it's a great way to learn. Even if by trial and (too much)error. It was reading this forum that inspired me to buy this first Jr and do some experimenting. These guys have a ton of great ideas. You can make your guitar look and play any way you want.

Have fun.

I agree Jr, these guys in this forum have helped me a ton before & since I bought my 1st 6 string(I now have 3).

Thanks for the link. I like those 80's style tuners but I really don't wanna hafta drill out new holes, baby steps lol.

I found these (http://www.guitarfetish.com/3x3-Gotoh-Style-Tuners-Oversized-Buttons-Black-Finish_p_34.html) on gf that are the same gear ratio as the ones that came on my Jr. Gonna get'em next month, that'll be the last "black out" mod I do.

I don't think that having the same gear ratio guarantees the size of the posts and bushings. The piece that had to be enlarged on mine was the post hole from the back, and then only as far as the body of the tuner fits inside, about 1/4" or 3/8" I think it was. If your Jr is stock you'll have an extra set screw hole when you install these new tuners, just like I did. Check the picture vs the back of your guitar, 6 or 12 set screws.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just prepare you for a little handicraft that might be needed. Hey, you're making a blackout model. If it all goes awry just get a can and spray paint the whole thing when you're done.

Have fun.

I don't think that having the same gear ratio guarantees the size of the posts and bushings. The piece that had to be enlarged on mine was the post hole from the back, and then only as far as the body of the tuner fits inside, about 1/4" or 3/8" I think it was. If your Jr is stock you'll have an extra set screw hole when you install these new tuners, just like I did. Check the picture vs the back of your guitar, 6 or 12 set screws.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just prepare you for a little handicraft that might be needed. Hey, you're making a blackout model. If it all goes awry just get a can and spray paint the whole thing when you're done.

Have fun.

Thanks, Jr!

I'll take a close look @ that before I buy. The tuners will be the last mod in my project, gonna install tuners & the new bridge @ the same time(when 8 get ready to change strings).

Actually one mod I'd strongly consider on a Jr. if I had one would be an upgrade of the wraparound bridge - but that's just me.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_bridges/Adjustable_Wraparound_Bridge.html

Unfortunately for you, Stewmac's only comes in gold and silver. So... not much help for your black on black.

Given the price tag on this sort of guitar it's marvelous for modding once you've taken care to do the research such as you're doing right now.

I've actually considered getting roughly the same piece with either one or two pups and messing with a lotta stuff, nut, bridge, pups and pots - but personally I'd not be so likely to swap tuning pegs unless they were a problem.

Silly as this may sound to some, one mod I'd consider my top priority would be to get a master volume ("the" volume on a one-pup variety) into position to use dynamically while playing by having it in position for my pinkie to crank on it. A buddy/bandmate did that ages ago with a Jazzmaster with incredible potential of changing both attack and decay as I'd done before with a volume pedal. Later I learned that Roy Buchanan did a lotta the same thing with a Tele. Gibson setups don't usually offer that sort of potential which ... is why I still have the volume pedal.

Actually I had been thinking about picking up a similar little Epi to mess with, including a piezo bridge of some sort until... I got a great deal on a new cherry Dot last week that was the final GAS straw on any guitar budget for the next cupla years. Argh, GAS is doing me in. <grin>

m

Thanks for weighin' in, milod.

I'm startin' to see why y'all like mod'ing guitars. I'm havin' a ball.

Yeah I'm replacing the wraparound bridge when I replace the p'up mount & tuners. I did find a black wraparound bridge on guitarfetish.com. I'll post the link(if anyone would like it) when I get on my laptop(I'm on my cell now).

One point here: I think you're doing absolutely correctly with taking on parts of the project you already have knowledge about and are carefully researching what to do.

That heavy, careful research is the trick to a successful "mod" no matter what it might be.

Best of luck and have fun!!!

m

One point here: I think you're doing absolutely correctly with taking on parts of the project you already have knowledge about and are carefully researching what to do.

That heavy, careful research is the trick to a successful "mod" no matter what it might be.

Best of luck and have fun!!!

m

Thanks, milod!

A comment from an experienced guitarslinger like you makes me feel good.

I'm big on researchin' before I dive into a project.

Just the fact that another Epi Jr has used a given bridge is good to know - regardless what "20" decides to do.

GF has a width on its sales site that at minimum is a starting point if 20 wants to do something else.

Yeah, I'd personally go for an adjustable bridge, but I dunno if they have black which is kinda the point of the project...

m

Archived