Gibson Brands Forums

Who else owns a strat???

bigtim

Just picked up an American standard 2008 model for a very good price a few weeks ago. I used to own a 79 model hardtail but I was never happy with it and it weighed a ton. I have an SG and have always wanted a good strat because I like the single coil sound but they just never felt right. After trying this one out I am totally hooked and I believe Fender has made some very good decesions and changes on their new standard guitars compared to their older models when CBS had them. I have always been a set neck kind of guy but this strat really sounds great and plays even better since I have set it up to 9 guage strings and adjusted the action.The pick ups are nice and quiet and the bridge really comes alive when I flip over to it at higher gain settings. The sustain is just as good or better than my SG and the neck feels great even though it is a smaller diameter radius neck, I find it quite easy to play. The action is not as low as it is on my SG standard but I find that it is a great companion to the SG. Who else owns a strat and how to you think it compares to your Gibson or other guitars as far as action and sound?? Tim

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well....I have a Japanese Contemporary Series III Strat which I bought new in the 80s. It has the flatter radius 'E' series neck and rosewood board which reminds me of the old 60s Strat I used to own and very stupidly sold. It was originally 2 SC and a bridge HB, I got it modded with a clear scratchplate cut to take a Kent armstrong Rainbow HB at the neck. This guitar has neck-tilt which is useful as setup is a nightmare due to the bridge. Despite this it's a great guitar and my default gig instrument. The action doesn't get nearly as low as my LP which has P90s and because of the longer scale just sounds different.

If I had the money I'd get the American Deluxe with the compound radius neck and the S-1 switching.

Regards!

I do. an American Deluxe from 05/06.

I've actually been meaning to sell it since I've never really been much of a strat person (I just think the shape is too feminine, the build too cheap and the sound too frail. GREAT neck though...), and I need the money to fund my Gibson customization habit [rolleyes]

I have a Japanese Squier Strat with System 1 (branded "Fender", made by Schaller) locking trem from the early 80's. It kicks ***.

I also have a Japanese '62 strat thats about a 1999. It is very sweet indeed...... (Neck pick-up, clean tone heaven).

I love a good strat.

Also have a '62 reissue tele custom (so cool - double bound, sunburst, rosewood fingerboard) and a genuine '67 Jaguar, refinished in aged Olympic White. Fender, Gibson, Ric, Gretsch, Jackson, PRS ... it's all good to me....

I bought my first Strat-a '65-in 1974 and I've bought 5 more since,I traded one for a JCM 800 2204 half stack in the mid 90s but I still have the rest. The Strat is a very versatile guitar and has a unique tone that no humbucker equipped guitar-or single coil guitar for that matter-can replicate.Some people find the transition from a Gibson guitar somewhat difficult because of the scale and feel of the neck,but that doesn't last long and usually the neck feels like it was made for you after a few days.Congrats on your new Strat,I'm sure that you'll enjoy it even more as time goes by.

An American Standard bought new in 1999, modded with DiMarzio Area 61, Virtual Vintage Pro, and Virtual Vintage Blues pickups in the bridge, center, and neck positions. Sperzel tuners and Hipshot Tremsetter.

Strat2_zps39a674d5.jpg

Though I really like the DiMarzio pickups because of the warmth and quietness of the Virtual Vintage series, it still sounds like a Strat- good for what they do. Compared to my Gibsons, the neck is like the business end of a baseball bat. The action is good. I have it set low, and it plays fine. I use D'Addario EXP 10s on her, sometimes Cobalt 10s. I do notice the difference in scale length, and it seems that it does require more precision in fingering the fretboard compared to Gibsons.

I used to have one for a while.. I got it as I wanted a muck around guitar as all I had was my LP Classic and sometimes wanted something lighter to play..

So I got this one but sold it after about a year and a half cos it didnt get played as much as it deserved too.. A lovely guitar but just never really clicked with it.. I got a LP DC Junior Special instead.. And thats what started my Gibson habbit ;)

This was my MIM Deluxe.. Its actually a bit flashy for me.. I dont usually do gold hardware.. But it played so nice so I didnt care.. The looks actually grew on me.

Picture183-1_zps23d107ee.jpg

Picture181-1_zpsbafe9aa8.jpg

Picture001-1_zps2dc893c3.jpg

The guy who bought it from me was so so happy with it.. He wrote a letter to me to thank me lol... He said it played and sounded better than his US Standards..

I've had loads. Always at least three in the stable in my 'playing days'.

From January 2nd 1980 (I remember) to 2004 my 'go-to' was a '64 Strat in Lake Placid Blue.

I sold it. "It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time"........

Last year I bought a '62 'Classic' in Lake Placid Blue. It feels, absolutely, 100% identical to the "real one".

P-ups could do with a bit of thought. It sounds more like the original '59 Fiesta Red/Maple neck I had for a short while....

I preferred the '64 p-ups.

As we're posting snaps, here is my current version;

BodyHoriz.jpg

Just for a hoot here is the '64 shot in around '85. I only re-discovered this picture (FWIW, it's a 5" x 4" transparency) last week.

The jacket being worn by my 'model' (I was a Photog. student at the time) was what I wore pretty much from day-to-day.................bloody hippie......lol!

Lo-resheadlessKStratV2.jpg

P.

Ive got several, there not my favorite guitar really but i don't think a player can get by without one. There just such a distinctive sounding and playing instrument. I think every quiver needs a good Les Paul, a Stratocaster and a Telecaster as well as a good hollowbody like a 335. Other guitars are nice but those are kind of the basics you need if you want a diverse sound in current electric guitars.

Strat's are great, Trems are a lot harder to get set up than a hardtails, but once you get the knack they're wonderful.

I've had a 1988 Stratocaster for 23 years, it's still a great player. The guts aren't original anymore and it's a little bit like an old truck, but it's still my no.1. Followed closely by my Gibson Nighthawk. It's all about sound spectrum for me. You can't have dark without light, can't have heavy without...um, light.. well, if you ask me you need a Fender with single coils and a Gibson with humbuckers in your stable.

Well here it is. I did not think there would be so many strat fans when I made the thread I thought I would catch alot of flack.

strat005_zps8578c92a.jpg

I also like the figure detail in the wood. Overall it is a very well made guitar and the finish is very nice also.

strat003_zps0f671847.jpg

strat005_zps8578c92a.jpg

I've had loads. Always at least three in the stable in my 'playing days'.

From January 2nd 1980 (I remember) to 2004 my 'go-to' was a '64 Strat in Lake Placid Blue.

I sold it. "It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time"........

Last year I bought a '62 'Classic' in Lake Placid Blue. It feels, absolutely, 100% identical to the "real one".

P-ups could do with a bit of thought. It sounds more like the original '59 Fiesta Red/Maple neck I had for a short while....

I preferred the '64 p-ups.

As we're posting snaps, here is my current version;

BodyHoriz.jpg

Just for a hoot here is the '64 shot in around '85. I only re-discovered this picture (FWIW, it's a 5" x 4" transparency) last week.

The jacket being worn by my 'model' (I was a Photog. student at the time) was what I wore pretty much from day-to-day.................bloody hippie......lol!

Lo-resheadlessKStratV2.jpg

P.

I have been wondering how the reissues compared to the original models from someone who has owned both. They almost look the same too. Thant is a cool pic with the 62 model. Tim

I bought my first Strat-a '65-in 1974 and I've bought 5 more since,I traded one for a JCM 800 2204 half stack in the mid 90s but I still have the rest. The Strat is a very versatile guitar and has a unique tone that no humbucker equipped guitar-or single coil guitar for that matter-can replicate.Some people find the transition from a Gibson guitar somewhat difficult because of the scale and feel of the neck,but that doesn't last long and usually the neck feels like it was made for you after a few days.Congrats on your new Strat,I'm sure that you'll enjoy it even more as time goes by.

Yea I am really liking it. So much so that I have been playing it more than my SG. I really like both as they are so much different in sound and tone. Tim

Very nice. I like the bound neck. What kind of wood is that???

Thanks bigtim.

The body is Zebrawood laminate on alder, satin finish and neck is birdseye maple with a rosewood fretboard and binding. It's an amazing player!

Thanks bigtim.

The body is Zebrawood laminate on alder, satin finish and neck is birdseye maple with a rosewood fretboard and binding. It's an amazing player!

It is a very pretty guitar. It looks great. I see alot of figured wood stained with colors and such and they are flattering to the eyes but you cannot beat a clear finish sometimes. You got a winner there!! Tim

Archived