Gibson Brands Forums

What would you do in this situation ?

EuroAussie

I would be listening hard to Mrs. EA's preference, too- as I suspect you are. If she, too, has a career and you are looking to start a family, there is something to be said for the option of daddy staying home for the first year or two. He could concievably (oops-unintentional pun) keep his guitar/gigging fires alive AND have a break from his career, without having one single free moment in which to be bored.

And, the dream job (whether this or the next) will, if it's truly a dream job, work itself around such a plan, should it be what both you and the Mrs. intend.

EA ,

I'm probably the youngest of all the guys here but I agree with Anne . talk to Mrs.EA and see if you can stay home to take care of the child =) .

I mean life isn't just work ... When people die they never say "I should have worked more " they always say "Oh I wish I would have spent more time with such and such person" . If you guys are going to have a child take time off so you can be around him/her 24/7 for the doctor appointments or whatever .

JC

Well, I've been fully retired for 3 years and partially retired for 8. I never run out of things to do .... including music related stuff. BUT thanks to a nice pension plan, I have money on which to live .... and thanks of Social Secuirty checks, I have money to buy guitars. I would not be here without my great career however.

So, go for the job but don't let it be your life ..... you are not a (fill in the blank) but rather should try to be a well rounded person (music guy, husband, citizen, father, etc) who happens to work in a certain job.

Good luck.

I would be listening hard to Mrs. EA's preference, too- as I suspect you are. If she, too, has a career and you are looking to start a family, there is something to be said for the option of daddy staying home for the first year or two. He could concievably (oops-unintentional pun) keep his guitar/gigging fires alive AND have a break from his career, without having one single free moment in which to be bored.

And, the dream job (whether this or the next) will, if it's truly a dream job, work itself around such a plan, should it be what both you and the Mrs. intend.

Ah, the female perspective, thank you Anne. Actually Mrs EA is cool about either way, she would be happy for me to take a sabbatical or take the job. She's a really great lady and trusts me that Ill make the right decision thats best for all.

Anyway, mu current thought is that Im definitely going to try for this job as it really represents a great opportunity. But I would also be pretty happy chappy if I tooker the sabbatical. Im pretty sure I would not get bored, and there is a lot of stuff I wanted to catch up on. I should know how it will go by end of the month.

Thanks for all your input folks, its much appreciated and I was a bit surprised (but in a good way) how many of your guitar freaks chose to take the job. It seems were quite a responsible little group of Gibby lovers...

Take the job. You're at a turning-point in your life. Your wife and you are ready to take a big step. As the family grows, you'll still have the desire to play guitar and gigs. You've got plenty of time for both. Take the dream job. A lot of us have been there and done that. You won't be sorry. [thumbup]

I'd take the job. Nothing to lose and if you don't like it, take the sabbatical then and find work later as it sounds like opportunities are there.

Congrats! I did the same thing last April and took the job. Good decision for me.

I think it is important to think through how the demands that most likely come with this new job will combine with future family life. What might appear as a dream job now, pre family,might in fact be the opposite, depending on the strains the job will put on the family at home. I am a strong believer in maintaining a balance in life, and this is something I personally constantly have to fight for. There will most likely be pressure coming from three directions, your employer, your family, and the core that makes up your individual identity. By the last part I mean that it is important in the midst of the stress from work and family to be able to keep your own interests, hobbies, and social life alive not to lose yourself. You come across as a responsible person who wants the best for both worlds. My experience is that those who believe in maintaining a balance will do better in the relationsship both with their partner and their children in the long run. So I guess what I'm saying is that not all "career" jobs are suited for family life and usually the higher up the corporate ladder the more true this is.

I did not mean to sound negative. I just wanted to add another perspective.

Best of luck which ever way you go!

Lars

<tuppenceworth>

Take the job, EA... Wouldn't even have to think about it twice!

You're not 18-20 and the band isn't a full-time earner. Somewhere down the line the unticked boxes become a big issue in the work environment. Unless the guitar is what's putting food on the table and buying baby clothes, it's a second-tier issue, the guitar will still be there each night and each playing opportunity, a decent working role, not so much... take the job fella!

</tuppenceworth>

good luck with yer choice.

+ 1. Take it!

When you say 'Sabbatical', you mean lying around the house strumming the guitar a bit, getting fat, smoking cones, drinking beer, taking it easy for a bit....not much good really.

If 'Sabbatical' meant travelling with the band around Europe, UK or such - doing something constructive - jump on it!

But hanging around home, well....soon enough the rotten Debt Collectors will be around!

Take the dream job!

I assume you have 9 months pay with no worries - well as soon as a drama appears - all your money gone! Dream Job could also mean 'more better Gibsons' plus, new digs, new car, whatever......with the sabbatical money, plus I assume a higher income from the new job......

Any chance of the 'dream job' being worked from home? I have a boring job with databases, but I get to work from home and have found it to be a great compromise between being bust and guitars going to the pawn shop.....and doing pretty well with everything and not spending hours and hours travelling around to work - these free hours I usually spend on guitar practice and guitar/music related stuff. You could do some structured lessons.....etc. Less Stress!

I sound like an ole fogey, but you asked, so you are probably worried about the exact things I said...

Good luck - things have a way of working out if you 'keep moving'!

BluesKIng777.

What are cones ?

Mark, Simple. You've racked up 16 years and have enough to get by for 1. 5 more and you're set for a 5 year sabbatical of if you've invested wisely perhaps retirement or a musical career.

Dream jobs are few and far between, if it's doing something that you love and supports you well enough for a five year "vacation" Run with the money my friend, it may not buy everything but it can sure be handy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih6qdokJH1w

Take the job, see if you can differ going on board for 3 months..or at least 2..if this is possible,with that locked in ..definately buy the 46' AJ the very next day ...and then emerse yourself into the music lessons & study..3 full months of focus.

When you have children your life will change..from what Ive seen 80% of your spare time will be gone...and you will be tied up for the next 20 years.

I envy anyone with a good employment opportunity..we have been out of it so long.

Take the dream job EA - and prepare for the big theme coming - a family.

But promise me not to let either of those strangle your passion and time for guitars - the danger is like a gab in the floor.

playing guitar for a couple of hours a day is great... but beleive me..it doesnt take up the full day....

Ever tried to say that to an upcoming pro. The harpist, the bratch-player, the concert pianist.

The larger than life rock'n'roll musician, , , the jazzer -

• 2 weeks later...

As an update .... seems were gonna make a deal and Ill be taking the job. Looks like the guitar school might have to wait a few years.

But as a celebration instead of buying a 43' SJ we will buy a new car for Mrs EA, kinda more of a priority as her 20 year old little crapped out Ford is falling apart.

Thanks for the advice folks, youre more responsible than I though you would be .... ;-)

Now Ive got to get through this darn three month trial period thingie ...

As an update .... seems were gonna make a deal and Ill be taking the job. Looks like the guitar school might have to wait a few years.

But as a celebration instead of buying a 43' SJ we will buy a new car for Mrs EA, kinda more of a priority as her 20 year old little crapped out Ford is falling apart.

Thanks for the advice folks, youre more responsible than I though you would be .... ;-)

You did wise I think...

The new job will give you unexpected chances and more money for new guitars msp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

Wish you a very good luckmsp_thumbup.gif

Funny, I almost bought a rosewood 1943 SJ a few weeks ago, but took a few deep breaths and decided I didn't want to have that much money tied up in one guitar. Also bought my wife a new car last year, for similar reasons as you (not to mention just to keep her happy).

Sometimes, however, my job is more nightmare than dream. Then I remember that my job is really just to keep rich men with expensive toys from breaking rules of competition they've previously agreed to. The mega-rich aren't used to hearing the word "no", and the people that work for them spend a lot of time and money trying to convince me that "no" really means "yes". People don't usually die as a result of my decisions, even though they'd like to kill me sometimes.

You did the right thing. Being a responsible person may seem a burden at times, but it will pay off in the long run.

Well done fella, glad the prospect is working out... I'm on day one of a new job today, same company, but a more senior position and a bit more public than the previous role. Not without my reservations and it's a bit more backstabby, but I figure anywhere worth going always involves a bit of battering and bruising on the way there.

Well done fella, glad the prospect is working out... I'm on day one of a new job today, same company, but a more senior position and a bit more public than the previous role. Not without my reservations and it's a bit more backstabby, but I figure anywhere worth going always involves a bit of battering and bruising on the way there.

So the evil banker has now gotten even more evil, ha ... ? ;-)

All the best mate, sometime its good to throw yourself into the deep end !

Getting into this late, but after reading the thread: you made the right choice. There are always times to play guitar for those with the passion for it. Dreams jobs, however, are few and far between. You sound like a well-rounded dude. Best of luck to ya.

So the evil banker has now gotten even more evil, ha ... ? ;-)

Not really, benefited from a cabinet reshuffle you might say...

All the best mate, sometime its good to throw yourself into the deep end !

It's certainly the deep end, EA, wether I'm a lamb-to-the-slaughter or not remains to be seen. Gone from a comfortable number to a trust-nobody situation, will have to be a total self-preservationist for the foreseeable future. Anyone know where to buy spray on Teflon?

It's certainly the deep end, EA, wether I'm a lamb-to-the-slaughter or not remains to be seen. Gone from a comfortable number to a trust-nobody situation, will have to be a total self-preservationist for the foreseeable future. Anyone know where to buy spray on Teflon?

Sounds a bit like my job. I have ten rules for survival. The first two are:

1) Trust no one outside your own team;

2) Take nothing at face value.

It goes downhill from there. Just remember, even paranoid people have real enemies.

Ha Ha Heee Heee!

Stooged YA!

Responsible? Guitar Players? Some people would have a thing or two to say about that!

We just couldn't stand the thought of you lying around playing those Gibbos.

Ha Ha! Work Work Work. Hee Hee....getting a little hysterical.

Well ha ha ha, to add some more tips for the new job:

1. Make sure you are not the only Indian among all the Chiefs.

2. Don't believe anything they say about 'this will be fixed when the ...blah blah...' It won't.

3. If you don't like the Dell they put you on, ask for the Mac over in the other office - you have loads of Mac experience, and show your first hissy fit if rejected...

4. Don't believe them if they tell you there are no car parks left.

5. If they give you the 'Guitar Hater' as co-worker, asked to be moved before it becomes cemented.....

Will let you know more as we think of them....

BUT

Seriously...

Congratulations.

BluesKing777.

EA - Probation is easy, just keep showing up on time, role up the sleeves and dig in. Be a good example of workplace citizenship and all will be good. Always keep an outward positive attitude (Smile Fierce). At the end of my day I figure if no one died, then the day must have gone pretty good.

PM - I've been doing this banking thing happily for 34 years, successfully dodging promotions that would land me deeply entrenched in middle management, prefering to be a rainmaker on the front lines. All the best in your new role. Keep a guitar stashed under your desk, you'll do terrific. (I was on a 2 hour conference call today, put the phone on mute, and happily played away (while listening intently of course)).

Archived