Gibson Brands Forums

Tuner Upgrade on 2013 SG Standard

rjames1973

All,

I have a 2013 Gibson SG Standard on order with Sweetwater. A friend of mine had the SG Standard a couple of years ago and recommends that I swap out the stock Kluson tuners for locking Grover tuners (these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/106C/). Apparently, he had a lot of problems keeping his SG in tune during gigs, which has me concerned about my future SG. What are your thoughts on this upgrade? Is it worth it, or should I just take my chances with the stock Kluson tuners on the 2013 model?

All,

I have a 2013 Gibson SG Standard on order with Sweetwater. A friend of mine had the SG Standard a couple of years ago and recommends that I swap out the stock Kluson tuners for locking Grover tuners (these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/106C/). Apparently, he had a lot of problems keeping his SG in tune during gigs, which has me concerned about my future SG. What are your thoughts on this upgrade? Is it worth it, or should I just take my chances with the stock Kluson tuners on the 2013 model?

I have several Gibson SG's with different type of tuners. The locking one are nice, they are easier to string up and have a finer gear ratio, but I would give the originals a try, I have no problems with them.

I put a little pencil lead in the string slots of the nut. I don't overly strech the string and find my stablity to fine and I'm heavy handed. I would let the guitar settle in to your home and enviorment, put your fav brand of strings on, tweaker and play her. Then you can always change if you like.

Thanks, DiamondJig. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I love the stock Kluson "tulip" tuners that come with the SG Standard, which give it a "classic" look. I'd hate to have to change them out due to tuning issues, but I'll have to cross that bridge once I get the guitar in my hands.

I have several Gibson SG's with different type of tuners. The locking one are nice, they are easier to string up and have a finer gear ratio, but I would give the originals a try, I have no problems with them.

I put a little pencil lead in the string slots of the nut. I don't overly strech the string and find my stablity to fine and I'm heavy handed. I would let the guitar settle in to your home and enviorment, put your fav brand of strings on, tweaker and play her. Then you can always change if you like.

if its not broke don't fix it is what my dad always told me. but I didn't pay much attention when I should have. I think I have just about every tuner Gibson uses and I don't have any problems playing for an hour or two at a time since I started stringing my guitars first wrap over the excess and two or three wraps under the string on the tuner.as you tighten it clamps on the string. that's why the tuner where you wrap the string isn't bar shaped. it has an angle cut into it.I hope you can understand this as with out a picture it could be confusing. go to the Gibson site and surf more than one way to tune an ax. It really works. unless something else is going on.Go to Gibson.com---News-lifestyle.....Gear &tech.....Theres more than one way to string an ax..... 3rd picture down.

I recently got a 2012 '61 Reissue which has the vintage tuners and is basically the same as the new 2013 Standards. I rub pencil lead in the nut slots as well whenever I re-string and my SG stays in tune exceptionally well. I have a Les Paul with Grovers and I don't notice any difference at all. Personally, I would stick with the vintage tuners, especially since the new standards have gone back to a vintage body style.

All,

Thanks so much for the replies. I think I'm going to wait to see how things pan out with the SG Std before I make any mods. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't have any tuning issues, but it looks like most people are really pleased with the 2013 model so far.

Archived