Gibson Brands Forums

loop station

blindboygrunt

anyone use a loop machine / station for live performance ?

how much would i need to spend ? just to layer a bit , not to bring samples with me , although maybe someone who has one would tell me that i should ?

any knowledge would be appreciated

here's a fantastic example of using one ...

i am in love with this girl

I have the Digitech Jamman Stereo loop pedal which I use to provide rhythm backing while I attempt some not very tasty lead over it. Given I dont have the luxury of a second guitarist most of the time its something that has been a pretty good help to allow us to play a bit more broadly.

Although I have to admit I dont like this approach that Katie uses where she basically records on the spot three instruments looping together and than plays over it ...... feels a bit, weird. :mellow:

I like KT Myself too, some good tunes down the years and great taste in guitars as well as being very easy on the eyes.

For loopers, I have a digitech Jamman delay, 3 delay pedals with all the loop facilities built in and I do use it live, but only for a few songs... I mostly use the delays from it...

you find them easy to use guys ?

while i dont imagine i'll be as proficient as the lovely KT , but i like what shes doing , damien rice uses one to great effect too ..

Takes a bit of getting used to but theyre pretty user friendly once you've done a few times. I actually use it on DR's 9 crimes where i play the arpegio intro, loop it and then play an arpegio over it.

Takes a bit of getting used to but theyre pretty user friendly once you've done a few times. I actually use it on DR's 9 crimes where i play the arpegio intro, loop it and then play an arpegio over it.

yeah ,, thats the sort if thing i'm after . cheers aussie.

do you have it stored in the machine or just play it fresh each gig situation ?

Both, I have a lot of it stored, for example the rhythm to Patience so I can do my poor Slash lead bit or the bassline for wish you were here where i can do the lead intro bit, but then Im starting to get the confidence now to run it on the go, put some rhythm on the fly and then do some lead over it.

you find them easy to use guys ?

while i dont imagine i'll be as proficient as the lovely KT , but i like what shes doing , damien rice uses one to great effect too ..

Yeah, a couple of days playing aroiund with it to get the feel and you're sorted.

You can do either, doing it live works quite well as often people haven't seen it or paid attention before and they're normally quite positive about it. I use it on 3 tunes, 2 are pre-recorded and 1 I do live, the first one... after people have seen how a loop is built up, they don't need to see the same tricks several times in the same gig, so the other two I use it for are pre-recorded, but they kick in from the get go, as do the rest of the band so it's not so noticeable that there's a pre-recorded loop going on and one of them it's just a shakers track so the drummer can play the bass on that particular song.

Cool bits of kit though mate, I'd recommend them, good for diddling about with for lead ideas too, a quick once through the progression you need, loop it, then work away on a lead break at your own pace for as long as it takes... for a laugh at one gig I built up the entire backing track to kylie minogues Can't get you out of my head during the soundcheck. 3 overlayed loops. Sounded alright too.

Don't mix it live with the pre-recorded drum track presets though, sounds too electronic cheesy... ok for messing about in the house, but a bit karaoke in a live situation.

Both, I have a lot of it stored, for example the rhythm to Patience so I can do my poor Slash lead bit or the bassline for wish you were here where i can do the lead intro bit, but then Im starting to get the confidence now to run it on the go, put some rhythm on the fly and then do some lead over it.

cool , so you record the rhythm bit for patience , label it and then during the gig just bend down before you start the song and scroll through a list and then click it with the foot when the time is right ?

cool , so you record the rhythm bit for patience , label it and then during the gig just bend down before you start the song and scroll through a list and then click it with the foot when the time is right ?

No need to bend, can scroll through with your feet via the up/down patch controllers. easy as ****

No need to bend, can croll through with your feet via the up/down patch controllers. easy as ****

Exactly, you just got to remember which loop 'number' each part is ..... pretty stupid hitting wish you were here bass line when youre about to do the lead break to patience .... [scared]

You can see us use the loooper for Patience here, were I start with the looper and it gives me rhythm and then again for the lead break.

However, you have to get your timing right if you have rhythm going later, and also, which is the biggest problem for me is having the volume levels of the pre-recorded stuff same as you guitar. If you see me at the 37sec mark, I bend down and increase the volume of the loop a bit as I felt it was a bit low.

But it really helps us for songs like this as otherwise we could not perform this track which would be a pity as we both really dig it .... and will be playing it tmrw tonite.

Archived