Gibson Brands Forums

Truss Rod seems to be stuck ...& guitar under warranty?

merseybeat1963

It seems my J200 needs a little tweek as it has a bit of relief but I prefer nearly none..but truss rod seems stuck as it has not been touched in nearly 20 years.

The repair guy(Auth. Martin Service) who looked it over did not want to put any real pressure when he saw it wasnt easily moving.

He put a little oil and tried backing it up but no go.This guy is an extemely carefull person and another guy would have just pushed...

It seems my J200 needs a little tweek as it has a bit of relief but I prefer nearly none..but truss rod seems stuck as it has not been touched in nearly 20 years.

The repair guy(Auth. Martin Service) who looked it over did not want to put any real pressure when he saw it wasnt easily moving.

He put a little oil and tried backing it up but no go.This guy is an extemely carefull person and another guy would have just pushed...

gg

Give it a day or 2 and try to back it up. Careful with the oil, don't over do it. J.D.

gg

Give it a day or 2 and try to back it up. Careful with the oil, don't over do it. J.D.

That sounds like good advice to me. The oil should work its way in over time. If it doesn't work, didn't you say that it's under warranty? Let a Gibson tech deal with it if you have to.

Good luck with that. I got goose bumps thinking of turning that nut. My L0's rod was maxed out and now it's ready for the reset. Are you adjusting with the strings slackened? Even if it works properly, it'll take time for the neck to respond so I'd advise slow going, but you already knew that.

Good luck with that. I got goose bumps thinking of turning that nut. Are you adjusting with the strings slackened? Even if it works properly, it'll take time for the neck to respond so I'd advise slow going, but you already knew that.

Ive adjusted other guitars but if there is resistance I dont push.

On this guitar I took it to Martin Auth Repair just for a look over as Ive always had some trouble with the "raise" at the end of the fingerboard due to my very low actioon requirement.

I never tried adjusting this guitar..last time it was adjusted was when I bought it. The Repair guy tried but determined it was stuck..though he didnt muscle it.

The first 5 years of Montana production guitars had 5 year warranties. After that they became lifetime to the original owner.

I will tell you this. The maple neck is very difficult to move. The truss rod will not be easy to adjust. Most Martin repairman may not be as familiar with the maple neck. Having said that he may be correct.It may not be adjusting. I would think that backing the truss rod off would be a easy thing to do but if you have a double action truss rod that might not be the case either. I would take it to a Gibson guy who is familiar with the maple neck.

The first 5 years of Montana production guitars had 5 year warranties. After that they became lifetime to the original owner.

I will tell you this. The maple neck is very difficult to move. The truss rod will not be easy to adjust. Most Martin repairman may not be as familiar with the maple neck. Having said that he may be correct.It may not be adjusting. I would think that backing the truss rod off would be a easy thing to do but if you have a double action truss rod that might not be the case either. I would take it to a Gibson guy who is familiar with the maple neck.

Many thanks Hogeye..what excellent and appreciated advice.

Oh my..when I bought the guitar the warrantee card said 5 years..I thought like a Martin I had bought once back in the day,which at that time had not the lifetime warranty to original owner, but was later reverted to a lifetime warranty.That it was the same with Gibson.

The reason I thought this is in 2004 after asking about the raise at end of fingerboard that has always got in the way of my low action, Lavone & Mr.Ferguson gave me an RA# to send it to them, but I decided not to and to just wait till the day I needed a fret job to level it all perfect

and not subject this rare guitar to UPS.

The relief it has most would consider perfect but I really like necks just about straight.

Did I miss something Mersey? How old is this guitar?

1989 .. was no need to touch truss rod since about then.

Traditionally this is perfect adjustment for most people and so it has been set up like this but since then Ive realized a straight neck is what I like..but truss rod seems to be in disagreement. : )

Guess I'd go back to trying adjustment at the nut ( a temp replacement ) for additional playability experiment if I wasn't ready for major work. See how far you can lower at that end before it starts buzzing. That must play beautifully capo'd up a little.

Guess I'd go back to trying adjustment at the nut ( a temp replacement ) for additional playability experiment if I wasn't ready for major work. See how far you can lower at that end before it starts buzzing. That must play beautifully capo'd up a little.

First thing I do on all my guitars is get slots at nut low.

Archived