Gibson Brands Forums

OK - Enough With The Signature Guitars

zombywoof

Saw this one over at AGF and could not help thinking how ludacrisp is it going to get. A Jeff Daniels Signature Martin. I had to check. Martin could not possibly be naming the guitar after the actor. But apparently yup, they did. I mean I love Jeff Daniels in movies (I will forgive him Dumb and Dumber) and have seen him strum what lookes to be a Gibson J-45. Maybe I am missing something and the guy has a unique style and has inspired thousands of young guitar players to take the first step in their musical journey. But I can't help but feel that Martin has finally done what I thought was impossible - they have trumped the Susannah Hoffs Ric.

Jeff Daniels [?] ... maybe I am missing something and the guy has a unique style and has inspired thousands ..But I can't help but feel that Martin has finally done what I thought was impossible - they have trumped the Susannah Hoffs Ric.
Score. Will Henry and Co counter with a Jeff Bridges sig?

For fun, I looked up Martins sig series. Here's the breakdown: 5-7 rockstas with acoustic chops who pick Martins. 10-15 rocksta's who (occasionally) strum an acoustic which is (occasionally) a Martin. 10-15 Oprey stars who strum Martins while singing. 10-15 folkies who strum Martins while singing. 3-5 Folkies with chops who pick Martins. 5 Snatches from rival brands. 7-8 endorsers from The Great Beyond. And, finally, players with "a unique style that has inspired thousands" on a Martin like the one represented? Well, there's Clarence White (Mr Flatpick) for sure; Martin Carthy (celtic-influenced fingerstyle --though it should be Davey Graham from TGB). Maybe Bromberg (not so much stylistically, but yeh for the M-series). And that's it. But, hey, if it keeps the CFM brand in the news and helps pay the bills, why not. Well, Jeff Daniels.

I am sure everyone on here appreciates the history, quality and wonder of Martin guitars.

But this signature thing is crazy. It artificially inflates the price, making them unobtainable for the

regular Joe. I had my 000-28EC made with out the EC name or label - Sorry Eric.

I was playing a Gibson L-1 Robert Johnson recently which was really fantastic, but if I went that way with an L-1,

it would be a no namer. Still, Martin know their market.

I am sure everyone on here appreciates the history, quality and wonder of Martin guitars.

But this signature thing is crazy. It artificially inflates the price, making them unobtainable for the

regular Joe. I had my 000-28EC made with out the EC name or label - Sorry Eric.

I was playing a Gibson L-1 Robert Johnson recently which was really fantastic, but if I went that way with an L-1,

it would be a no namer. Still, Martin know their market.

I agree with you Ponty .

there is always the option of ordering a sig model without the sigs =D ... a few months back I ordered a Costello model without his the white label and asked it be labeled with the orange and without the custom shop decal on the back so it can look just like an original L Century Of Progress =D

JC

... But this signature thing is crazy. It artificially inflates the price, making them unobtainable for the

regular Joe. ....

+1

While I'm not into sigs in general, I appreciate some of the "recreations"/"exact replicas" that have been done. One recent sig that was a pleasant surprise was Aaron Lewis' 1951 Southern Jumbo. I liked that it seemed to be more about the guitar than the player.

Seems the only people it bothers are the ones who wouldn't buy a signature model to start with. Martin also makes guitars that cost as much as a house, but I don't kick the dog over it. I don't ever hear signature guitar buyers mumbling that somebody bought a stock D-18. So if Martin wants to make a Sam Donaldson 000-45, what's the biggie?

Seems the only people it bothers are the ones who wouldn't buy a signature model to start with. Martin also makes guitars that cost as much as a house, but I don't kick the dog over it. I don't ever hear signature guitar buyers mumbling that somebody bought a stock D-18. So if Martin wants to make a Sam Donaldson 000-45, what's the biggie?

GP,

It's not the signature concept that bothers me ... I could and would buy a guitar that an Artist made to his/her specs as long as the signature isn't inlaid on the guitar (the Elliot Easton SG for example). Elliot had his name placed on the truss rod cover just because he thought it was a great guitar and thought it would appeal to people who were not fans of The Cars ... I think The Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo also has no signature inlay so I think that's a great one =D.

JC

I've heard that Rogue is coming-out with "The Missouripicker Signature." I bet people are already lining-up for it.............Linda Rondstadt did use to play a folksy style of guitar. Think the Silk Purse album had her doing some of it. Pretty basic stuff, but she was okay. Of course, she was "Linda." That was during the late 60's/early 70's when she also often forgot to wear underwear. Ah, Arrowhead Stadium, 1972. I'll never forget it.....but, that's a different thread.

As long as the "money spending" public buys them, the marketing "geniuses" will just keep "catchin'"the fishie, fishie on the hook. Just look around. Martin 1940D28

I know it works. Up through the late 1960s, the only Gibsons I had experience with were the small body guitars like the L-00. Then I saw Jorma and Tuna and next day I started my hunt for a J-50. I had been playing "Hesitation Blues" for years but when Jorma hit it I just about jumped out of my skin. I knew owning that guitar woud not make me nail it like Jorma but it couldn't hurt.

Archived