Gibson Brands Forums

GOT A J60

MissouriPicker

Got a J60 about 10 days ago. Figured I'd play it a bit before I gave my impressions. I'll get some pics up as soon as I find my cables for my camera. Laid new carpet in my music room last week and I can't find the cables for my Kodak. For the moment, the pics set unloaded. I knew where everything was when the room was in a mess. Now everything looks more orderly and my wife likes that, but I can't find anything...lol.....

Bought it from a member of the this forum, VeggieRyan. We emailed and talked on the phone about the guitar. The guitar is everything he said it was. There is a crack on the back that was professionally repaired, and it was a darn nice repair job. In all seriousness, the tech's work looks more like herringbone than a repair. Very smooth. Anyway, cracks are not a real big deal for me. They're easy enough to fix right, and the right tech can make it look better than right. A few scuff marks and some checking on the finish. Not bad at all for a twenty-year-old guitar. It came with a black diamond saddle on it. Got the original bone saddle also. I'm very pleased with the condition of this guitar. It's been played, but not abused. Rosewood B/S, Spruce top. The neck is very comfortable for me. Perfect for the easy-going slides I do with my folk songs. It was setup a bit higher than I like, but a quarter turn of the truss rod and I was in hog heaven with it. Real easy on the fingers. Love it.

This guitar is very loud. Don't know how old the strings are that are currently on it, but the volumn is considerable. I'm changing them in a couple days when I install the LR Baggs M1 pickup I have. In all sincerity, this is a serious acoustic guitar. Even considering all that I've read about the J60's volumn and all that I was expecting, it is more powerful than I imagined it would be. The sustain is really ear-catching. The soundhole is like an entrance to a huge echo chamber. The sound goes on and on. Fingerpicking is a dream with an acoustic having this kind of volumn. If anything, I have to sing a bit louder than I normally do. On some songs I make sure I pick softer. With no exaggeration, boasting, etc., if a picker were to start playing this guitar, not knowing anything about the brand or model, he/she would likely say something like "My God!" after hitting the first couple of chords. The acoustic power of this instrument cannont be denied. The bass is the raspy Gibson thump and the meds and highs ring clear, and again, on and on. I prefer the bone saddle over the black diamond. The black diamond is a brighter sound (more Tayloresque, and I'm not knocking Taylor). It's a sweet saddle, supplying very clear notes and tone. The bone is the sound you expect from a Gibson. With either saddle, the guitar rocks. The best word I can think of to describe the entire instrument is "powerful.' A big dread on steriods.

The day after it arrived a friend came over with his HD28 so we could do some comparing. He just sat there and shook his head saying "You're shi***** me, man." He's got a real good HD, but the difference in volumn is pronounced and very noticeable. I'm still kind of in-awe of the volumn in these guitars. If at the end of the world the angel Gabrial really wants to be heard, he won't be blowing a horn, he'll be playing a J60.

Anyway, I'll cut it short for now. This guitar is simply a cannon. Remember "Atomic Annie"? You can find her on YOUTUBE. I'm real pleased with it. I'll get a video clip of it this week and put it up here. I think for now that my GAS has calmed-down. I'm real satisfied.....Just think volumn....lots and lots of it.

Ryan, thanks for selling it my friend. You're an honest and decent guy. [thumbup]

I bought a guitar via the trading post from gratedmb21 .

It was at a great price and the guitar exceeded my expectations.

As long as the member has a good reputation I think I would trust it more than Ebay.

Hey Man, congrats pn what sounds like a great guitar.....weren't these referred tp as "Bone Crushers"? I think they were designed to take on the Martin D-28's and from what I heard, they did a pretty good job. Because they were "N0n-traditional" Gibsons, they didn't really take off with the Gibson community. So, great find!!

Didn't want to open a new thread to say this----can't get pics to load onto the forum. No matter how small I make the pictures it keeps telling me that it's too large to be uploaded. I'll likely just post a video of the guitar either tomorrow or Thursday. Thanks for the interest. Very typical of this forum...Nice.

Didn't want to open a new thread to say this----can't get pics to load onto the forum. No matter how small I make the pictures it keeps telling me that it's too large to be uploaded. I'll likely just post a video of the guitar either tomorrow or Thursday. Thanks for the interest. Very typical of this forum...Nice.

Congrats MP! Looking forward to seeing your new guitar! Sounds like a nice one.

Archived