Gibson Brands Forums

ES137

Roger Gunn

Hi you all!!!!!!

Just wanna say i´ve allways play the les paul´s when i play Bluesrock and Hardrock. (that´s what i play)

and they are just great the les paul guitars!!!!!!

BUT i purchased a Gibson ES137. WHAT A GUITAR!!!!!!!! MY GOD!!

The sound uv that guitar is AMAZING!!!! It plays very well and looks fantastic.... and the sound....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am very happy with that guitar!!!

The ES137 and a Marshall AFD100 Woowwww!!!

Just wanted to say this. Be Good Rock on!

Love Roger Gunn

Indeed, a real sleeper of a guitar.

I don't own one...played a few, and the 135. I am hip.

There IS something to be said about the tone of the shorter necks, such as on LP's and others, as opposed to langer necks like the 335 and SG's. And there is also something about semi-hollows like the 335's and such.

The 137 has both of these elements. While all the elements of it are 100% Gibson, there is also no other guitar quite like it with quite the blending of these proven tonal recipees that contribute so well to the tone on other well loves models of Gibby's.

Not surprising at all a 137 would be an absolute monster of a tone machine.

Hi you all!!!!!!

Just wanna say i´ve allways play the les paul´s when i play Bluesrock and Hardrock. (that´s what i play)

The sound uv that guitar is AMAZING!!!! It plays very well and looks fantastic.... and the sound....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love Roger Gunn

My son picked one up this summer. We were just window shopping that day and asked to play one for fun. Big mistake...or how fortuitous. It came home that day. It's a wonderful guitar for blues, jazz and rock. Did somebody say tone monster? Wish they made lefty's.

I totally love my 135, so much I might buy a 137. Let's keep this our little secret. For one, the slightly deeper body, must make the biggest sonic dif between these and 335's. Also like the deeper neck profile better. I played a LP for years and won't go back. Congrads on your guitar choice!

I have posted before about the joys of the ES 137... [thumbup]

IMO one of the truly inspired offerings from Gibson

It makes a very interesting complement to the ES 335, ES 175 and Les Paul

Taking elements of each and making a true original

With looks to die for... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Congrats! ES-137s are great guitars. I love mine! I just finished playing some raging metal tunes on it about 20 minutes ago, to break in new strings I put on tonight. I would have spent more time playing my '137, but it's getting late, and I have to get up early tomorrow for work.

Too many players do not realize that hollowbody and semi-hollowbody guitars are capable of so much more than just clean tones. While I have solidbody guitars - give me f-holes please! [biggrin] I have been playing semi-hollowbodies since the mid 1980s (when I bought my first semi-hollowbody - a 1970s tobacco sunburst, Les Paul Signature), and I've been playing them in heavy rock bands, since the early 90s (my main gigging guitar through most of the 90s, was a 1980, tobacco sunburst, Howard Roberts Fusion). I've also used hollowbodies (mainly Gretsches) for heavy music. Hollows and semi-hollows sound sooo throaty, when played at mega gain levels. [thumbup] There are tricks/playing techniques you can do, to prevent feedback from getting out of control, without having to resort to stuffing things in the body (which IMO, is detrimental to the sound). Keep the feedback under control at high volume and gain levels, and you can also have fun playing with it, to get cool sounds.

Hey Ellengirl.....soundjunkie here. Nice to see you here on the Gibson forums! [biggrin]

Hi Soundjunkie. Longtime no see. I hope things are going well for you. Yep, I have a Gibson again (for the first time since 1999 - when I had to sell my Howard Roberts Fusion).

Hi Soundjunkie. Longtime no see. I hope things are going well for you. Yep, I have a Gibson again (for the first time since 1999 - when I had to sell my Howard Roberts Fusion).

I sold my LP Custom that I had since '76 and started obsessing oover "other" guitars. Reverend, Gretsch, Fender .... you know.

BUT, these never fulfilled me like the Gibson. Soooo, I'm back with a semi-hollow now and you're right! Freaking amazing tonal nirvana. And what's not to love about a little controlled feedback mixed in for fun. The ES-135's and 137's flat out RAWK! And they look mucho cool. :-({|=

I sold my LP Custom that I had since '76 and started obsessing oover "other" guitars. Reverend, Gretsch, Fender .... you know.

BUT, these never fulfilled me like the Gibson. Soooo, I'm back with a semi-hollow now and you're right! Freaking amazing tonal nirvana. And what's not to love about a little controlled feedback mixed in for fun. The ES-135's and 137's flat out RAWK! And they look mucho cool. :-({|=

Ditto for me. I got frustrated with the FilterTrons in my Gretsch 6119-1962 Tennessee Rose. They just didn't do it for me anymore (and I don't like PowerTrons - they sound so honky at high gain levels). Dynasonics (like I had in my Country Clubs) didn't do it for me anymore either (I didn't want a mutant Tele sound - I already have an Esquire, that fills that need quite fine). I think the final straw for Gretsch, was when I read a thread on the GDP, where they dissed a guy for playing metal on a Gretsch BST1000 in a YouTube video - GPPers seem so obsessed with clean, twangy, rockabilly, Chet Atkins, or George Harrison tones. I posted in the thread, saying in a nutshell, that not everybody who played Gretsches, wanted to be a twang banger, and that they were being tone snobs. The dissing of the Gretsch metal player continued. I ended up not going back to the GDP in disgust (I'd been dealing with the lack of any hard music discussion on the forum since Day 1 [back in late 2008] anyway).

I always missed my old 1980 Howard Roberts Fusion I had to sell in 1999, due to a money crunch (despite the fact that it was the heaviest guitar I've ever had - it weighed 13 lbs, and I used to have a sore shoulder, after playing it for 3 sets). But, I couldn't afford the new ones, and frankly preferred the old Mark 1 & Mark 2 versions, with their stop tailpieces. I'd tried out a suburst ES-137 a year or two ago. It was a nice guitar, but I wasn't sure if I really wanted it. But in December, after getting annoyed from reading the GDP thread I mentioned above, I decided to check out some more Gibbys, thinking, that maybe it was time to go back to Gibsons (from 1984 till 1999, I was basically a Gibson Player). I got to my favorite guitar shop (Cream City Music), saw a blueburst, 2011 ES-137 on the wall, and took it for a spin. It was like coming home. I basically went nuts playing it - it reminded me in many ways, of my old Howard Roberts Fusion, only better - a great playing neck, killer smokey sounding jazz tones (which my Gretsches never really had), and nice grinding tone at mega gain levels. When I was asked what I thought about the guitar, my answer was "yes!" I traded my Gretsch, paid another $300, and took the ES-137 home with me. It's good to have a Gibby semi again! [thumbup]

Ditto for me. I got frustrated with the FilterTrons in my Gretsch 6119-1962 Tennessee Rose. They just didn't do it for me anymore (and I don't like PowerTrons - they sound so honky at high gain levels). Dynasonics (like I had in my Country Clubs) didn't do it for me anymore either (I didn't want a mutant Tele sound - I already have an Esquire, that fills that need quite fine). I think the final straw for Gretsch, was when I read a thread on the GDP, where they dissed a guy for playing metal on a Gretsch BST1000 in a YouTube video - GPPers seem so obsessed with clean, twangy, rockabilly, Chet Atkins, or George Harrison tones. I posted in the thread, saying in a nutshell, that not everybody who played Gretsches, wanted to be a twang banger, and that they were being tone snobs. The dissing of the Gretsch metal player continued. I ended up not going back to the GDP in disgust (I'd been dealing with the lack of any hard music discussion on the forum since Day 1 [back in late 2008] anyway).

I always missed my old 1980 Howard Roberts Fusion I had to sell in 1999, due to a money crunch (despite the fact that it was the heaviest guitar I've ever had - it weighed 13 lbs, and I used to have a sore shoulder, after playing it for 3 sets). But, I couldn't afford the new ones, and frankly preferred the old Mark 1 & Mark 2 versions, with their stop tailpieces. I'd tried out a suburst ES-137 a year or two ago. It was a nice guitar, but I wasn't sure if I really wanted it. But in December, after getting annoyed from reading the GDP thread I mentioned above, I decided to check out some more Gibbys, thinking, that maybe it was time to go back to Gibsons (from 1984 till 1999, I was basically a Gibson Player). I got to my favorite guitar shop (Cream City Music), saw a blueburst, 2011 ES-137 on the wall, and took it for a spin. It was like coming home. I basically went nuts playing it - it reminded me in many ways, of my old Howard Roberts Fusion, only better - a great playing neck, killer smokey sounding jazz tones (which my Gretsches never really had), and nice grinding tone at mega gain levels. When I was asked what I thought about the guitar, my answer was "yes!" I traded my Gretsch, paid another $300, and took the ES-137 home with me. It's good to have a Gibby semi again! [thumbup]

Wow...similar story! Back around '08, I delved into Gretsch. I was hesitant as you say these guitars were primarily rockabilly and country bunkee guitars. I don't play that mess. I wanted the guitar to rock, but never could get it to do so. I had a 125 anni with powertrons, same pickups as in the Billy Bo. That guitar was dead and lifeless. Not even decent chime. Had it for six months and out it went. I do like the '59 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman, but it's heavy and huge. That guiitar will do rock, but the tenny's and other hollow bodies just don't do it for me.

I almost scored a 137 this week to go with my 135! I will eventually score one. I like the blue one best.

Wow...similar story! Back around '08, I delved into Gretsch. I was hesitant as you say these guitars were primarily rockabilly and country bunkee guitars. I don't play that mess. I wanted the guitar to rock, but never could get it to do so. I had a 125 anni with powertrons, same pickups as in the Billy Bo. That guitar was dead and lifeless. Not even decent chime. Had it for six months and out it went. I do like the '59 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman, but it's heavy and huge. That guiitar will do rock, but the tenny's and other hollow bodies just don't do it for me.

I almost scored a 137 this week to go with my 135! I will eventually score one. I like the blue one best.

My '137 is blueburst. Here's a photo I took of mine today:

2011GibsonES137C-Jan262013_zps41f136e3.jpg

Yep, I'm not a twang banger (and got tired of the mentality that twang was the only way to go), and I never quite got the grind out of Gretsches, that I got out of the NOS 2003 Country Club w/Dynasonics, that I had to sell back in 2009. And even that one, never crunched like any of the Gibbys I've had. Yeah, it was time to say bye-bye to Gretsches.

Good luck in your ES-137 search. Mine has become my #1 guitar. out of the 4 electrics I have.

Thanks for the post...!!

That Blueburst 137 is a total beauty...IMO the best blue guitar around... [thumbup]

Personally moi still enjoys Dynasonic loaded Gretsch's(Duo Jet) and S/C Rickenbackers(330)

IMO the big thing with the ES 137 Classic is the successful use of 490/498 P/U configuration

IMX a great blues guitar...

V

:-({|=

Hi you all!!!!!!

Love Roger Gunn

Yeah, you'll find that lots of people go the 135,137 route too. I now have several semi-solid Gibson guitars and rarely play the two LP's

I have. If you want to knock your socks off try a 135 with P90's!

I'm glad you like it, a whole new world of sound has opened up to you.

I always missed my old 1980 Howard Roberts Fusion I had to sell in 1999, due to a money crunch

A few months ago I bought a HRF, and it gets played a LOT!!! Too bad you had to sell yours. I've had to do that myself and always regretted having to be in that situation. You will be happy to know that HRF's in nice shape have been sold for ~$1300 on Feebay :-)

A few months ago I bought a HRF, and it gets played a LOT!!! Too bad you had to sell yours. I've had to do that myself and always regretted having to be in that situation. You will be happy to know that HRF's in nice shape have been sold for ~$1300 on Feebay :-)

Yep, I've noticed that. But at the time I was looking at them on evilBay (about 2 years ago), I was still in my "I'll stick with Gretsch" phase. Now that I have my '137, I actually prefer it to my old Howard Roberts Fusion.

Yep, I've noticed that. But at the time I was looking at them on evilBay (about 2 years ago), I was still in my "I'll stick with Gretsch" phase. Now that I have my '137, I actually prefer it to my old Howard Roberts Fusion.

There's a surprise, and it goes to show that there's a seat for every butt :-) Until I got the HRF I played the 137 a lot, nowadays it doesn't get much playing at all.

There's a surprise, and it goes to show that there's a seat for every butt :-) Until I got the HRF I played the 137 a lot, nowadays it doesn't get much playing at all.

In my case, I've grown to like playing large bodied guitars over the years (probably because my playing style is similar to a jazz guitarist's playing style). The larger and deeper body of my '137 feels more comfortable to me, than the smaller body of the Howard Roberts Fusion. But, don't get me wrong, the Howard Robarts Fusion, is still a great guitar IMO.

In my cae, I've grown to like playing large bodied guitars over the years (probably because my plying style is similar to a jazz guitarist's playing style). The larger and deeper body of my '137 feels more comfortable to me, than the smaller body of the Howard Roberts Fusion. But, don't get me wrong, the Howard Robarts Fusion, is still a great guitar IMO.

I totally agree, I find my ES137 much more comfortable to play... especially while standing.. I put single coil phat cats on it and I use it for my jazz gigs as well at any of the blues jams...

In my case, I've grown to like playing large bodied guitars over the years (probably because my playing style is similar to a jazz guitarist's playing style). The larger and deeper body of my '137 feels more comfortable to me, than the smaller body of the Howard Roberts Fusion. But, don't get me wrong, the Howard Robarts Fusion, is still a great guitar IMO.

Mine is an 03 CSB Custom. I've been looking at the 137 in that blue burst :-0

Archived