Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 love

livemusic

I'm drooling over the sound of that custom AJ with mahogany that was posted. But... I have a 2010 J-45 standard that just blows me away with its sound! It is gorgeous with its bass, it's thump, its woodiness, yet it's beautiful tone. I continue to try to beat its sound and if I find it, I am buying it! Anyone else love the J-45 sound? (I still have never played a J-45 TV... and want to.) But also, AJ and SJ. And whatever Gibsons I come across.

Today, I am also loving my '68 J-50, as it seems better balanced today after a string change two days ago. It also shines it its own way.

But my J-45, strings were changed almost a month ago and it sounds fab! (I have reported that Martin Lifespan strings on my J-45 are heaven.)

Here's my '51. I will never let it go.

54j45sofa.jpg

jannusguy , youre at it again...

if i was gonna break into anyone's house on this forum it'd be yours ...

can you do any sound clips ? i'd really love to hear if your guitars sounded half as good as they look

am also in love with my j45 , never been so delighted with a guitar before

jannusguy , youre at it again...

if i was gonna break into anyone's house on this forum it'd be yours ...

can you do any sound clips ? i'd really love to hear if your guitars sounded half as good as they look

am also in love with my j45 , never been so delighted with a guitar before

I bought myself an iPhone. will try out the video capabilities before long and see if I can manage a clip or two...

We have a lot in common! I also have a 2010 J45 Standard with Martin Lifespans. Nothing else comes close in the 'hog world for me. I usually change strings every 6 weeks and can get the Lifespans half price compared to D'Addario EXP's which last me about the same time! 2010 musta been a good year on the J45 front!

On the rosewood front I couldn't bond with SWD and regret swapping my D28 to get it. Plan this year is to nurture a new D28 from birth. Over the moon with a new Martin D16RGT I got last October. It's a cannon for the money and the neck is to die for..but want my D28 back...please.

We have a lot in common! I also have a 2010 J45 Standard with Martin Lifespans. Nothing else comes close in the 'hog world for me. I usually change strings every 6 weeks and can get the Lifespans half price compared to D'Addario EXP's which last me about the same time! 2010 musta been a good year on the J45 front!

On the rosewood front I couldn't bond with SWD and regret swapping my D28 to get it. Plan this year is to nurture a new D28 from birth. Over the moon with a new Martin D16RGT I got last October. It's a cannon for the money and the neck is to die for..but want my D28 back...please.

I have a D28, too! I forget, but I think it is 2010 model and it is gorgeous with an old Martin sunburst. We have a Gibson J-45 and a Martin D-28, pretty good combo.

But my J-45, strings were changed almost a month ago and it sounds fab!

Holy shades of Tiger Beat magazine.

While I have owned SJs I have managed to accumulate just one J-45 - actually a Banner J-50 but close enough. A friend of mine put it as well as I have yet to hear - juust a big banging cowboy chord playing guitar.

L1000792.jpg

I have a 2007 J-45TV. It is heaven man. And I have a recent J-50 from Fuller's, which is a J-45 "natural" but with the old style pickguard. The J-50 is a little tight but will mature.

J-45's are every-man's guitar. They are warm, woody, and oh that low E thump! You can't get that on any other guitar and I have tried...

I love my guitars, and I am glad you love yours! I have Lifespan PB lights on mine both right now. John Pearse PB Lights also sound great (well on the TV anyways - haven't had a chance to put them on the J-50 yet), but I still am partial to the long life of the Lifespans.

A lot of people here have a 2010 Gibson J45 Standard - all because someone like you posted a love story in 2009 and everyone got the Fever!

Personally, I went to a music shop that advertised one (about 100 miles return journey from my house) and asked the guy at the 'gate' about it, and he was a bit annoying and gave me every guitar to try but the J45, and then he left me alone with the 2010 and you know the rest. I went to the bank and drew a 'cash cheque' for the agreed amount, then went racing back to the shop to be told they could not let the guitar go until the cash was in their hands, so I said I would go back to the bank and get cash, but I saw the sign pointing to the freeway home and went home in a huff.

It seemed like months later, but really it was only a few days, that I went to a different shop and spied......YEP! J45 Standard over in the rack. Yep! I walked past a couple of times, feigning interest in some other box so the salesman would not know my cards, and then said, can I try THAT?

You know, or can guess, the rest.

Yesterday I went to change strings on it and made the mistake of playing a tune and forgot about changing strings and played it for about 2 sessions of 1 1/2 hours each.....

BluesKing777.

A lot of people here have a 2010 Gibson J45 Standard - all because someone like you posted a love story in 2009 and everyone got the Fever!

Personally, I went to a music shop that advertised one (about 100 miles return journey from my house) and asked the guy at the 'gate' about it, and he was a bit annoying and gave me every guitar to try but the J45, and then he left me alone with the 2010 and you know the rest. I went to the bank and drew a 'cash cheque' for the agreed amount, then went racing back to the shop to be told they could not let the guitar go until the cash was in their hands, so I said I would go back to the bank and get cash, but I saw the sign pointing to the freeway home and went home in a huff.

It seemed like months later, but really it was only a few days, that I went to a different shop and spied......YEP! J45 Standard over in the rack. Yep! I walked past a couple of times, feigning interest in some other box so the salesman would not know my cards, and then said, can I try THAT?

You know, or can guess, the rest.

Yesterday I went to change strings on it and made the mistake of playing a tune and forgot about changing strings and played it for about 2 sessions of 1 1/2 hours each.....

BluesKing777.

I forgot to mention my 2010 J45 Standard WAS absolutely flawless - I know we see a lot of complaints about fit/finish on them so.....

BUT I put a huge ding in the lower bout binding by hitting the corner of my Music Room door - almost right through.

BluesKing777.

Archived