Gibson Brands Forums

I'm probably an idiot for considering this trade...

kebob

I stumbled upon a new J200 sunburst standard in my local shop. First one I've seen/played as they are rare where I live. The thing sounds like heaven. I have several guitars in my collection and a couple that don't get played much. I'm considering trading a Martin hd28 and a Taylor 814ce for the J200. Part of me says I'm nuts. Part of me says since I don't play them much, they should go in favor of something that will get played. I know I'm getting less on a trade, but selling high end guitars locally is a hassle with low ball offers and house visits, etc.

Sounds like a road well traveled. Traded my D35 for a JB, and never looked back. Looks like you'll have a few Martins left in the stable. What is an SWOMGT ?

Martin's Smartwood OM Gloss Top -- made from sustainable woods -- very underrated OM guitar Martin made for a few years. I see you have a southern jumbo -- I'd kill to run into one of those locally, unfortunately i live in a smaller city and not much selection.

you said it yourself the J 200 sounded live heaven . get the guitars in the car and head over to the store before someone takes that piece of hevean far far away !!!

JC

haha -- yeah, I keep going back and forth. I have a hard time parting with two really nice guitars for one really nice guitar. I don't have any experience playing a jumbo size guitar -- I've read where it's hard on some people (shoulders) to play after awhile. Trying to cover all my bases. I really like the Taylor 814, but the electronics (expression system) they use is horrid. I've tried to bond with it, but it's not working. Acoustically, it's a great guitar, but plugged in, it sounds bad to me.

I recently bought a J-200 Standard and I've played high-end Taylors and Martins and other Gibsons and I was swept away by the sound of the J-200. There isn't a guitar I've played with its fullness. It's a big guitar and I wouldn't want to do a 2hr set standing with it, but for recording and playing shorter sets it's a perfect guitar.

I know others love their J-45s and I like them, but if you're a J-200 guy, you're a J-200 guy. That's why they make the different models.

As for the trade, I would see if the deal couldn't be sweetened a little for you or maybe there's an amp or something that could be thrown in for you to sell on your own or anything to take that sting out. But in the end I'd rather have one amazing guitar than two high-end guitars that lack excitement.

Or perhaps, figure out how much cash you'd have to kick in on top of just one of the guitars and maybe bargain down that way....

just a few thoughts.

I recently bought a J-200 Standard and I've played high-end Taylors and Martins and other Gibsons and I was swept away by the sound of the J-200. There isn't a guitar I've played with its fullness. It's a big guitar and I wouldn't want to do a 2hr set standing with it, but for recording and playing shorter sets it's a perfect guitar.

I know others love their J-45s and I like them, but if you're a J-200 guy, you're a J-200 guy. That's why they make the different models.

As for the trade, I would see if the deal couldn't be sweetened a little for you or maybe there's an amp or something that could be thrown in for you to sell on your own or anything to take that sting out. But in the end I'd rather have one amazing guitar than two high-end guitars that lack excitement.

Or perhaps, figure out how much cash you'd have to kick in on top of just one of the guitars and maybe bargain down that way....

just a few thoughts.

Thanks -- that gives me a little more clarity. I don't think I can swing the deal without trading in both guitars as the J200 is $3,500 new or thereabouts. I have a question for you since you are a J200 ownwer: do you use a capo much on the 200? I've read in a couple different places where 200 owners say it loses its punch when capoed... ?

It is interesting this comes up. I have a Martin D-18 that I inherited. It is a beautiful guitar in every way, but what I want is a vintage burst J185. I keep thinking about offering up the Martin for trade and see if anyone bites but I would have to let go of some sentimental attachment to the guitar as well. It belonged to my Mother. Funny thing about my whole dilemma is that my Mother would have probably preferred the J185 herself. See, see received the Martin as an apology for the Smashing of her beloved Gibson 12 string in a domestic situation. Gibson gets smashed in a drunken rage, Martin comes as a an apology guitar. I get Martin and want a Gibsom, even though I love the Martin. [crying][mellow]

I stumbled upon a new J200 sunburst standard in my local shop. First one I've seen/played as they are rare where I live. The thing sounds like heaven. I have several guitars in my collection and a couple that don't get played much. I'm considering trading a Martin hd28 and a Taylor 814ce for the J200. Part of me says I'm nuts. Part of me says since I don't play them much, they should go in favor of something that will get played. I know I'm getting less on a trade, but selling high end guitars locally is a hassle with low ball offers and house visits, etc.

I was in the same situation back in 1995, when I owned a Martin HD-28 as my one and only good acoustic guitar. I happened to wander into Elderly Instruments' showroom while on a family vacation ("I'll just be a couple of hours, dear; I won't actually BUY anything -- really!!"), and that was IT!

I bought a J-200, traded the HD-28, never looked back!

Good luck -- when the siren calls ya gotta answer!

Fred

I'd do the trade. The 200 is by far my favorite playing and sounding guitar. I thought the same thing as you when I first tried it.

Capo schmapo - no problem. Play for long periods of time - no musculoskeletal problems (for me anyway).

Thanks -- that gives me a little more clarity. I don't think I can swing the deal without trading in both guitars as the J200 is $3,500 new or thereabouts. I have a question for you since you are a J200 ownwer: do you use a capo much on the 200? I've read in a couple different places where 200 owners say it loses its punch when capoed... ?

Just for reference, I've bought a new j200 this past year for $3000.

If it personally feels like a move forward, do it.

I've made many trades like this, and have never regretted a single one.

Example: Traded three guitars straight across for my '06 ES-335.

If it turns out to be a keeper, you've done the right thing.

I watched Little Jimmy Dickens play a full set with his signature J200 and he is four feet tall and in his upper 80s!

Shesh Kebob......On our local Craigs list you could sell your Martin for $1700, and the Taylor for about $1800.....locally J-200's are selling for around $2500..... that's about $1000 difference in value against you.....that better be a pretty nice J-200 for that trade.....good luck in the hunt!! $3500 can buy you a brand new one with full warranty, etc.....just sayin'....

I haven't noticed any sacrifice in sound using a capo. It is smart to use one, in fact, since you want use the ringing open strings as much as possible, since it brings out the best in the guitar.

I purchased my J-200 nearly new for $2650 with all expenses factored in. I see them on U.S. eBay in this condition for anywhere from $2300 to 3K. I would only go to $3500 if a full warranty concerned me.

Good luck!

Shesh Kebob......On our local Craigs list you could sell your Martin for $1700, and the Taylor for about $1800.....locally J-200's are selling for around $2500..... that's about $1000 difference in value against you.....that better be a pretty nice J-200 for that trade.....good luck in the hunt!! $3500 can buy you a brand new one with full warranty, etc.....just sayin'....

Perhaps I wasn't clear -- the trade is for a NEW J200 -- retails for $3700, but they knocked it down to $3,300.

And... I brought it home. I couldn't resist -- she was callin' me -- I got it bad.

Perhaps I wasn't clear -- the trade is for a NEW J200 -- retails for $3700, but they knocked it down to $3,300.

And... I brought it home. I couldn't resist -- she was callin' me -- I got it bad.

Congratulations!

A great new guitar and you have also made some space....for....

BluesKing777.

Archived