Gibson Brands Forums

Discouraged.

Buxom

Arthritis runs in my family, and to be honest, I think I may be developing it. I do feel the joints in my hands tightening up, and my wrists are in pain a lot of the time, but I manage to push through, most of the time.

I can't manage to play through any of the songs that I used to, other than ones with simple transitions, and really can't learn with my left hand, being the way it is. Pinhead literally killed my left hand today.

Then again, my left hand is the one that I broke, and cold does tend to mess with broken bones.

I just hope I don't end up having to dust off gear each time I use it.

Cheers.

Doesn't sound like fun at all. Did you see a doctor? It may not be what you think. For example, my wrist hurt for quite a while and I thought it was tendinitis in the wrist. I iced it up and did all the things they say to do. Turns out it was tendinitis but it was at my elbow! It was just radiating down to my wrist. I worked the elbow area for a month and then I was fine.

Do not assume that you have something. Go to the doctor and get it checked out.

I had a metal friend who is in a band and he plays seriously fast stuff. Anyways, he had his wrist in a guard looking thing because his doctor told him he had something like tendonitis or carpal...either way, he's playing again after a year of taking a break, doing gigs, has a new album out.

Ani Difranco had the same thing happen after years of playing. She took a year off and is back in full swing.

Go to the doctor, don't assume. [-X

Going to the doctor within a next week or 2. I'm just worried about it. It does run in my family, and when I was in the ER, getting my left set, they said it might show up early. I'm just worried over it.

welcome to the process called "aging" ! it's not much fun.

busted up both my hands in years past also....left pinkie's only finger I haven't broken, including thumbs, broken my right wrist 2X and crushed several bones in my pick hand as well.

whatever you do, don't give up !.....slow down if you have to, but don't give up.

they make some good meds that take away SOME of the pain of arthritis...IF you want to take them.

my best to you!

Mine actually get better the more I play. If I lay off for too long everything starts to stiffen up. Diagnosed with osteoarthritis 15 years ago (I'm in my early 60's). And the x-rays of my hands don't look that great- In addition to the osteo (or maybe as the cause of) I played goalkeeper (soccer) for 20 years before I retired to ref and every bone in both hands has been broken at least once. Just keep playing and when it starts to hurt, stop playing for a little while.

welcome to the process called "aging" ! it's not much fun.

How true, but considering the alternative...Hey, even Les Paul had arthritis and managed to find a way to keep playing until he, well, let's just say couldn't play anymore.

That said, I agree, have a Doc check things out. Your body get's real weird as you get older (and don't ask how I know this LOL)

Hey Buxom I guess you know better than most people on this forum the trouble that I'm having with my hands.The worst thing that you can do is to let your hands become atrophied from lack of use.I know well enough that it can hurt like hell to play most days but I've found that it's best to rest your hands for a few minutes when you feel them getting tired or painful.Do some stretches with your hands and forearms and although this sounds silly do some Pete Townshend type windmills as they stimulate the blood flow in your hands which helps to keep them supple.I find that immersing my hands in a bucket of very warm water-not hot!!!-really helps to relax them and ease the pain.Also always keep your hands warm because if by some chance it is arthritis or God forbid,Raynauds Syndrome,any contact with even the slighest drop in temp can exascerbate the condition.I think that you should ask your family doctor for a referal to see a rheumatologist.Good Luck with it and keep us posted.

I had a orthopedic tell me that it was common for arthritis to set in bones that have been broken. I hurt my ankle years ago and now am dealing with it. I feel for you having it in your hands, but don't lose hope. You may have to adjust how you play but you can still enjoy the guitar. One of my favorite guitarists, Tony Rice, has arthritis in his hands. He used to be a blazing fast player, but now he plays very differently. I'm an older guy and can attest that we just have to adjust to the fact that we can't do what we did when we were younger. Few people can. I was always amazed that Stephane Grappelli could play the way he did when he was in his 80s, but he's a rare exception. I've seen Rice shaking or grabbing his wrists during and after tunes and it's sad to see. But he said that he has to just limit how often he does shows and how long he plays. Don't give up playing. It's more important to recognize and accept limitations and make the most of them. Best of luck to you.

Archived