Gibson Brands Forums

Tun-o-matic, bridge, guitar tuning

Fereyle

Simple, go to the hardware store and buy 3/64 and 5/64 drill bits. I'd suggest also getting 2/64 (1/32) and 4/64 (1/16) inch bits as well if you're fastidious. The process is easier with someone holding the flashlight and maybe even a pair of old people's glasses if you fall into that category. Place the drill bit on the twelth fret under the string.. lower the bridge (clockwise). When the dust starts coming off the underside of your string, you're getting close.

STEP 1

Loosen all your strings

STEP 2

Raise your bridge ( Tun-o-matic bridge ) (counterclockwise)

STEP 3

Tighten your strings to withing a couple of semitones.. lower than 440 A after middle C ...

TUNE YOUR GUITAR flat, and quick

this process can take a little while so quickness at this point is only as good for being able to stick that drill bit up under your strings so that you can lower ( clockwise ) the Tun-o-matic while holding the drill bit on top of the twelth fret

STEP 4

Start lowering your bridge and keep tuning.

NOTE:

I think a tuner if very handy here. If you have a computer and reading this (duh) and a microphone, 'Pitch Perfect Instrument Tuner' is a free software that is the very best that I've come across. It's very accurate and easy to use. An adapter that I purchased for $0.01 in an Amazon order provides me a means to plug in my stereo 1/4 for mini 1/8 "line in" port to my computer and it's stronger of an input than even a good microphone. Just make sure you unmute and turn up your recording levels via the windows sound "control panel" and/or if you're running through a processor, match the volume levels somehow and bypass any effects to the line, and turn your guitar all the way up too.

STEP 4

REPEAT until the string gets loose and then bring it back with with the low D, like drop D

REPEAT

5/64 on low E and 3/64 on high E

done yet? no?

REPEAT

STEP 5

Tune the guitar accurately, to real E, 440hz A above middle C. Now do some jammin and see if you got any fret buzz. If so raise the bridge on that side a little. It'll probably be on the heavier strings first. They are just factory setting. Also you can probably go a little lower on the high side but some say it hurts the tone.. My ear isn't that good and plus.. I own a Gibson.. so, I'm going to be comfortable and lower each side until it starts to buzz, then crank it a 1/8 turn it up (just in case), up is counterclockwise and then ..

DONE

STEP 6.. yes there's another step, and it's requires a good tuner or the ear of a guitar god

TUNE YOUR GUITAR PERFECTLY and then tune your BRIDGE, but first

your open string should sound like your 12th harmonic and your twelth fret

I use the reading on all three. The open string strike is going to be little high, then settle, then go down (not much with the Les Paul. So let the open string and initial pick ride a little high to settle just below within 1 second of picking.. it's in tune. Tune every string at least twice. Then pick the the 12th fret and 12th fret harmonic readings. If they are high, you need to lengthen your string, vice/versa if they are low.

NOTES:

Always tune up, if you go over come completely down (at least a semitone or at least a half a twist)

When getting close tuning up, beat that string up a little.. pull on it up and down in the plane of the guitar, play a few chords or a riff or two... move that sting so you know it isn't stuck.

Tune the A440 on the open A string (A2 @ 110.00hz) and the G string 14th fret (A4 @ 440.00hz). This will give you a good 440, like stainless steel.

To mess with your bridge string length, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to have every string in perfect tune at once. That's why it costs money to take it to a professional to have your guritar PROFESSIONALLY adjusted.

STEP 7

TUNE YOUR BRIDGE.. take notes. Write down every string and what it's doing between open, and harmoniced/fretted. Write down how much it's off by how much, and most definetely, which way.. (if the harmoniced/fretted it high, your string is too short, if it's low, your string is too long)

Adjust from bass to tremble strings. The fatter strings are stronger and therefore have more influence on the pressure on your neck. Work out the fat kinks first.

Adjust ONE STRING AT A TIME. Loosen that string until you can move it with your pinky at the bridge knife, ya so get crankin. And use the right screwdriver. A regular small flathead doesn't work, it's too fat. Make sure your srewdriver head is not too small either. Remember 12th fret high, lengthen; low, shorten.

Refer to your notes. If that string was bad out or just a little.

Turn the bridge screw clockwise to lengthen the string length (moving the bridge knife towards the back of the guitar).

Turn the bridge screw counter-clockwise to shorten the string length (moving the bridge knife towards the neck of the guitar).

RETUNE ENTIRE GUITAR PERFECTLY after each bridge adjustment.

Write done what each string is doing again. Then use your notes to...

REPEAT BRIDGE, REPEAT RETUNE, REPEAT ALL 6 STRINGS TWICE.

STEP 8

Have a damn good tuned guitar. Play well.

post-52788-007399400 1358847389_thumb.jpg

Archived