Gibson Brands Forums

more hum when coil splitting?

kronosmn

Hello All,

I'm a new Les Paul owner and forum member. I picked up a new Traditional Pro, and I notice a lot of hum, especially with high gain channels on my Marshall JVM410h. What surprises me most is that when I pull the knob to use just one coil, the noise doubles. Is this expected or do I likely have an electronics defect. FYI, when I plug in my '87 Charvel Model 4 with active pu's I get hardly any hum at all.

K

Hello and welcome!

Double-coil pickups cancel-out the hum bacause the coils wound with opposed polarity - hence they are called the "humbuckers". Single-coils are always noisy - so what You experience is absolutely normal.

Active pickups produce weak magnetic fields to reduce the possibility of picking up background noises (hums) and the build in amplifiers bring up the signal to a normal level. They won't produce any hum.

By the way: with too much gain all pickups will be noisy and will feedback.

Cheers... Bence

...active pickups...greatest invention ever....

Depends. It's advantage it's weakness also. Because of the small magnetic field around them, - which barely covers the strings - they do not pick up the resonance of the wood. Hence You can put them on a broomstick, it will sound the same as in an LP Custom: sterile. Note, that in applications where sound quality is an important factor, they are rarely seen. Mostly high-gain players prefer them.

Cheers... Bence

Depends. It's advantage it's weakness also. Because of the small magnetic field around them, - which barely covers the strings - they do not pick up the resonance of the wood. Hence You can put them on a broomstick, it will sound the same as in an LP Custom: sterile. Note, that in applications where sound quality is an important factor, they are rarely seen. Mostly high-gain players prefer them.

Cheers... Bence

works for me. all i know is passive pickups equal major hum at the highest volumes. active pickups, barely a whisper. that's sound quality i'm talking about....

I have a Strat with noiseless pickups, and they are a quite as active pickups without the hassle of a battery.

i also get the same 60 cycle hum when coil tapping my LP from dual to single,

that is why i use a noise gate when i play, also playing near your monitor will cause it to hum.

Archived