Gibson Brands Forums

There is nothing quite as beautiful as a Black Beauty

daveinspain

I remember picking one up and holding it in the 70's as a teen. I just remember thinking "I'm not worthy" or something like that as the saying probably hadn't been invented yet.

It was the pinnacle of guitars at that point for me. One of the guys working at the guitar shop at the time picked it up and played Waitin on the Bus by ZZ through a Marshall and I nearly passed out it was so perfect.

Still think they are very special.

I could not agree more Dave. One day I may have another but I doubt it.

I was very fortunate to own a black 69 custom back in the 80's. I paid $450 for it and it came with a crappy amp. Even back then I knew I had something special.

I owned it for about 6 years and then one day some scum bag p.o.s. stole it from me.

It was an early 69, no volute fretless wonder with a hard shiny ebony fretboard. I recall the volute specifically because a buddy of mine was so happy when he found a 72 custom

and when he showed it to me I wondered why it had this big bump out the back of the headstock. I thought it looked weird.. Little did I know at the time that would

later identify mine as an early 69... I learned that on Pawn Stars,, lol..... I loved that thing.

I had pictures but the only one I can seem to find of it is the one I have posted on my profile of me holding it.

Even back then, it was only about 12 yrs old, the finish was all cracked, the varnish on the binding was all yellowed, the gold was not not shiny and it weighed as much as a Volkswagen.

It looked old then,, but it was still a black beauty. And it sounded awesome.

Now it's just a lottery fantasy. The prices are so stupid now there is no way I will ever have another unless I win a lottery. I could never spend that kind of money on a guitar

unless I could afford to light reefers with 100 dollar bills,, and that ain't happening any time soon.

Quite true, a must own one day.

What year is the first pic?

Photo4_eec03.jpg

Photo3_ba264.jpg

I down loaded these pics from the web and I don't remember if they are of the same guitar or not but I think they are... Not sure of the year but in the pic that shows the front and back of the headstock you can see there is no dot on the i in the word Gibson and you can see those beautiful waffle back tuners. It's hard to tell in the photo but, it looks like there's no volute either... The other pic show the older style tunamatic bridge thats thinner and has the retaining wire, I would guess it's a 68 or 69...

The other pics from the OP are of my 2007 LP Custom.

Did you say, YOUR LPC?

Is this a NGD sir?

And is that black granite the guitar is resting on, with a chandalier in the reflection? These your's too?

You are very observent... Not a NGD the LP Custom in the other photo's is mine but I've had it 4 years already. It's actually a very late 2007 but came with the new style booklet COA instead of the big papper COA that they were doing up until 2007... And yes the photos were taken in my dinning room. The table top is black granite, that particular granite is called galaxy...

Love the black beauties, and sort of own one myself (Classic Custom), not a thoroughbred - but black nonetheless. But personally I like to see the wood grain on a guitar top and might consider the Honeyburst with the right figured grain better looking. Also a really nice look is the bookmatched figured maple in tangerine burst that they put on some early 336s. The black is refined and elegant though.

Archived