Gibson Brands Forums

There is nothing quite as beautiful as a Black Beauty

daveinspain

Not to drift too far, but the Rist will be a double cut Jr.

Old growth Honduran mahogany body (hand picked by me)

A figured bookmatched maple cap. lightly arched.

Mahogany neck.

Ebony fret board. dots.

Custom wound P-90 with a signal boost.

mmm tasty!

Not to drift too far, but the Rist will be a double cut Jr.

Old growth Honduran mahogany body (hand picked by me)

A figured bookmatched maple cap. lightly arched.

Mahogany neck.

Ebony fret board. dots.

Custom wound P-90 with a signal boost.

mmm tasty!

You fail to indicate the size of the neck tenon

rct

It would be great if Gibson released an R9 Custom Black Beauty...

Would there be much difference between an R9 B-B and the R7 currently offered?

I know the '59s are supposed to have marginally slimmer necks but there is also an R0 Custom available covering that option.

:-k

P.

Would there be much difference between an R9 B-B and the R7 currently offered?

I know the '59s are supposed to have marginally slimmer necks but there is also an R0 Custom available covering that option.

:-k

P.

I had a look on the Gibson web trying to find these guitars and don't see them anywhere... Are you talking about the 1957 LP Custom 2 Pickup VOS as being the R7 currently available? I don't see anything any where about an R0 Black Beauty..,

My dream reissue would be a 68 Fretless Wonder with waffle back tuners... Gibson are you listening? If you do one can I get a discount... :rolleyes:

I had a look on the Gibson web trying to find these guitars and don't see them anywhere... Are you talking about the 1957 LP Custom 2 Pickup VOS as being the R7 currently available? I don't see anything any where about an R0 Black Beauty..,

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1957-Les-Paul-Custom-2-PU-VOS.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1957-Les-Paul-Custom-3-PU-VOS.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/50th-Anniversary-1960-Les-Paul-Custom-Black-Beauty.aspx

[smile]

P.

I always felt that an LP 'Black Beauty' was defined by a '57 3 pickup black LP Custom. Like the one Peter Frampton is pictured with on Frampton Comes Aive.

pf76and11-wenn.jpg?w=500

Except, according to Gibson (products page for re-issue of Frampton's guitar):

"the instrument in Frampton's hands widely assumed to be an original 1960 model, but its origins, and its journey to the star's hands (and out of them once again), reveal some unusual twists and turns. During the first night of a three-night stand in 1970 opening for the Grateful Dead at the Fillmore West in San Francisco while still playing with Humble Pie, Frampton was having trouble with howling feedback from his semi-hollowbody guitar on the big stage. A fan named Mark Mariana approached him after his set on the second night, said he'd noticed the hassles the guitarist was having, and provided a solution: if he wanted to, Frampton could play Mariana's solidbody Les Paul Custom for the third night at the Fillmore. He delivered the instrument, which looked for all the world like a 1960 Custom, but was in fact a 1954 Custom freshly back from the Gibson factory, where it had been given a new coat of ebony black lacquer, new frets, and three humbucking pickups to update it to contemporary specs. Frampton bonded with the guitar instantly. It not only cured his feedback problems for the closing night of the run, it proved the most tuneful, expressive guitar Frampton had ever played. When he offered to buy it after the set, Mariana said that, no, he wouldn't sell it—he would give it to Frampton. And through that unprecedented act of generosity, a re-born 1954 Les Paul Custom became one of the most iconic guitars of the decade. "

That particular guitar has had one hell of a life - given the subsequent plane crash, the years in the jungle and the eventual return to PF, it seems fated to be in his hands,,,

Wierd.

Manse

Except, according to Gibson (products page for re-issue of Frampton's guitar):

"the instrument in Frampton's hands widely assumed to be an original 1960 model, but its origins, and its journey to the star's hands (and out of them once again), reveal some unusual twists and turns. During the first night of a three-night stand in 1970 opening for the Grateful Dead at the Fillmore West in San Francisco while still playing with Humble Pie, Frampton was having trouble with howling feedback from his semi-hollowbody guitar on the big stage. A fan named Mark Mariana approached him after his set on the second night, said he'd noticed the hassles the guitarist was having, and provided a solution: if he wanted to, Frampton could play Mariana's solidbody Les Paul Custom for the third night at the Fillmore. He delivered the instrument, which looked for all the world like a 1960 Custom, but was in fact a 1954 Custom freshly back from the Gibson factory, where it had been given a new coat of ebony black lacquer, new frets, and three humbucking pickups to update it to contemporary specs. Frampton bonded with the guitar instantly. It not only cured his feedback problems for the closing night of the run, it proved the most tuneful, expressive guitar Frampton had ever played. When he offered to buy it after the set, Mariana said that, no, he wouldn't sell it—he would give it to Frampton. And through that unprecedented act of generosity, a re-born 1954 Les Paul Custom became one of the most iconic guitars of the decade. "

That particular guitar has had one hell of a life - given the subsequent plane crash, the years in the jungle and the eventual return to PF, it seems fated to be in his hands,,,

Wierd.

Manse

Thanks for that great ecxerpt on Frampton's guitar. It's sort of like a Frankenstein.

The '57 Ebony Custom (Black Beauty)has three pickups. By 1960 it only had two pickups. Gibson is not always accurate as to their own history.

Archived