Gibson Brands Forums

Favourite SG moments on record ?

80LPC

What are your favourite albums or tracks that feature the SG ? Here are a few of mine that had me salivating back in the 1970s :

Mahogany Rush 'What's Next'. Frank Marino in great form, with a blend of hard rock, stinging blues and even a hint of jazz.

Tony Williams Lifetime 'Believe it'. Holdsworth shreds on Proto Cosmos. On other tracks his tone gets a bit muddied by too much phasing, but good nevertheless.

Soft Machine 'Bundles' Holdsworth's ideas just flow endlessly.

Leb i Sol 1978. Quirky Macedonian jazz/rock Some cheesy vocals, but Kokoska is a highlight.

Leb i Sol II Standout track 'Marija' - Awesome feedback.

Fermata, with their album Piesen Z Hol. For fans of the SG and jazz/rock/fusion, this is great from start to finish, with a Mclaughlin influence present in the big bends and long sustain.

Frank Zappa 'One size fits all'.

Agree with the 'Whole lotta Rosie' solo. Bought the album on the strength of it, but the rest was pretty feeble. I've seen Freebird played on both Explorer and Strat, but then again there seemed to be so many gutarists in the group, that one of them probably used an SG at some point !

1) The opening of "Highway to Hell" (still one of the most buttery, yet powerful and edgy tones ever)...sheesh, ANY Angus Young riff/lick/pick-scrape seems to sound like God himself to me so just go ahead and say Angus Young, PERIOD.

2) Buck Dharma on "Godzilla" by Blue Oyster Cult

3) Keith Richards on the "Sticky Fingers" album (which was recorded with an SG apparently, according to Jimmy Johnson...how he got an SG to sound like that...wow!)

There are others too, but those stick out as particularly tasty to moi.

H-Bomb

F@ck that hippy sh!t.

BLACK SABBATH.

AC/DC.

Hippy sh*t? That's pretty funny! I'd say Tommy pretty much influenced my first purchase - the SG Standard I still have. What great tone... of course, my first amp was a borrowed Princeton Reverb, and I was too green to figure out why I wasn't getting that Black Sabbath tone. But, I was able to capture some hippy sh*t with it!

And, thanks 80LPC for reminding me of that great album by Mahogany Rush 'What's Next'. Frank Marino was way beyond the times.

Archived