Gibson Brands Forums

The never ending useless gear rant.

dem00n

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought of an idea, but it's really stupid :(

Go for it - tell it what it is...

I was blown away when I saw Eddie Halen play the beginning of Poundcake during the OU812 tour. Do any of you know how he makes that cool sound with his guitar as the song starts? I'm sure there's probably video on youtube, but you're going to have to find out for yourself if you don't know [tongue] . It's pretty awesome.

Guitar and amp makers are sticking mostly to tried and true formulas for their products because musicians are almost universally satisfied with the current methods of guitar and amp building.Although every now and then someone develops a "revolutionary idea" but it always turns out to be a variation on an existing theme.I can't imagine anything that I'd like to see beyond the current way of building guitars and other musical gear.Just about the only things that they could change is the way some effects are synthesized and create new unheard effects but there is very little room "outside the box" as far as the guitar industry goes because there would most likely be no market for it unless it was an earth-shatteringly novel and completely new product and the possibility of something like that coming down the pike is probably very remote.

I tend to notice patterns in the way gear works, its all the same in tiny notches.

Whens the last time i heard a new amp that has a different sound? Makes a twist? A long damn *** time thats how long.

I understand people are going down the more convenient route now, more amps are coming out with tons of effects and even backing tracks with ways to record and hook up to your computer. But that's all boring and recycled.

The guitar industry needs a wake up call, we need something radical. Nothing recycled, something that sounds new, looks new and is just a whole new idea!

Am i the only one who sees this hole? I can not give it a identity, its just a hole staring at the NAMM conventions, gear reviews and numerous guitar magazine.

Oh look a new fuzz pedal based off the old fuzz pedal. Oh look a new Marshall that's supposed to sound like the old ones. Oh look a new Fender that's supposed to sound like the old Fenders.

Why has this circle? I understand it sells, but we need something new.

I just want a spark to start the fire, a new chain of ideas to make guitar more...modern? Interesting maybe? It doesn't have to be made by a big company either it just needs to have that...spice.

Like when the full stacks came out (Fender? Marshall?) , that changed the guitar world in a good way, no? Music got louder, heavier and expanded. It didn't kill little amps, it didn't kill Jazz guitarists. I want an effect like that, i want it to not just change guitar but to change music as a whole.

The guitar world is turning into niches.

Or am i the only crazy one?

i believe the 'electric' music industry is still young, less than a century old anyhow. i have a gripe with the arm ripping weight of electric equipment, and i'm not one to tote an acoustic and plug into the pa because it's easy. i like the authenticity of the real thing ... the tube amp. it is good. that's why equipment manufacturers brought it back! solid state is okay, but tubes are great! unfortunately power still equals weight. may there be a wonderful day when a 1000 watt amp weighs two pounds. lol

i haven't heard amp sims that feel, anyway, as 'real' as the actual tube amp, like muscle. actually i have but there's a fork in that road, which way i choose to go. i like the tube amp. the latest iphone app just doesn't compare. the advances in technology in the last decade are unreal. better, cheaper ... i wonder why tube amps aren't obsoleted, like the eighties and nineties wanted us to believe with the popularity of solid state. everybody just plugs in to the wifi. i dread what happened to 'good ole' rock n' roll' in the eighties with the drum machines and the synthesizers. nobody really needs real musicians anymore! i still don't understand midi, what it does, how to use it?

it can be overwhelming trying to navigate the field of effects for guitar alone, what do i like, what do i need, what is good, what is going to be a waste of money. i like the simple maxim of KISS (keep it simple stupid) hahahaa

electric guitar equipment has become a love/hate relationship. it's expensive and weighty, but the sounds are cool. really, it's hard not to get sucked in. the guitar amplifier in my household is nothing more than an appliance, it plugs into the wall and sucks power. that sort of thinking keeps me grounded enough to be able to walk away from it, to walk away from the frustration of not getting the sound i want from it. when it becomes that touchy i know it's time to put it down. grow with the guitar, mature and treat the equipment with respect. it's just a box that has to be moved to and from a gig. the magic is in the player.

It was a failed attempt because it didn't sell. Shred nailed it, the market is not looking for new ideas.

oh yeah there was/is a big rut in electric guitar design ... every other manufaturer has the strat or lp knock off. i guess it's endless consumer crap.

Leo Fender.

An inventor's priority isn't money making. They may make money off their inventions, demand money for them, but it takes special talent to invent things...an inventor may also become a businessman, but if your priority is making money you probably aren't wired to create cool stuff.

When you think about it the greatest players that changed the lexicon used existing techology.

Let's say:

Chuck Berry in the '50's

Jimi in the '60's

Van Halen in the late '70's

They all used generic gear but had the vision to change the way you think of what the guitar can do. It was the player not the gear that created a revoution.

I can't imagine anything that I'd like to see beyond the current way of building guitars and other musical gear.

like I said, conservative [wink]

it's not like there hasn't been any innovation.

Let's take Gibson for example(again)... remember the self-tuning robot guitars?

Got shot down pretty quick...and I think most of us(including me) wouldn't

know dyed baked maple fretboards if we didn't read the spec sheet first [flapper]

Rainsong acoustic guitars broke the mold with all carbon guitars......many players said they sounded "sterile & piano like" and they cost as much as a good old Gibson spruce/maho acoustic.

sometimes breaking the mold only results in having to pick up the shards and try again.......

guitarists are VERY CONSERVATIVE!

people only seem to strive for, like you said, old sound.

so yes, there's a PLETHORA of pedals, pickups and whatnots that supposed to duplicate those old products.

but it's not good enough, because it's not old.

hell, we're on a Gibson board and how many of Gibsons products are replicas and reissues vs. breaking new ground?

I would say that guitar players are conservative following for conservative manufacturers that made a lot of repetitive things. Taking into account emergence of powerful home computer any music making, in part, guitar record, should be simplified, not complicated. Also some of the old traditional gear can be inconvenient at home.

I think it just is what it is. Do we need another wheel? Guitars are pretty simplistic instruments. The truth of it seems to be that when some new innovation does come out, as a group, we're slow to embrace it for one reason (or many).

Take Amp Modeling for example. The early ones just didn't do it for a vast majority of players. As the technology evolved, many still had the first impressions in the back of their minds so as the industry has improved these products, most of us wont even bother to try one, we soured on the early ones. There are countless threads in this forum where these amps are discussed, most people just say "Just go buy a tube amp"

Then there's the line 6 Variax, any one own one? Swear by it? Not seeing a lot of posts here to go along with that.

The latest "thing" is auto tune guitars.. Personally for me, I'm not interested in even looking into one.

Where can you take some thing that's already about as "developed" as it needs to be?

Vigier did something pretty cool with Fretless guitars: Brass alloy fretboards. Their Excalibur series has them. They call it "I-Metal" but it's Really just a brass alloy. But it's still really cool. I've thought of experimenting with fretless guitars. Think of what you could do with no frets limiting you?

E3T5GQM.jpg

-Ryan

I've been playing a Carvin fretless bass for quite a few years, depending on amp settings and playing style, it can sound like an upright or jazz, rock, funk etc. Love sliding up and down the flatwound strings. Possibilities on a six string are kinda mind boggling. Imagine it would play real smooth, might have to check into one.

TC

Vigier did something pretty cool with Fretless guitars: Brass alloy fretboards. Their Excalibur series has them. They call it "I-Metal" but it's Really just a brass alloy. But it's still really cool. I've thought of experimenting with fretless guitars. Think of what you could do with no frets limiting you?

E3T5GQM.jpg

-Ryan

Hmmm... What do I think I could do with no frets limiting me... Well, I imagine I'd be way out of tune 99% of the time [unsure]

-Ryan

Have never seen one or heard of them before.

Very cool. Would love to give it a go.

Hmmm... What do I think I could do with no frets limiting me... Well, I imagine I'd be way out of tune 99% of the time [unsure]

I thought the same thing when I stared playing my fretless bass, but was really suprised at how quickly the fingers hit the right spot. {also, there are dots on the side of the neck [thumbup] }

TC

I knew someone would post that, but that's a failed attempt (out of thousands!) at changing the guitar.

And there is your answer. Because they fail.

My '83 Elite Strat was supposed to be the "HOLY GRAIL" of cutting edge guitar technology.... it failed.

Do a little research on all the "new and innovative" music products that have fallen flat.

For some weird reason, companies just don't keep making things that have no monetary return. Go figure.

And there is your answer. Because they fail.

My '83 Elite Strat was supposed to be the "HOLY GRAIL" of cutting edge guitar technology.... it failed.

It did, I remember. I was already deep in depression over the loss of the 3 way switch, the Elite was almost too much to take. I figured the strat as we knew it was done for. I drank alot to dull the pain.

I still only use 3 way switches and two pickups in my strats. Leo wanted 4 pickups in it, holy CRAP that woulda sucked!

rct

Archived