Gibson Brands Forums

Swapping out the tuners on my R0

davidl

I love my R0 but tuning can be a pain in the butt. Zeroing in is always a back and forth excersize. (the nut is lubed). I know the tuning keys are period correct but that doesn't mean they are the greatest.

Any suggestions for replacement without redrilling?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dave

Yup, nut change. I replaced all mine with nylon. If you go that route, PM me and I can suggest a place to get one. Actually, I may have a few extras laying around.

Hey buddy! Glad to see you still living at these forums, R9! It's been wearing on me for months and I REALLY want a 1960 Reissue in gloss....But I hate guitars that are a ***** to keep in tune, even with my Peterson StroboRack tuner (which is accurate to 1/1000th of a half-step). So how bad is it? It can't be as bad as my 1965 Reissue Gibson Firebird VII with Maestro Vibrato!! LOL!! I would just like to know before I bomb $5,000+. I know most LPs have tuning issues of some kind.

Yup, nut change. I replaced all mine with nylon. If you go that route, PM me and I can suggest a place to get one. Actually, I may have a few extras laying around.

I think your box may be full.

Very kind of you Tim. If you can put me in the right direction for the new nut, it would be appreciated. You've passed along info on the pots replacement before. Can you pass that along as well? I think its really time to make this guitar my own. It doesn't get played as much as it should right now and it should be my number one. I have even been thinking about selling it and getting a standard or Trad but I know there would be major sellers remorse.

Thanks again.

Dave

^ no, don't do that, that's downgrading. [lol]

Besides, USA Les Pauls have the same nut your R0 has - corian. (Pretty sure your R0 is a 2008 or older)

So how bad is it? It can't be as bad as my 1965 Reissue Gibson Firebird VII with Maestro Vibrato!! LOL!! I would just like to know before I bomb $5,000+. I know most LPs have tuning issues of some kind.

Nothing is as bad as a Maestro. [lol]

My SG has a Maestro and it stays in tune just fine now that I have replaced the nut and bridge but it wouldn't before I made the changes.

Historic Les Pauls since 2009 come with nylon nuts from the factory. Much better than corian. They keep tune and do not need any TLC.

^ no, don't do that, that's downgrading. [lol]

Besides, USA Les Pauls have the same nut your R0 has - corian. (Pretty sure your R0 is a 2008 or older)

Nothing is as bad as a Maestro. [lol]

My SG has a Maestro and it stays in tune just fine now that I have replaced the nut and bridge but it wouldn't before I made the changes.

Historic Les Pauls since 2009 come with nylon nuts from the factory. Much better than corian. They keep tune and do not need any TLC.

Right you are. 2008

Archived