Gibson Brands Forums

DPA 4099 external microphone??

strat71

• 5 years later...

This is the only contribution concerning the dpa 4099 clip microphone in the forum. As it is already 5 years old now I would like to ask if anyone has made any experiences with the dpa 4099 series on acoustic guitars since then?

- How is the handling?

- Does the mounting device damage the guitar surface?

- How does it sound?

- How does it work in the environment of a not too loud band? Feedback problems?

The Price is quite high (about 480 € street price) but a good condenser mic can even cost more money with the restiction of variable distance between guitar and microphone.

Thank you all for your answers!

I remember seeing this one a year or so back and thinking it might work well for live applications. With correct placement it should deliver a very accurate representation of whatever guitar it is attached to........hard to beat a condenser mic for acoustic tone. I see two potential issues though: feedback and phantom power availability. For a solo or duo acoustic situation it appears it would be a good choice. Low to medium volume and a well controlled amplification system shouldn't be a problem for an open condenser mic on stage. However, we all know how an amplified electric bass can drive an acoustic body into howling feedback and I would not expect this mic to function well in such an environment. Perhaps at low volumes said bass on stage would not be a problem, but with variations in venues that a working player encounters it might not be a system to rely on given various environments.

Secondly, unless the solo player provides his/her own amplification system at every performance, the availability of phantom power could be an issue. This would be a concern for someone like myself, visiting various open mic stages and relying on whatever system the house or host provides, which may or may not provide phantom power. There are small, portable PP devices available that would necessarily have to be part of the gear bag for a player using this kind of microphone.

All that said, I still may buy one to try out as I am a gadget head from way back. [rolleyes]

Buc,

Thank you for your reply. You have mentioned two important things. I had the feedback issue in my mind, but not the phantom power which is true. Yes, it can be a problem at sessions. As I am mostly the poor guy schlepping the PA and mixer this would be under my control, but entering an open mic stage can be difficult.

I am wondering if the mounting System of the 4099 mic is comfortable enough to play the guitar as usual or if the mic has to be permanently re-adjusted during playing. Of course I will share my experience if I buy such a mic, but I am not sure if I will invest the money. The 4099 series is hard to find for testing even in big internet stores (e.g. thomann in Germany, they have a huge "real" store, too).

I almost bought this a month or so ago. I still might. The thing that made me nervous was that it was hard to find anyone posting a sample of it being used for a moderate to heavy strumming number. Some of the onboard mic-based pickups can get overloaded too quickly.

I do like the frequency chart on this. Mostly flat with a slight curve down around 2kHz, which can help keep harsh mids in check. Looks like the voicing can be "adjusted" just by a minor mic angle adjustment. (as much as can be steered by changing the low to low-mids, anyhow.)

There are two versions. The newer one released earlier this year had a distinct advantage over the old, though I've since lost my notes. Maybe a lower noise floor?

I hope you report back if you get one.

Archived