Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD: Gibson SG 61 Reissue Satin Worn Cherry

Seizure

Got myself my first Gibson SG standard thanks to the awesome deal "Johnnytuinals" posted in the other thread. $631 shipped for a Gibson SG 61 Reissue in Satin Worn Cherry from M123

Serial number look up shows

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

January 11st, 2012

Production Number: 187

So most likely I have a maple fretboard which I don't mind. I think it sounds brighter and cleaner. The guitar finish is flawless. I don't see any blemishes, and that smell, it smells like Vanilla. I'm not sure why it smells that way but it's definitely from the hard case it came in it and it probably transferred over to the guitar since it's been sitting inside it for a year. It's kind of intoxicating.

As you know from my other thread I also happened to pick up an new Epiphone G-400pro which at the time sounded really great compared to my old Epi SG Special but hot damn, this new Gibson really sounds better. The Clean sounds might brighter and the Rhythm is more warm and less muddy. The sound just comes through much clearer and unbelievable sustain. Now I see the big "Gibson" difference. Only thing is it's got big time heavy Neck Dive from the larger head stock. If I'm standing up and I let go of the neck, it quickly heads downward fast.

2hg9rgx.jpg

21j8y86.jpg

15gqp05.jpg

6gas95.jpg

2mdl2fn.jpg

2roq6th.jpg

j8dysy.jpg

65z5hu.jpg

Got myself my first Gibson SG standard thanks to the awesome deal "Johnnytuinals" posted in the other thread. $631 shipped for a Gibson SG 61 Reissue in Satin Worn Cherry from M123

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

January 11st, 2012

So most likely I have a maple fretboard which I don't mind. I think it sounds brighter and cleaner. The guitar finish is flawless. I don't see any blemishes, and that smell, it smells like Vanilla. I'm not sure why it smells that way but it's definitely from the hard case it came in it and it probably transferred over to the guitar since it's been sitting inside it for a year. It's kind of intoxicating.

As you know from my other thread I also happened to pick up an new Epiphone G-400pro which at the time sounded really great compared to my old Epi SG Special but hot damn, this new Gibson really sounds better. The Clean sounds might brighter and the Rhythm is more warm and less muddy. The sound just comes through much clearer and unbelievable sustain. Now I see the big "Gibson" difference. So looks like i'm returning my Epiphone G-400Pro and keeping the gibson.

2hg9rgx.jpg

21j8y86.jpg

15gqp05.jpg

6gas95.jpg

2mdl2fn.jpg

2roq6th.jpg

j8dysy.jpg

65z5hu.jpg

Btw there is a lot of fret buzzin on the Low E string and A strings near the 2nd frets. Is that a warranty issue or more of a "i need to get it professional setup"

Congrats.

Mine (ebony, but same deal) is arriving in a few hours... I'll leave it in the box until tomorrow morning as it is quite cold here in the North East.

About the buzzing, if you haven't yet done so, I would first make sure the guitar is properly set up (neck relief/action).

BTW, I can't see your pictures.

I also agree you got a very good deal lol

Many and many on other sites said that Music123 will never give you the 123% discount,I guess they have no clue at all.If you are having any problems music123 will ship you a return label by email and you can get another SG61.

Only thing I had too do with my SG61 was tune the strings only.

I find it a Nice Light guitar but will take me awhile to really get into playing it since I also bought a

2012 Gibson Deluxe Les Paul Gold top and a 2012 NON Faded Flying V and a 2012 American standard strat along

with Two American standard Telecastres all within the past few months

And the only reason I bought the SG61 was because of the price lol...Good luck all...JT

post-51995-006687200 1359140093_thumb.jpg

post-51995-000169300 1359140253_thumb.jpg

post-51995-099989300 1359140271_thumb.jpg

Congrats.

Mine (ebony, but same deal) is arriving in a few hours... I'll leave it in the box until tomorrow morning as it is quite cold here in the North East.

About the buzzing, if you haven't yet done so, I would first make sure the guitar is properly set up (neck relief/action).

BTW, I can't see your pictures.

Thanks I'll look into how to setup the neck relief/action.

Also I'm able to see the photos, i tried two different browsers and an iphone, it looks to be okay.

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

January 11st, 2012

As you know from my other thread I also happened to pick up an new Epiphone G-400pro which at the time sounded really great compared to my old Epi SG Special but hot damn, this new Gibson really sounds better. The Clean sounds might brighter and the Rhythm is more warm and less muddy. The sound just comes through much clearer and unbelievable sustain. Now I see the big "Gibson" difference. Only thing is it's got big time heavy Neck Dive from the larger head stock. If I'm standing up and I let go of the neck, it quickly heads downward fast.

I picked one up also, but from MF and in Satin Ebony mine has the serial number of the same day but #429. I stripped her down and pulled the pickups, the neck has a tag that says wound 1/23/2012 and the bridge says 1/30/2012, the check list says 1/30/2012. So I guess the neck was stamped on the 11th and the guitar wasn't finished till the 30th. Any way she is a great guitar with no issues and play great. Enjoy.

PS no truss rod tool [thumbdn][thumbdn]

Thanks I'll look into how to setup the neck relief/action.

The setup specs (im pretty sure les pauls and sgs are set up the same) from a google search:

"To check neck relief: fret the low E at the first and 15th fret (not 12th) reach to the 7th fret and tap string. There should be a small space between string and fret - no thicker than a piece of paper. Do the same with the high E.

ACTION: fret low E at first fret and measure the distance from the bottom of the to the top of the 15th fret. It should be 5/64". Do the same with the high E, measurement should be 3/64". Now measure the string height at the nut; underside of the string to the top of the fret. Low E and A should measure 2/64", D and G =1.5/64" and B and high E = 1/64". If string height at nut is correct, recheck string height at 12th fret with strings open. Measurement for low and high E's should be the same as measurement taken at the 15th.

Pickups: Fret low E at 22nd fret and measure pickup height from underside of string to point on pickup closest to string. Bridge pickup should be 3/64", neck pickup should be 4/32". Fret high E at 22nd fret, distance for both pickups should be 3/32".

Play test: Play every string at every fret checking for buzzes. Bend High E string 1 and 1/2 steps, beginning at the sixth fret and ending at 22nd, checking for "choking" and to make sure string stays in nut notch."

Btw there is a lot of fret buzzin on the Low E string and A strings near the 2nd frets. Is that a warranty issue or more of a "i need to get it professional setup"

I just opened up mine after it got acclimated for 8 hours. Very nice guitar.

I also had some excessive buzz on the E and A strings. Turns out he neck had almost no relief. The last time this guitar saw the light of day was 11 months ago, so I'm not surprised it needed a slight tweak. I'm shocked that Gibson does not provide you with a truss rod wrench. Amazing... anyway, you'll need a 5/16 socket.

I backed off the truss rod 1/4 turn and that took care of the excessive buzz. I left the relief at around .006 at the 7th fret. I then lowered the bridge's treble side a bit, as it a was a wee too high and finally intonated the guitar.

The guitar is very resonant, and noticed that my neck humbucker is a bit loose and vibrates on certain notes. I read this is normal?

EDIT: The neck humbucker stopped vibrating after I lowered a bit, It was way too high.

Mine doesn't neck dive either, although I have other guitars that do.

Sure fire way to stop that is to NOT use a nylon strap. Use a leather strap with the suede under-side. The suede grips your shirt enough that the guitar will sit steadily. :-)

My 61 RI shipped with everything in the case compartment. All the case candy stuff: warrany cards, allen wrench etc.

And it DOES smell like vanillia! I thought the same thing! LOL

Mine doesn't neck dive either, although I have other guitars that do.

Sure fire way to stop that is to NOT use a nylon strap. Use a leather strap with the suede under-side. The suede grips your shirt enough that the guitar will sit steadily. :-)

My 61 RI shipped with everything in the case compartment. All the case candy stuff: warrany cards, allen wrench etc.

And it DOES smell like vanillia! I thought the same thing! LOL

yeah i'm using a nylon strap. I'm just googling for a good leather strap. any recommendation? Levy's?

My case didn't come with the allen wrench. Kind of annoying. Btw, does your Low E and A buzz near the top frets? I had my guitar setup by a pro i trust and he couldn't get rid of the buzz. We are thinking about raising the action a bit to see if we can eliminate it some more. He basically setup the action to "gibson" recommendations.

yeah i'm using a nylon strap. I'm just googling for a good leather strap. any recommendation? Levy's?

My case didn't come with the allen wrench. Kind of annoying. Btw, does your Low E and A buzz near the top frets? I had my guitar setup by a pro i trust and he couldn't get rid of the buzz. We are thinking about raising the action a bit to see if we can eliminate it some more. He basically setup the action to "gibson" recommendations.

Yeah Levy's straps aren't bad...that should do ya. :-) Any kind of leather strap that has the suede underneath will work fine.

Mine doesn't buzz on the lower frets, but it sounds like to me it either needs a smidge of releif in the neck or a light fret dressing. Don't let the tech set it up to "Gibson specs", a good tech will set it up the way YOU like it, not just factory recommendations. That's just a ballpark. Raising the action isn't the way to solve the problem...that's the sign of a tech who doesn't know how to fix the problem. [tongue] If adding a hair of releif doesn't solve it (which it probably will) then you may need a slight fret dressing. But I'd try the relief first. [thumbup]

there are two issues possible

one - the nut slot for the E string is too deep

two - as said, not enough relief, but this should cause fret buz on all strings, and most of the time, on the first two frets or so.

Where it's just the E, I would suspect the nut.

When I first got my SG Classic, the D string would just buzz out on an open note. obvious fix was to address the nut issues, once that was done, she rawked.

• 2 months later...

Well it's been about 3 months since I've had this guitar. I've actually went ahead and lowered the action a bit more. While the fret buzz still occurs I noticed it never comes through the AMP. I can only hear the buzz when I play the guitar acoustically without it plugged into an amp. So because it never comes through to the amp I guess it's really not considered true frett buzzing right? With the amp volume at "3" I can't even hear the buzzing acoustically anymore so I guess it's not an issue for me.

I also got a suede Levy strap. No more neck dive. this guitar has been pretty Solid Guitar (zing!) for me and it's my #1 now.

Satin '61's are truly excellent SG's! I play mine, everyday. [thumbup]

The rest of my guitars are jealous! [flapper] LOL

I've read on here, and other threads, on the forum, about "neck dive!"

Neither of my SG's have that. They're nicely balanced, overall. Maybe

I've just been "lucky," that way? The only SG I've ever played that

had obvious neck dive, was one of the faded "Specials," with a neck

like a baseball bat! Fat and round! But, as most have mentioned, a

good strap takes care of that "dive," anyway.

Cheers,

CB

Satin '61's are truly excellent SG's! I play mine, everyday. [thumbup]

The rest of my guitars are jealous! [flapper] LOL

I've read on here, and other threads, on the forum, about "neck dive!"

Neither of my SG's have that. They're nicely balanced, overall. Maybe

I've just been "lucky," that way? The only SG I've ever played that

had obvious neck dive, was one of the faded "Specials," with a neck

like a baseball bat! Fat and round! But, as most have mentioned, a

good strap takes care of that "dive," anyway.

Cheers,

CB

I have a faded special. I also have a thick leather suede strap and no neck dive issues whatsoever.

Congratulations!!! [thumbup]

Awesome pair of SG's! If they have the torrefied maple fret board you'll like it if you like a dense smooth fret board like ebony. I've got it on my LP Classic Custom and I love it! Both guitars look top notch! A nice leather strap will likely stop the neck dive.

Enjoy that excellent pair!!!

Took my SG61 RI Satin out before

Its not getting a lot of play time

But I enjoy playing the SG61 while I relearn some old songs.

But We all did very well getting something with a hardshell case for

a very good and fair price,I would do it again.........JT

We definitely did. Now if we can only pull of another 50-60% off deal like that for a Les Paul I be one happy camper.....

Archived