Gibson Brands Forums

2013 SG Original - THE Definitive SG "Reissue" (GREAT JOB, GIBSON!!!)

hbomb76

OK, so I admit to having been an on- and off-presence/annoyance here, clamoring for Gibson to offer either a '61 Reissue USA/non-Historic model with a Maestro again, or to fix the horn-tapering on the so-called "Historic" SG's. I jumped on the opportunity to pick up the new 2013 SG "Original" when I saw it online (albeit from my favorite dealer and not the big-box store where I found it first), and let me just say that I have NEVER been happier with a "modern" or "new" Gibson!!!

601271_10200283249385923_1859346059_n.jpg

537339_10200283248905911_2010552437_n.jpg

The only gripes one could possibly make (but I honestly don't see as a negative thing) would be the Nashville bridge instead of the "traditional" ABR, and the modern-style bolt-bushing tuners instead of press-in bushing versions...other than that it's so ridiculously close to an "original" it's almost unbelievable. As a note, the REAL TonePros Klusons are actually great, and I had already put an identical set on my Historic one-off SG Standard, so I know how good they are. They still look "original enough", and functionally is superior, so they, like the bridge, are a sensible, practical upgrade. Now, let's get to the amazing improvements and features of this beast!

First thing, the color. FINALLY "Heritage Cherry" is RED again. It's a great balance between "as new" true Cherry circa the early 60's, and a slightly darker REALISTICALLY "aged" (NOT "faded") cherry. To top it off, the finish is MUCH better applied than many of the SG's I have seen come out of Big "G" in recent years, and as long as they didn't skimp on the filler, it won't sink into the grain and look bad in a few years. After years of awful-looking Heritage Cherry that was either brownish or orangey (and even with the Historic, I had to CUSTOM ORDER one to get it in REAL "Cherry" because all they offered was the unauthentically-"faded"/washed-out cherry), I am elated to have a CHERRY RED SG available again without having to pay a hefty premium.

230650_10200283248025889_1689667446_n.jpg

45566_10200322909857410_1989478994_n.jpg

Next up, the beveling. 2012 saw a return to the 1999-2003 style deeper beveling, albeit a little differently-placed. But deep, well-balanced and sooooooooo 60's. 'Nuff said. Lines the pickguard edge almost perfectly, and has a great aesthetic appeal to it. Yeah, they could've used the "Historic" style beveling and made it just a wee bit more sexy (coupled with the freakin' MAGNIFICENT new tapered horn tips on this one, it would be INDISTINGUISHABLE from the "real deal"...but I expect they'll improve the Historics accordingly), but she is glorious as-is, and frankly, I'm stoked.

166558_10200283249345922_948925477_n.jpg

Now, the PERFECT tapered horn-tips! Face it, till '99, the horn tips were full-body-thickness (or close to it) and honestly, it looked halfhearted (and looked more like a cheap knockoff than most "cheap knockoffs). Slabby. Too "edgy" and not sleek enough. Then they tapered the horn tips, and all was nice, aside from diminishing beveling. Why they went a STEP BACK (but not "FAR ENOUGH BACK", if you get my meaning) on the "Historic" and neglected to use those '61 Reissue style tapered horns on them is still a mystery to me to this day. When I laid my eyes on the horns of my "Original", my jaw dropped. Literally. Almost deadnuts PERFECT 60's style tapered horns. Even makes the best '61 Reissues from '99-'03 look kind of cheesy now. If not for an ever-so-slight front-view silhouette variation of the cutaways, this guitar makes you actually make a double-take. It's THAT authentic. I cannot say that about a single "Historic" I've ever seen (including mine, which actually DOES have better features/sculpting than an off-the-shelf one, but I can still tell from 10 yards away it's not a vintage piece). This thing, in almost every way, is MORE "Historically Accurate" than the lauded "Historic" Custom Shop models, and for much, much less money. In fact, I'm considering parting ways with my Custom one-off (still has plastic on the 'guard, never been played more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time) and replacing it with another "Original". Seriously.

385267_10200283248785908_509874139_n.jpg

537425_10200283247985888_607771799_n.jpg

419770_10200322909817409_828827474_n.jpg

734452_10200283248825909_1936791875_n.jpg

So, Gibson, from one of your biggest, most irritating SG experts/fans out there, you get 5 stars on this one! Even the QC is evidently back up to the Gibson I remember, and this is almost EXACTLY the SG I personally have been hoping you guys would produce since...well...EVER! It rivals my '65 Standard, and that's saying something!!! I recommend for ANYONE out there who is a fan of the original first 5 or 6 years of SG's to grab one of these. This represents attributes of the "best of the best", and if not for the "2013 Model" or "Made in USA" stamps on the headstock, even a seasoned Gibson collector/player would have to give this a second look to "make sure it's a reissue". I am now not only a Gibson customer again, but this is the gem of my collection and I'm extremely PROUD once again. Thanks for a KILLER job, guys!

H

(PS: notice my old signature below...yup...you all WERE paying attention somewhat, weren't ya'???)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey "H-Bomb," I picked mine up, from E.M. Shorts, this PM.

It's everything you described, and plays and sounds like

I expected...exactly like my "Satin" '61...which is AWESOME!!! [biggrin][thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Will get photos, on here, as soon as I can get new batteries, for the flash.

Discovered, when I got home, that not only were they dead, but had corroded

the inside of my flash unit, so I have to clean it up, good, before I can even

put in "new" batteries! [crying] Hate it, when that happens!!![cursing]

I (normally) don't even use "batteries," but a re-chargeable power-pack!

Now, I remember WHY!

Anyway, photos to follow...tomorrow, hopefully.

CB

Hey "H-Bomb," I picked mine up, from E.M. Shorts, this PM.

It's everything you described, and plays and sounds like

I expected...exactly like my "Satin" '61...which is AWESOME!!! [biggrin][thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Will get photos, on here, as soon as I can get new batteries, for the flash.

Discovered, when I got home, that not only were they dead, but had corroded

the inside of my flash unit, so I have to clean it up, good, before I can even

put in "new" batteries! [crying] Hate it, when that happens!!![cursing]

I (normally) don't even use "batteries," but a re-chargeable power-pack!

Now, I remember WHY!

Anyway, photos to follow...tomorrow, hopefully.

CB

Awesome, CB! Glad you got her "sister". What magnificent beasts these are, eh? Lookin' forward to seeing some shots of yours. The best SG I think Gibson's made since...well...the REAL "originals". :)

I've got to where I use Lithium rechargeables in my camera (when I actually bother to use it instead of the inferior-yet-oh-so-convenient cell phone), for that very same reason. An old toothbrush is great for corrosion removal. Still sucks though, you have my empathy.

H

I never thought I'd see the day . . . Hbomb a proud and happy owner of a new Gibson SG.

All the rants and campaigning for "the perfect SG reissue" have finally paid off.

It's great to see. Congrats on your new real SG. . B)

@CB - I see the irresistible beauty of the Original SG got you too. .Congrats.

OK...as promised, (Finally) the photos of my new 61 "Original," purchased last Friday PM.

DSC_0764.jpg

DSC_0768.jpg

DSC_0766.jpg

DSC_0775.jpg

DSC_0770.jpg

DSC_0773-1.jpg

DSC_0769.jpg

(I added the "Les Paul" TRC...because, as most of you already know...'61's WERE "Les Paul's" at that time.) [biggrin]

Here's a shot, with Both of my newly acquired SG's...after a 40+ year "drought!" [wink]

Top, "Satin" '61 Reissue, and Bottom, the "Original." I truly LOVE them BOTH!

DSC_0779.jpg

CB

Absolutely beautiful guitars, aren't they? Charlie Brown, I really love the dark fingerboard on yours. Mine has a streaky light/dark board. Every time I see pictures in this thread, I think "wow, that's a perfect SG" ....and then I smile because I remember I own one [biggrin]

Any tips on how to keep the arm from getting loose all the time? I took the suggestion of a forum member and put some lube on there, and it worked for a while but now it gets loose again.

Absolutely beautiful guitars, aren't they? Charlie Brown, I really love the dark fingerboard on yours. Mine has a streaky light/dark board. Every time I see pictures in this thread, I think "wow, that's a perfect SG" ....and then I smile because I remember I own one [biggrin]

Any tips on how to keep the arm from getting loose all the time? I took the suggestion of a forum member and put some lube on there, and it worked for a while but now it gets loose again.

Yeah, the fingerboard on mine is So dark, I had to (jokingly) ask my dealer if Gibson was using ebony, on these models? [biggrin]

It IS rosewood, but sure looks like (though it doesn't feel like) ebony. I don't have any advice, for keeping the Maestro arm,

tight, unfortunately. I love the look, but I rarely use it. And, I don't remember my old '68 SG's Maestro handle being nearly

as high/angled, as these. There was never a problem, swinging it out of the way, like there is on these...or, at least on

mine. Not being a "dive bomber" type vibrato, I'm not sure why they're up there, so high. So, I tend to swing it, out of the

way (backwards), over the tailpiece...which looks "odd," but...is sufficiently out of the way.

CB

Charlie, you sure are a photographer aren't you? Your photos make ours look shameful! Beautiful grain on yours! I'm waiting for the right chance to pick up a "Les Paul" TRC. I understand the novelty factor involved, but $39 is a bit much for me to justify buying a TRC. Maybe one day when I'm more impulsive. Another odd thing I noticed is that everyone's pickup selector knob is white, which I assume is "historically correct", while mine is black. Not a big deal at all but it was surprising!

DurtyDevil, I actually picked up some good advice from everythingsg.com. Alex suggested blue Loctite (thread sealer/glue) to secure the bolt but still allowing the arm to swivel. I reluctantly tried it out using blue Permatex and lo and behold, it works!! I'm actually quite pleased with how well that worked. It keeps the arm in tight and so there's less movement when using it allowing my guitar to return to pitch more often than not. I'm also happy to say that the guitar is more broken in and staying in tune a lot better.

• 3 weeks later...

FINALLY getting around to getting back on here (work, gigs, yadda-yadda)...

Great photos, Charlie. You can definitely tell you're using a real camera and I'm just using my cell phone...lol One thing I am impressed by (and I know it's a little detail) is that while all my previous 'reissues' with Maestros had Phillips-head bolts holding the arm on, this one has a period-correct slotted head. Now, I HATE slotted heads because they usually lead to a nasty gash in the finish at some point, but "historically" it's a keen little nod.

BigKahune: I know, right? But seriously, they knocked this one outta' the park. I'm telling you, if they tapered the horns on the "Historic" models accurately like this, and offered this kind of red finish, they'd have it down pat. :)

Sellen: Yup, I've been saying for almost a decade now that these little tweaks can take a "good" guitar and make it just about perfect. It's nice to get to see it come to pass, and hold this beast in my hands! Give in to the G.A.S. You won't regret it with this one.

Bender: Better than my Mach 3!

CoreyT: Amen to that!

Durty: one thing you can do on the trem arm is (and this is assuming it has the nut on the bottom like the rest, I haven't taken mine apart yet) is like hi13ts said: take a little bit of that LocTite Threadlocker (the blue light/medium duty stuff, NOT the red heavy-duty stuff or it'll never come off...lol) and put a drop onto a Q-tip. Then just lightly add a thin coat of it to the end threads of the bolt and tighten the nut up to taste. Let it dry thoroughly, and you should be good for a long, long time (and one tube will last you YEARS). I ABUSE my Epiphone "1965" SG (one of those limited run deals with the Maestro), and it'll last me 4 to 6 months---and that's with pseudo-divebombing and all sortsa' craziness that people claim you can't do on a Maestro. Ha! :)

Rowdy: I kid you not, and CB can back me up here, but these are EVERY BIT as up to snuff (believe it or not) as my Historic/Custom Shop one-off. The fret-work, the binding, the finish...all exceeds my expectations for a "Gibson USA" instrument, and frankly, makes some of the Custom Shop stuff I've seen as of late look kinda' lame. It struck me before I even pulled it outta' the case how dang awesome a job they did on this one.

I'm debating taking mine to a studio session next Friday to crank through my JTM-30 (2x10"), but I may save it for when "my" band goes to redo some stuff instead, and christen her propa'! I A/B'd my '65 Standard, my Custom Shop "Historic" and this one, and I am amazed at how close they all sound tone-wise. It's a nice feeling when something sounds as killer as it looks. I'm stoked. :)

H

• 1 month later...

So the Sg original came to my local store. It did't have the bevels i have seen here or on net. It looked just like my 2007 Sg Ri but with maestro and a brighter red color and a bit rougher rosewood. Had been looking forward to see it in my store, but this was not what i was hoping for. Hope i find a nicer one further down the road

Back to bevel bellyaching, they just can't seem to get it right. ...

You apparently don't know what's being admired - the deeper bevels, and the "bottom" bevel, making the horns taper to a finer/sharper point (what's been missing all these years, including on your "68" pic). The earlier SGs had that - like on the 1963 below.

1963 -

original.jpg

CB's SG Original -

DSC_0768.jpg

Archived