Gibson Brands Forums

2013 SG Original - THE Definitive SG "Reissue" (GREAT JOB, GIBSON!!!)

hbomb76

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow cool guitar! I don't know if anyone remembers me but I used to bug Hbomb all time maybe 4 years ago about finding the most correct '61 RI styled SG. This looks fantastic! I want one.

Welcome back, Fred...And, getting an SG "Original" would be an awesome choice! Go For It!! [thumbup]

CB

[thumbup] Really very nice new "old" SGs, hbomb76 and charlie brown. Especially the colour of the finish is great and also greatly translates to your photographs. I am glad to hear from you about the fine make of these instruments. Thinking of my latest experiences with brand new Gibson guitars, workmanship of my SG Supra seems a huge lot better than that of the Gibson USA and Gibson Custom Les Paul guitars, and the Gibson USA L6S guitar I purchased during the last eleven months.

However, I think I'll have to wait forever until Gibson will release new 1970s style SGs with a lower neck joint, bridge pickup, harmonica bridge, and stoptail. Thus the neck pickup was around the 2nd octave with no plastics between fretboard and pickup ring. The wax potted pickups referred to as Super Humbucking, as far as I know designed by Bill Lawrence and equipped with ceramic magnets, were never made again I believe. The circuitry with 300 kOhms linear volume and 100 kOhms (!) audio taper tone pots loaded them down severely, and so these SGs didn't cut through. I replaced them with four 500 kOhms audio taper pots that really brought these fantastic pickups to life. Another advantage of my 1978 SG Standard is that due to the lower neck set it is less neck heavy than others.

• 4 weeks later...

At this price point, I seriously doubt it! Both of Mine are 2-piece, although it's

very hard to find the "seam," even on the back end...and, the grain is extremely well

matched! And..."Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a Damn!" They're both Awesome guitars,

in looks, playbility, overall tone, and even unplugged resonance! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

At this price point, I seriously doubt it! Both of Mine are 2-piece, although it's

very hard to find the "seam," even on the back end...and, the grain is extremely well

matched! And..."Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a Damn!" They're both Awesome guitars,

in looks, playbility, overall tone, and even unplugged resonance! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I can't even find the seam on my SG Classic. But I do have to agree, they're both very resonant. I would seem that the number of pieces in a body might have little to do with resonance anyway. I have an old Strat body that seems to have 5 pieces and it's still very resonant.

I'm sure you can't hear the difference on a recording between a one piece or a two piece. But I thought I'd ask anyway. I think the Historics are all one piece. Regardless I'm getting ready to pull the trigger. Just have to pick a dealer...

I got one today. Damn! What a guitar! I've been reading about Maestros on Custom Shops and the older 61 RIs and found this thread(http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173062).

My 2013 SG Original shows no issues like any of those Custom Shops in that link. The case closes great too! Did Gibson change the Maestro units on these? I have to say this is as good as the 2001 SG I had a few years ago. Gibson is making a fine guitar these days. I also picked up a 2013 Les Paul Traditional a month ago and I've had the same experience. It's a killer Gibson. Better neck than any Les Paul Standard of the 90s or 2000s. Something is up with Gibson for the 2013 year.

Got one to now, and like everybody says it's a very nice guitar. Nice bevels, beautiful finish and my maestro is perfect [thumbup] And the most important thing, great tone and sustain.The most resonant sg i have tried. So i guess Gibson telling the truth when they state that they might have the best tone wood ever. In a perfect word it would have a more cool wood grain, but i felt it sounded and felt really great in the store so i just hadn't the nerve to wait for another one

002-4_zps959fb824.jpg

[thumbup][biggrin] Congratulations, to you both, freddairy and sellen! Awesome choice,

on an outstanding new guitar!! Just wish Gibson, would go back to this kind of beveling,

and horn tapering, on ALL their SG's, now. It's just so much nicer looking, and feeling!

What a REAL SG should always have! IMHO, as always! [biggrin]

CB

[thumbup][biggrin] Congratulations, to you both, freddairy and sellen! Awesome choice,

on an outstanding new guitar!! Just wish Gibson, would go back to this kind of beveling,

and horn tapering, on ALL their SG's, now. It's just so much nicer looking, and feeling!

What a REAL SG should always have! IMHO, as always! [biggrin]

CB

Thanks Charlie!

Does the new standard have the same horn tapering and beveling?

Thanks Charlie!

Does the new standard have the same horn tapering and beveling?

The 2013 SG Standard does...FINALLY!! [tongue][biggrin] Now,

if we can just convince Gibson to DO THAT, to ALL the SG's...

from Custom to Jr.s...like they did, originally, in the '60's.

I've said it before (ad nauseum), and I'll keep saying it...until they

do...they just look, and feel SO MUCH BETTER, with the original

wider, and deeper beveling, and the horn tapering, as well.

Without that, they look like "knock off's" [cursing] ...IMHO. LOL [biggrin]

Even with the "Batwing" pickguards, the 66-68's still had much

wider, deeper bevels, and horn tapering, as well. The only

"batwing" pickguard model, that has that NOW...is the '50th

Anniversary Robby Krieger model. It's not as wide and deep as

the '61-65's, but still quite acceptable, to anything (save the

'61 resissues) Since. But, admittedly, I'm a bit of a Anal Nut

Case about SG bevels, and horn tapering! LOL

CB

Hey guys are your bridges low on these? I notice especially on the treble side my tune-o-matic sits much lower on my SG original than on my Les Pauls.

Nevermind. I guess I'm just freaking out. I lowered the treble side of my tune-o-matic as low as I could and the strings fretted out against the entire fretboard. So it's got enough room to come down if need be.

iT;S REALLY PRETTY AND gIBSON DOES MAKE REALLY GOOD REISSUE GUITARS, AND i HAVE HEARD A REISSUE sg THAT SOUNDS AS GOOD AS THE PORIGINAL, HOWEVER, MOST OF THE OTHER REISSUES THEY MAKE FALL SHORT OF THE TONE QUALITY INT HE ORIGINALS. i HAVE A 1969 sg sTANDARD, PROBABLY COSTS LESS THAN THE REISSUE. lET ME KOW IF YOU WANT TO BUY IT!!

Well, as has been stated, previously...this new "Original" SG, is the best one

they've done, in decades...IMHO! Right color, right beveling-horn tapering,

right pickups, and neck profile, and with a Maestro, as well! AWESOME!! [thumbup] [thumbup] [biggrin]

Now...Gibson....PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, [-o< extend the '60's beveling and horn tapering

to ALL SG models!

CB

Well, as has been stated, previously...this new "Original" SG, is the best one

they've done, in decades...IMHO! Right color, right beveling-horn tapering,

right pickups, and neck profile, and with a Maestro, as well! AWESOME!! [thumbup] [thumbup] [biggrin]

Now...Gibson....PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, [-o< extend the '60's beveling and horn tapering

to ALL SG models!

CB

I notice the 2013 Original has a ledge at the neck heel on the back where the neck meets the body. The CS VOS doesn't. Which is more correct?

The ledge, and sloap is correct, for early '60's SG's. Although...they varied, even within the same year!

Some had no heel, at all...and some had less "sloaping" toward the neck joint, as well. So, there's really

no definitive "correct" for the period. Maybe in design, or original spec's, there was...but, it didn't

seem to translate, all that consistently, to the production line. [tongue][biggrin] The longer heel, was added in '66,

I believe, along with the newer "batwing" pickguard. The beveling changed, at that time, as well. That newer

beveling was still better, than what followed, in about '69. It's said that both were done, to facilitate easier wiring,

and add strength, to the neck joint. I've owned both early '60's and later ('68) SG's, and never had any issues,

with what was perceived as neck joint problems, in either design. So..??? But, I still (even at that time) preferred,

the early '60's neck joint style.

Also, some of the neck joint differences may have been an attempt to bolster it, or approach

it in a different manner, to facilitate better stability, based on complaints, from customers?

That's just a guess, on my part. :unsure:

CB

• 1 month later...

Great looking geetars!

I'm a 61 reissue user myself, and I am really liking the looks and most importantly the reviews by the reputable members here. It must be a great guitar.

A question I have is about the nashville bridge. It seems that none of you mind that it has that over the abr-1. I'm looking to buy another 61 reissue, but have seen some 90's models that have the abr-1's and the 2000 years with the nashville for sale. I'm kinda on the fence. I've seen some bent posts on the abr-1's so I'm leaning toward the nashville to remedy any worry of that and to not have a retainer clip, etc. Do you guys think the nashville is better? I'm assuming so or you would have complained a little about the SG Original.

Also, do these originals have rosewood 1 piece fretboards, and apparently the 2 piece is a non-issue to you experts as well?

Great looking geetars!

I'm a 61 reissue user myself, and I am really liking the looks and most importantly the reviews by the reputable members here. It must be a great guitar.

A question I have is about the nashville bridge. It seems that none of you mind that it has that over the abr-1. I'm looking to buy another 61 reissue, but have seen some 90's models that have the abr-1's and the 2000 years with the nashville for sale. I'm kinda on the fence. I've seen some bent posts on the abr-1's so I'm leaning toward the nashville to remedy any worry of that and to not have a retainer clip, etc. Do you guys think the nashville is better? I'm assuming so or you would have complained a little about the SG Original.

Also, do these originals have rosewood 1 piece fretboards, and apparently the 2 piece is a non-issue to you experts as well?

Hey man

With my Sg original i don't bother check up if it one or two piece fretboard or body. It just sound great and are a joy to play. Sure no guitar is perfect and after the "honeymoon" i found some small/minor things in build/material quality and a few deadspots. But i don't care as it sounds and look's great, it's a player.

Found out, according to gibson specs, that it is a 1 piece rosewood board.

Still curious on the lack of ABR-1 on it, from you guys. Sounds like a non-issue, and I don't want to resurrect old debate, but just curious on a couple of vintage preferring fellows.

2 vs 1 piece body really doesn't matter to me. I've got a 2 piece SG 61' that plays and sounds better than any I've ever held.

Archived