Gibson Brands Forums

2013 SG Original - THE Definitive SG "Reissue" (GREAT JOB, GIBSON!!!)

hbomb76

Hmmmm...All my SG's (still) have the binding "nibs" at the fret ends. And, they're

all recent. 1 2012 '61 "Satin", 3 2013 models (Kirk Douglas Custom, "Original,"

and '61 "Les Paul Tribute")

I haven't (yet) seen a 2013 "Standard" SG...does it still have the "nibs," or have

they gone to the frets through the binding, on it???

CB

My cousin just bought one of the last 2013 SG standards on one of those blowout sales the other day. Yes, it still has the nibs (and no etune).

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to quit hanging out here. You guys are costing me a fortune [cursing]

When I first saw the SG Original photos I immediately thought - there's my next purchase. The I thought wait a minute - I have a perfectly wonderful SG Standard in Heritage Cherry and a perfectly wonderful SG Supreme in Fireburst so thankfully I can pass on this one. It is stunning to look at however and since I just looked at them a few days ago they have dropped in price from $1649 to $1519 further tempting me but I held off. Those are beautiful guitars without a doubt. [thumbup]

I KNOW the feeling, David. After not owning ANY SG's for 40 years, I

bought 4, this year alone! I've never bought 4 guitars in that short

a period, in my life, before this year! I went SG "Crazy!" [scared][blush][razz] LOL [lol]

CB

[thumbup][rolleyes][thumbup][biggrin]

I love it CB - I am not alone in my maniacal pursuits [thumbup]

Oh, David...not to worry! There are a lot of us guitar "Crazed"

individuals, on this forum. [biggrin] If I remember right, there

was a guy on the Epiphone forum, that had purchsed like 7 Epi's,

in a month! [scared] LOL So, we are NOT alone! [tongue]

CB

I almost bought another SG Original two days ago. Zzounds was selling a blemished one for $1239.

I almost bought another SG Original two days ago. Zzounds was selling a blemished one for $1239.

Okay I lied - that one is still available and I put it in my shopping cart and called them to find out "what" the blemish was, where it is - front or back - how substantial of a blemish it is cuz if they're knocking off $300 it must be a sizeable blemish and the customer service rep said there's no way for them to tell me what the blemish is or where it is or how big it is because they're in Chicago and it ships from their warehouse in New Jersey soooooooo I decided not to buy it. I know I can return it if I'm not satisfied but I'm busy and I hate having to mess with that stuff so despite my GAS giving me fits I'm going to pass.

So if anyone wants that one - go for it. I've got a Kalamazoo on the way so I was almost getting greedy there. Okay not almost I am greedy but since they can't be more specific on that blemish I can move on [crying]

Okay I lied - that one is still available and I put it in my shopping cart and called them to find out "what" the blemish was, where it is - front or back - how substantial of a blemish it is cuz if they're knocking off $300 it must be a sizeable blemish and the customer service rep said there's no way for them to tell me what the blemish is or where it is or how big it is because they're in Chicago and it ships from their warehouse in New Jersey soooooooo I decided not to buy it. I know I can return it if I'm not satisfied but I'm busy and I hate having to mess with that stuff so despite my GAS giving me fits I'm going to pass.

So if anyone wants that one - go for it. I've got a Kalamazoo on the way so I was almost getting greedy there. Okay not almost I am greedy but since they can't be more specific on that blemish I can move on [crying]

Other blemished items I got for them usually meant that it had a small chip or scratch on it. At that price, that's $2000 off the list. That's an incredible deal scratch or no scratch. What fueled the GAS for me was the fact that they don't seem to have the SG Original in their catalog for the 2014 year.

Other blemished items I got for them usually meant that it had a small chip or scratch on it. At that price, that's $2000 off the list. That's an incredible deal scratch or no scratch. What fueled the GAS for me was the fact that they don't seem to have the SG Original in their catalog for the 2014 year.

You just have to click onto the 2013 catagory, and you'll see they're still there!

The 2014 doesn't show them, because they were introduced in late 2012. 2014 shows

Only the guitars introduced (late this year), for the 2014 model year.

CB

You just have to click onto the 2013 catagory, and you'll see they're still there!

The 2014 doesn't show them, because they were introduced in late 2012. 2014 shows

CB

See? I didn't need to get another one for a "just in case" scenario.

CB

Thank goodness. I thought oh hell here's another "limited edition" I have to purchase. [biggrin]

I know its a good deal but you need to understand that in addition to the Gibson Midtown Kalamazoo I'm waiting on, I also bought a Fender Blacktop B90 Jaguar & a Fender Cabronita Thinline THIS MONTH! I need to stop (until January at least). [biggrin][blush][laugh]

• 4 months later...

Great thread! I was looking @ a Marshall DSL 40C @ Sam Ash and I used one of these Originals. I bought the amp last week and spent all weekend thinking about the guitar. I've been guilty of being a Custom Shop snob and the price was too low! The guitar had a ping in the store and that don't bother me cause a pencil can cure that. I was impressed by the pick-up tone. When I came home and looked this guitar up and found out they were 57 classics. I was sold. I went back yesterday found out it was $300 cheaper than the tag ($1899). I got it home, restrung it & played it all night! I'm 60 years old and for me to get "gitty" over a guitar is very RARE! No tuning problems, no quality control flaws and the correct horns and color! Like Y'all said- Way to go Gibson!

Great thread! I was looking @ a Marshall DSL 40C @ Sam Ash and I used one of these Originals. I bought the amp last week and spent all weekend thinking about the guitar. I've been guilty of being a Custom Shop snob and the price was too low! The guitar had a ping in the store and that don't bother me cause a pencil can cure that. I was impressed by the pick-up tone. When I came home and looked this guitar up and found out they were 57 classics. I was sold. I went back yesterday found out it was $300 cheaper than the tag ($1899). I got it home, restrung it & played it all night! I'm 60 years old and for me to get "gitty" over a guitar is very RARE! No tuning problems, no quality control flaws and the correct horns and color! Like Y'all said- Way to go Gibson!

Congratulations, on BOTH your recent purchases. [thumbup]

SG's and a Marshall, are "tools of the gods!" [biggrin]

And, I KNOW the "Giddy" feeling...I'm 64, and feel like a "kid" again,

with my SG's. They're truly "Awesome!" [love]

CB

Archived