Gibson Brands Forums

Your opinions please......

iwalktheline

Weekend of Wrong.

Make the chimney sweeper wear white and blindfold the castle guards.

Give the dog a bowl of soup and let the young girls stay in an knit.

Now the politician says something pure and profound now the desperado relaxes behind his crossword puzzle.

Marson - Gibtin - thinking out of the box is a deed of virtue.

Pardon iwtl but seeing those pics. . . .

I love Gibson pickguards, including the pickguard on my J-50 and the no-longer-mine Sheryl Crow. So I get your enthusiasm.

However, Martins are Martins and Gibsons are Gibsons. You wouldnt try to make Neko Case look like Taylor Swift, or vice versa, would you? You wouldn't try to make Charlize Theron look like Jennifer Lopez, would you? You wouldn't try to make a Mustang fastback look like a Corvette, would you? You wouldn't make Barak Obama look like Mitt Romney, would you?

If your D-35 has one of those ugly thick black pickguards, replace it with a nice faux-tortoise pickguard of the proper Martin shape.

I find your distaste for the plain black guard interesting, Nick.

To me that besides the closed headstock and the steel was one of the mesmerizing factors when goin' from nylon string guitar to western as a 14 year old kid.

Today I see it as an absolutely neutral thing and wonder how you can read such negativity into it (no offense of course).

I follow your thought about a tortoise/cowskin-like guard, but isn't the black teardrop just a black teardrop.

In case yes, it's the teardrop I'll cry if the thread-host makes his idea come true he he he. . . .

IWTL, You asked for opinions, and you got them! I suppose you were partly looking for validation, and partly trying to stir some life into the party.

Here's my 2 cents. As an H'bird TV owner, I do not even like the idea of Epiphone putting what I would view as a proprietary/trademark appearing on their $250 Chinese knock off guitars. So, as you might guess, I'm actually less impressed with someone putting an internationally recognized Gibson icon on a guitar made by their competition. If you put a "HEMI" decal on a Hyundai, people would laugh at you. Only lamer thing I can think of is putting a 'Martin' headstock decal on a trash guitar. Something you'd expect from a high school wanna-be 1st year guitar player, not someone who respects their guitar, no matter what brand. I guess this is why Gibson prices replacement H'bird pickguards so high. Ok, that was 3 cents.

I find your distaste for the plain black guard interesting, Nick.

To me that besides the closed headstock and the steel was one of the mesmerizing factors when goin' from nylon string guitar to western as a 14 year old kid.

Today I see it as an absolutely neutral thing and wonder how you can read such negativity into it (no offense of course).

I follow your thought about a tortoise/cowskin-like guard, but isn't the black teardrop just a black teardrop.

In case yes, it's the teardrop I'll cry if the thread-host makes his idea come true he he he. . . .

It's not just the black teardrop. As I recall, those were a lot thicker than the earlier tortoise celluloid ones as well.

My 000-28 EC has a thin tortoise teardrop guard (see below), and I like it a lot. To me, Martins are austere enough without the understatement of the black pickguard. I also associate those with less-desirable periods for Martins, which paralleled those at Gibson in the push-them-out-the-door days of the 1970's.

plain000-28.jpg

Thanks boys, I really enjoyed reading all the opinions. If it angered any people it was not meant to, I had a spare guard and was playing my Martin and the wheels started turning. So, my decision is not to do it. I agree, a Martin is a Martin and a Gibsons a Gibson.

It's not just the black teardrop.

Alrite then - Still my 2 black guards ('84 and '05) are as plain as mr. Jones and Smith next door.

They are kind of square 1 components, if you see what is meant.

The 2 other (now we're talking about it) are similar to each other, but different. They are supposed to be in the same vein as yours, but when looking closer, the '05 is made from a kitsch-like mix of orange and purple pigmentation, the '01 more genuine brown based.

I would like one of the bigger patterned some day. Something between the talked about tortoise and cow.

Btw. my hearing is still gone, day 8. Every guitar sounds far away - the strings like tubular bells under water.

Frustrating, , , ooouuh YES !

Just thought you folks should know -

day 8. Every guitar sounds far away -

[/size]Just thought you folks should know -[/size][/font]

As the best I can remember, you have always been kinda "out there".

For example, in this particular case, we know your guitars haven't changed. Therefore, scientifically, you are indeed "further on up the road".

For the record, I like that about you. I think we all do.

As the best I can remember, you have always been kinda "out there".

Ouh thank you mister Stein, I really look forward to gettin' my herd back.

Doctor says 2 weeks might still be ahead in the worst case. Small tubes inside the ears are closed.

Basically blocked by frost - (and I wore wool-hat the day it happened).

Ouh thank you mister Stein, I really look forward to gettin' my herd back.

Doctor says 2 weeks might still be ahead in the worst case. Small tubes inside the ears are closed.

Basically blocked by frost - (and I wore wool-hat the day it happened).

Hope your ears get better soon!

It gets cold here too.... this morning I almost wore a tee shirt under my dress shirt!

Archived