Gibson Brands Forums

Socal 412

I just picked up a used beat up socal 412 cab. The tolex is ripping off and the grill frame is cracked. Other than that it sounds pretty good. The speakers distort pretty easily and have a fuzzy quality. I cant find much info or video of them on YouTube to compare. What are your thoughts on this cab? I play blues and rock. I really want to fix it up. Do you think I could tear the tolex off and sand the wood down and put a tung oil finish on the cab? I don't know. I have never restored a beat up cab.

Google is your friend msp_thumbup.gif

Socal review

The speakers are the same as those fitted to the BC30 so should certainly NOT sound fizzy or distort early in fact they should be capable of producing beautiful cleans as well as dirtying up. Sounds to me as though they have either been wired up wrongly of have been abused and are on the way out - give them a good check over.

The cab is birch ply so doesn't really suit to oil or varnish finish (and would be a pig to keep from getting chipped). I'd recommend removing the old tolex and recovering.

Thanks for your reply. The speakers can be clean, but when I add a little gain they have a good classic rock dirt sound is what I meant. They can get a little fuzzy. I play on a peavey classic 30 amp which doesn't really have much clean headroom to begin with. I wish I had new lady lucks to compare them to. I will check the wiring. I will also look into getting some new tolex covering.

The Lady Lucks are specifically voiced for the BC30 & SoCal 50 so probably just need some judicious eq tweaking to get the best out of them from your Peavey (assuming they're good to go)

Great cab and something I've thought about for my BC30

Archived