Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone have the 2013 SG Standard yet?

rjames1973

I'd really like to get some feedback from folks who already have the 2013 SG Standard. I have one on order (my first Gibson SG!), but am not sure when I'll get it. Apparently, there are shipping delays on Gibson's part. I've read that the 2013 SG Standard is similar to the '61 reissue. I'm curious as to what the similarities and differences are between the two models. Also, does the 2013 model stay in tune well? A friend of mine had a 2011 SG Standard, and it never stayed in tune, so he ended up selling it.

I cant believe someone sold an sg because it didn't stay in tune, oh first off I haven't played the new Sg myself and I am curious too. but for us that want to maintain that original appearance of our Sg's and are having tuning problems there are several things you can do. I kept my tuners because they were kluson deluxe nickel just found out that the six tuner holes in the head was real sloppy so I could have bought special knurled bushings from Stewart mac that was really over priced but decided to wrap the tuner with aluminum duct work tape instead about four times around and they are snug now. My tuning stays and I am thinking about doing my other one now.

I purchased a 2013 SG 60's tribute from guitar center 2 week ago. After changing the strings, I noticed a dented fretboard at the 7th fret. It causes the side of the fret to be exposed and it is loose. Also the fretboard is dented up in places. I took it back to guitar center and they had no other to trade out. They stated Gibson is also out and need to make more. This is said to take 30 days minimum. Just got the one quality control missed. Gibson quality?

Other than the above noted, I love the guitar. The 60s slim taper neck is perfect for my hands and the bustbucking pickups are awesome. I have not found a tone they cant handle. It has Grover tuners a big improvement from the standards. It stays in tune really well. I have had the faded and 2012 70s tribute, which would not stay in tune very well.

troysgguy,

Although the 2013 SG '60s tribute isn't the same as the 2013 Standard, I appreciate the feedback. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but you get what you pay for with Guitar Center. The Guitar Center in my area is the worst guitar store I've ever been in. They do not take care of their guitars, and half the time I demo a new one, it's damaged in some way. I ordered a Les Paul Studio from them a few years ago, and ran into similar QC issues like the one you described. Needless to say, I had to return two of them until I finally got one that was alright. My 2013 Gibson SG Standard is on order with Sweetwater. I know I shouldn't trash a guitar retailer and endorse another, but I will never buy music gear from anyone else other than Sweetwater from now on.

I purchased a 2013 SG 60's tribute from guitar center 2 week ago. After changing the strings, I noticed a dented fretboard at the 7th fret. It causes the side of the fret to be exposed and it is loose. Also the fretboard is dented up in places. I took it back to guitar center and they had no other to trade out. They stated Gibson is also out and need to make more. This is said to take 30 days minimum. What about Gibson quality? Just got the one quality control missed. Gibson quality?

Other than the above noted, I love the guitar. The 60s slim taper neck is perfect for my hands and the bustbucking pickups are awesome. I have not found a tone they cant handle. It has Grover tuners a big improvement from the standards. It stays in tune really well.

troysgguy,

Although the 2013 SG '60s tribute isn't the same as the 2013 Standard, I appreciate the feedback. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but you get what you pay for with Guitar Center. The Guitar Center in my area is the worst guitar store I've ever been in. They do not take care of their guitars, and half the time I demo a new one, it's damaged in some way. I ordered a Les Paul Studio from them a few years ago, and ran into similar QC issues like the one you described. Needless to say, I had to return two of them until I finally got one that was alright. My 2013 Gibson SG Standard is on order with Sweetwater. I know I shouldn't trash a guitar retailer and endorse another, but I will never buy music gear from anyone else other than Sweetwater from now on.

rjames,

rjames,

I did realize you were asking about a standard, but thought this was a good topic to state my case and learn a little from people with more experience. So educate me. Doesn't Sweetwater and Guitar Center get there Gibson guitars from the same place? I realize the one I purchased was a floor model, but find it hard to believe that the problem came from anywhere, but the factory. Also, since I have only been taking lesson for a little over a year, I figured guitars just under $1000. should be of adequate quality for my skill level. Are Guitar Center Guitars of lesser quality or do you mean they just get beat on as demos?

troysgguy,

Yes, Guitar Center and Sweetwater get Gibson guitars from the same place. It's what happens to the guitars after they get them that varies a bit. Again, I don't mean to talk trash about a company, but I think Sweetwater does a much more thorough job of inspecting the guitars they receive before they ship them out to their customers. That's just my opinion, and I certainly don't speak for anyone else. I wouldn't say that the guitars at the actual Guitar Center stores are of lesser quality. I just feel that the store in my area does not take good care of the ones they have hanging on their wall. For example, they recently got in a brand new Epiphone Ace Frehley Budakon Les Paul. I was extremely tempted to buy it, but after inspecting it closely, I discovered that there was a crack on the left side of the neck on the edge of the nut. On top of that, the guitar was on sale at full retail price, which I thought was crazy. I showed the damaged neck to one of the salesmen, and he didn't seem overly concerned about it. Unfortunately, I've lost confidence in Guitar Center's quality control process and in the way some of their staff members treat customers and the merchandise in their stores. I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for saying all of this, but you asked. :)

rjames,

I did realize you were asking about a standard, but thought this was a good topic to state my case and learn a little from people with more experience. So educate me. Doesn't Sweetwater and Guitar Center get there Gibson guitars from the same place? I realize the one I purchased was a floor model, but find it hard to believe that the problem came from anywhere, but the factory. Also, since I have only been taking lesson for a little over a year, I figured guitars just under $1000. should be of adequate quality for my skill level. Are Guitar Center Guitars of lesser quality or do you mean they just get beat on as demos?

troysgguy,

Yes, Guitar Center and Sweetwater get Gibson guitars from the same place. It's what happens to the guitars after they get them that varies a bit. Again, I don't mean to talk trash about a company, but I think Sweetwater does a much more thorough job of inspecting the guitars they receive before they ship them out to their customers. That's just my opinion, and I certainly don't speak for anyone else. I wouldn't say that the guitars at the actual Guitar Center stores are of lesser quality. I just feel that the store in my area does not take good care of the ones they have hanging on their wall. For example, they recently got in a brand new Epiphone Ace Frehley Budakon Les Paul. I was extremely tempted to buy it, but after inspecting it closely, I discovered that there was a crack on the left side of the neck on the edge of the nut. On top of that, the guitar was on sale at full retail price, which I thought was crazy. I showed the damaged neck to one of the salesmen, and he didn't seem overly concerned about it. Unfortunately, I've lost confidence in Guitar Center's quality control process and in the way some of their staff members treat customers and the merchandise in their stores. I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for saying all of this, but you asked. :)

rjames,

Rjames,

Thanks for explaining. I have been feeling the same way about GC. I will try Sweetwater on the next one. Did not want to trust online company, but have heard a lot of good things about them.

troysgguy,

I'm also cautious about ordering guitars online without actually playing them first, but have never had an issue with Sweetwater. I have ordered three guitars from them, and they were all in excellent condition when I received them. If you want the name of the guy I order from, I can send you a PM.

Rjames,

Thanks for explaining. I have been feeling the same way about GC. I will try Sweetwater on the next one. Did not want to trust online company, but have heard a lot of good things about them.

troysgguy,

I'm also cautious about ordering guitars online without actually playing them first, but have never had an issue with Sweetwater. I have ordered three guitars from them, and they were all in excellent condition when I received them. If you want the name of the guy I order from, I can send you a PM.

[/quote

Rjames,

If you could (PM) I would appreciate it. Also, since It seems you are knowledgeable and willing, I have a question. It seems all guitars I have bought from GC have excessively high action. The SG I just purchased had very high action which did not seem it would come from the Gibson that way. When I lowered it to Gibson specs, it buzzes in the 6th to 12th fret(low E) range quite a bit. I checked the neck relief, it was over .020. It seems like GC knew it had a problem and may have tried to hide it. Anyway, shouldn't the guitar come from the factory with the factory specs? Thanks for all the info.

troysgguy,

Yes, Guitar Center and Sweetwater get Gibson guitars from the same place. It's what happens to the guitars after they get them that varies a bit. Again, I don't mean to talk trash about a company, but I think Sweetwater does a much more thorough job of inspecting the guitars they receive before they ship them out to their customers.

And that gets back to my point is that these guitars need to be inspected better before they leave the gibson factory...JMO

would you pay $1500 for a stainless steel fridge only to get it delivered and find it has a a big scratch up the front?

would you pay $40000 for a car you ordered only to find it was keyed up the door?

would you pay $10 for a rotten stake?

would you pay $250 for a prescription medication only to find out they short changed you 20 pills?

then why has it become ok to accept a $1000 to $5000 guitar with problems...bad nut, poor paint job, on some occasions poor craftmanship (sanding, staining etc)....I just dont get it.....ok rant over.

p.s...when I say you I don't mean you Troysgguy...I mean the collective you meaning "us" or " We"...hehe

I just got a 2013 SG Standard in Ebony from Musicians Friend and it came sealed in the Gibson box and 100% flawless. The finish is perfect, the action is just right, and it has stayed in tune since I got it. I have absolutely no complaint about this guitar at all. It even smells great to boot.

Catatonick,

Congrats on the new SG! Musician's Friend recently offered me a really good deal on one in the heritage cherry finish, which they have in stock, but I decided to keep my order open with Sweetwater. They won't get them in until the first week of March, though. I wonder why Musician's Friend has them in stock now and so many other guitar retailers don't.

I just got a 2013 SG Standard in Ebony from Musicians Friend and it came sealed in the Gibson box and 100% flawless. The finish is perfect, the action is just right, and it has stayed in tune since I got it. I have absolutely no complaint about this guitar at all. It even smells great to boot.

I don't really know. I can honestly say I have never had an issue with Musicians Friend and I have ordered 2 guitars, an amp, strings, picks, straps, headphones, and cords through them. Shipping was always relatively fast and everything has been in perfect shape when I received it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered one from Sweetwater last night and will write a review when I get it. I called and they were very professional and helpful, I was impressed. Two year warranty and tech support, no shipping charge, no tax! $1299 out the door! [thumbup] I can't wait, I had a 1970 SG special that I sold when I was a kid, and have wanted one for many years. Now I can afford a Standard, built in the USA! Gibson rocks!

Forestabri,

Glad to hear that you also ordered the 2013 Gibson SG Standard from Sweetwater. I have had one on order (heritage cherry) with them for a couple of months now. Apparently, they are supposed to get the heritage cherry SGs in sometime during the week of March 3rd, but I'm sure that could change.

BTW, you might want to check with your salesman on price matching. Mine was able to get me the 2013 SG Standard new for $1,104.00. I called Musician's Friend a few weeks ago, and the customer service rep told me he could sell me a new one for that price. When I confirmed this with my Sweetwater salesman via email, he did the price match. That's one of the many things I love about Sweetwater.

I just ordered one from Sweetwater last night and will write a review when I get it. I called and they were very professional and helpful, I was impressed. Two year warranty and tech support, no shipping charge, no tax! $1299 out the door! [thumbup] I can't wait, I had a 1970 SG special that I sold when I was a kid, and have wanted one for many years. Now I can afford a Standard, built in the USA! Gibson rocks!

I cant believe someone sold an sg because it didn't stay in tune, oh first off I haven't played the new Sg myself and I am curious too. but for us that want to maintain that original appearance of our Sg's and are having tuning problems there are several things you can do. I kept my tuners because they were kluson deluxe nickel just found out that the six tuner holes in the head was real sloppy so I could have bought special knurled bushings from Stewart mac that was really over priced but decided to wrap the tuner with aluminum duct work tape instead about four times around and they are snug now. My tuning stays and I am thinking about doing my other one now.

SGPlayers, Out of these three beauties, which is your favorite?

I haven't seen anyone selling at a lower price online. They all went to 1299$ when they were back-ordered. Supply and demand I guess.

Forestabri,

Glad to hear that you also ordered the 2013 Gibson SG Standard from Sweetwater. I have had one on order (heritage cherry) with them for a couple of months now. Apparently, they are supposed to get the heritage cherry SGs in sometime during the week of March 3rd, but I'm sure that could change.

BTW, you might want to check with your salesman on price matching. Mine was able to get me the 2013 SG Standard new for $1,104.00. I called Musician's Friend a few weeks ago, and the customer service rep told me he could sell me a new one for that price. When I confirmed this with my Sweetwater salesman via email, he did the price match. That's one of the many things I love about Sweetwater.

Forestabri,

I guess "discounts" on Sweetwater merchandise vary from salesman to salesman. You might want to check Guitar Center and see what promos they're offering right now. A friend of mine has a Gibson Flying V on order with Sweetwater, and they were able to price match with a current promo that Guitar Center is running on their website. As a consumer, I'm a stickler for price matching, and will exhaust every available resource until I can find the best possible deal.

I haven't seen anyone selling at a lower price inline. They all went to 1299$ when thewere backordered. Supply and demand I guess.

Howdy All!

I'm also the proud owner of a Natural Burst Lefty 2013 SG Standard. Everything on it is perfect just a funky little stain on the top wood but, hardly noticeable. It's got a one piece body, the thing stays in perfect tune which really surprised me for a brand new guitar. It's got perfect balance, no neck dives and of course, it sounds fantastic. bought it through my local guitar shop and got dinged paying the sales tax. That's one of the reasons I like to buy online, not paying sales tax. As for Guitar Center, too many bad experiences with them in the past so no more purchasing through them. I found Wildwood Guitars to be a great place to buy from and recently The Music Zoo. You can preview the actual guitar you want to buy and they do a great job inspecting their guitars prior to shipping and include a free setup and both have decent return policies. You can negociate the prices down real easy with them both. After you purchased one or two guitars from them, negociating a lower price just gets better and better and the best thing, if your buying out of their states, you pay no sales tax to fund corrupt government agendas. I know eventually, they're gonna find away to tax all Internet transactions and I do believe Musician Friends is one of those online retailers already collecting sales taxes. I've also heard that Musicians Friends are now owned by Guitar Center, can anybody varify this?

Thanks, I just checked and they are also $1299. Looks like the deals are done. Not a huge deal , I was happy with the price until I found out that they were blowing these out the door around Christmas time. BTW, Sweetwater has the Heritage Cherry in stock today. Just sent off an email, waiting to hear back.[biggrin]

Forestabri,

I guess "discounts" on Sweetwater merchandise vary from salesman to salesman. You might want to check Guitar Center and see what promos they're offering right now. A friend of mine has a Gibson Flying V on order with Sweetwater, and they were able to price match with a current promo that Guitar Center is running on their website. As a consumer, I'm a stickler for price matching, and will exhaust every available resource until I can find the best possible deal.

Thanks, Forestabri. My Sweetwater salesman called me a little while ago to inform me that my '13 SG Standard arrived at their warehouse and is going to be shipped out to me today. I should get it by Thursday. I'll post a review on here once I get a chance to play it. Have a good one!

Thanks, I just checked and they are also $1299. Looks like the deals are done. Not a huge deal , I was happy with the price until I found out that they were blowing these out the door around Christmas time. BTW, Sweetwater has the Heritage Cherry in stock today. Just sent off an email, waiting to hear back.[biggrin]

Just got the call from Sweetwater, I should get mine this Friday or following Monday. I asked him to pick out one with a dark fingerboard and asked about the different weights of the guitars listed. He said it all comes down to wood density. So if one prefers a light guitar, that's possible. I told him I thought density is a good thing, but to pick out a nice one all around. I'm already playing it in my mind![thumbup]

Thanks, Forestabri. My Sweetwater salesman called me a little while ago to inform me that my '13 SG Standard arrived at their warehouse and is going to be shipped out to me today. I should get it by Thursday. I'll post a review on here once I get a chance to play it. Have a good one!

Archived