Gibson Brands Forums

2012 R8 VOS Finish

ROCKINRIT

I was checking out a 2012 R8 VOS cherryburst the other day. Are these VOS's suppose to have a slight relic'd look. The hardware has some tarnishing. Both back cavity covers are full of scratches and there is slight "checking throuout the body. The guy selling it says thats the way it came from the factory. Is this correct? Thank you

The VOS will have a dullerl finish compared to a bright high gloss one. (It can be buffed or polished to a higher gloss) There will ba a "tarnish" on the screws and other metal parts. The plastic on the back may be dull and scratched (can be buffed out). Not exactly sure what you mean by checking throuout the body as I have not seen a weather checked one from the factory unless it is a Murphy aged one The Certificate of Authenticity would say if it was a Murphy aged guitar.. With the exception of the checking, it sounds just like the other VOS guitars I have seen, including my 2012 VOS.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I have both the gloss and VOS versions of the 2011 R8. The VOS does have tarnished hardware and aged backplate covers. I've been polishing the 'aged' parts to be more like the gloss version.....my preference. The top/back finish looks the same, though.

• 1 month later...

Archived