Gibson Brands Forums

New Lyre Maestro queston/concern...

Hi All,

Hope you can help me, with this?

I recently (last week) bought a new SG "Original" with Lyre/Maestro Vibrola. AWESOME guitar!!

My concern/question is...what's up with the vibrato arm, being at such an angle, as (when not in use)

it won't clear the knobs, to rest against the side of the tailpiece (between the knobs), when not

needed? I've owned several other "vintage" Gibson's ('69 ES 355 Stereo, and '68 SG Standard) with

the same system, and there was never any problem, with them, in the past. Has something "spec" wise

been changed, from the older versions, or is there something that can be done, to "fix" this, on my

new one? (Photos, below)

DSC_0825_zpscadabe22.jpg

DSC_0829_zpsaaf00094.jpg

DSC_0828_zps117b4517.jpg

Hope you can help!

Thanks,

CB

It's a flaw in the design, the curved plates don't always hold true to the same tension when they're pressed and sometimes if you play heavier gauge strings (12's+) it will pull it down a little more, but that looks like a bad maestro. I work at a Gibson warranty dealer and I've had plenty of issues with Maestros in recent months between this problem and keeping the arm from coming loose when you move it from side to side. I usually get Gibson to send out a new one all together because there's really no practical solution and it will only get worse over years of play and string tension. It doesn't mean it's a bad guitar, if it feels and plays well (minus the vibrato), keep it and fix the bridge. If not, I'd say return it and find one with a better angle out of the factory.

If there isn't a Gibson warranty tech in your area you can email me these pictures, the serial #, and your shipping address I'll contact my rep and get one sent out. If you're handy with a screw driver I can get it over to you and you can have it playing how it should in no time.

It's a flaw in the design, the curved plates don't always hold true to the same tension when they're pressed and sometimes if you play heavier gauge strings (12's+) it will pull it down a little more, but that looks like a bad maestro. I work at a Gibson warranty dealer and I've had plenty of issues with Maestros in recent months between this problem and keeping the arm from coming loose when you move it from side to side. I usually get Gibson to send out a new one all together because there's really no practical solution and it will only get worse over years of play and string tension. It doesn't mean it's a bad guitar, if it feels and plays well (minus the vibrato), keep it and fix the bridge. If not, I'd say return it and find one with a better angle out of the factory.

If there isn't a Gibson warranty tech in your area you can email me these pictures, the serial #, and your shipping address I'll contact my rep and get one sent out. If you're handy with a screw driver I can get it over to you and you can have it playing how it should in no time.

Thanks, for the information, and your offer, as well. I'm going to go to my dealer, in Wichita, first. If they can't help, then I'll take you up, on your offer. I'm quite confident I could install it, myself. I'm also, pretty sure, my dealer IS an "Authorized" Gibson warranty/repair station, as well. So, I think they'll be able to do what needs to be done. They're like that, anyway....like to keep their customer's happy, etc. Thank God!

I only wrote the note, here, to see if there was any kind of "adjustment" I could make, without replacing the unit. That seems

not to be the case, so...I'll see what my dealer can do...or, (again) IF they can't help, for some odd reason, I'll send the photos to you, and we'll go from there.

Thanks, again!

CB

Glad I could be of any help. If you can change strings, remove screws, and replace screws right back where they came from then you can install it. And as long as they're authorized to do such repairs it shouldn't be a problem. It's unfortunate that there is no simple adjustment for this type of problem on Maestro vibratos, I'm sure someone at Gibson thought it was genius and that it would change the way people played guitar, instead it was mostly taken off of the guitars and caused alot of headaches.

Hope they take good care of you and your new baby,

Travis

Glad I could be of any help. If you can change strings, remove screws, and replace screws right back where they came from then you can install it. And as long as they're authorized to do such repairs it shouldn't be a problem. It's unfortunate that there is no simple adjustment for this type of problem on Maestro vibratos, I'm sure someone at Gibson thought it was genius and that it would change the way people played guitar, instead it was mostly taken off of the guitars and caused alot of headaches.

Hope they take good care of you and your new baby,

Travis

Thanks, Travis. I appreciate your wanting to help, and answering my post. As I had mentioned, I've had 2 of the Maestro

vibrato's, in the past...on a '68 SG Standard, and a '69 ES-355 Stereo. (Neither of which, I still own, unfortunately! ;>( )

But, they didn't have this kind of problem, at all. In fact, they worked fairly well (for me, anyway), at that time. I only

sold them, because I quit playing (for 30 years), when "disco" took over. LOL But, I'm keeping the new "SG Original," that

I have now, because in every other way, it's Outstanding!! I really LOVE it! Just hope I can find some satisfactory solution,

to the Maestro "problem." Time will tell, no doubt.

While we're at this...is the problem in the "spring like plate?" Can it be modified (bent) at all? OR, replaced with a "correct"

(whatever that means) one? OR, is the angle of the handle, a/the problem? Questions, questions... ;>)

Update: 02-04-2013 My dealer just e-mailed me, and his Gibson rep, said there was, indeed,

a few "faulty" Lyre Maestro's installed on a very few, of the first batch, of "SG Originals."

He told me, that Gibson offered to replace my faulty unit, for a "corrected" one, IF I will send

my guitar back to Nashville. My dealer's luthier has asked, instead, if Gibson would agree to

send just the new corrected unit, for him to put on, at the dealer, therefore saving me not only

"lead time," but also the worry of my guitar being damaged, lost, or stolen, in transit. We'll

see what Gibson agrees to...(soon), I hope! Keeping my finger's crossed! [tongue]

Cheers,

CB

Thanks, Retrorod...It's an absolutely AWESOME guitar, in all other aspects.

I just (this morning) recieved this note, from Gibson Customer Service:

"Looking into this issue as well for you - we did receive your email and

appreciate the photos you've posted of the problem. I understand that your

dealer is assisting, but we've also requested a solution asap from the Gibson

USA QC team and Plant Manager."

So, we're hoping they'll do that (send the parts), as well. Time will tell, but

I remain optimistic, as I've had good luck with Gibson CS, on previous "glitches."

As such, I've no real reason to worry, that they won't come through, on this one.

Cheers,

CB

Latest update, from Gibson Customer Service (as of last evening), on my Maestro issue?

Charlie,

I can have the replacement Maestro sent to you, or to your dealer if you prefer. Please let me know your address and phone# if you'd like it shipped direct to you. We'll just need to have the defective Maestro returned once the new one is installed, I can take care of the return shipping as well.

Thanks!

Jason

I have requested they send the parts to my dealer, and I will have it installed, there. I'm pretty sure "I" could do it, but I KNOW Brian, my dealer's Luthier, can! [biggrin]

Will post photos, of the replacement, as soon as it's completed.

Cheers,

CB

Got home, this PM, after being at my Dealer's (E.M. Shorts), having the new (replacement) Lyre-

Maestro vibrola installed. Works a LOT better, and I can swing it out of the way, so it comes to rest

next to the tailpiece. That was impossible, before. So, Thank You Gibson, for your help, and prompt

delivery of the replacement parts. The guitar now, is even more awesome, than it was before! Thanks,

too, to Brian, at "Shorts," for his expert work, as usual! Made all the difference! I'm one happy

camper, now! [thumbup][biggrin]

As you can see, in these photos, the handle doesn't scrape the body, and has plenty of clearance, when

resting. It moves feely, over the tailpiece, now...to it's useful position.

DSC_1114copy_zps6aa1acd6.jpg

DSC_1111copy_zpsadae6b94.jpg

Anyway, "All's well, that ends well," as they say! [biggrin]

CB

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose you take the tension off the strings to remove the arm (you know what i'm talking about) and then carefully bend the arm up so that it'll clear the knobs, I've been thinking about doing the opposite to the vibrola arm of my flying V because it cant fit in the aftermarket case unless i take it off (its an SKB case, If i could fit it in a gibson V case to see if it'd fit I'd get the Gibson case) Aside from that. It's really just a design flaw and not a very major one. it still plays, just swing the arm around the other way when you need to get it outa the way counter clockwise.

• 2 months later...

Hey I noticed your bridge is set kinda low. Is that normal on SGs? My Les Paul's bridge sits really high off the body but my new SG Original's Bridge is kinda low. I'm worried it might be problematic in the future.

Mine sits low, too. Hasn't been a problem yet. I have a 35 year old V with a bridge even lower than that and no problems.

• 1 year later...

My SG custom has this problem, I discovered what is causing it, emailed Gibson to try to get help with a replacement part because it is clearly a defect that Gibson should honor the replacement of it even though it's not under warranty. Gibson did reply and to my disappointment,they offered no help whatsoever!!!!! Very sad that Gibson for as much as you spend on a Guitar from them, they simply just blow you off. They wouldn't even sell me the part!!! The part I need could not possibly cost them much. So now unless I buy the part from all parts is have a guitar that is not even useable with the tremolo.

Thanks Gibson for nothing!

• 6 years later...

I have a 2006 Gibson Custom Shop LP SG Standard that has the same issue, although the guitar seems to play well I am prevented from lowering the action any further because of a too shallow break angle from the Maestro to the bridge. When I bought the guitar new I didn’t know anything of this issue other than noticing how high the vibrola arm sits off the body unable to close case while the bar is facing the back.

The thing that really made me aware it was an issue was my purchase of a 2020 1964 Gibson Murphy Lab SG where the Marstro is set up perfectly. I’m just starting my journey to see if Gibson will help resolve the issue or not being the guitar is probably out of warranty in 2021, but the seller photo at the bottom is proof the guitar has been like this since it was first purchased.

6429D71A-1FEF-484C-AF56-0B274BE6C546.jpeg

9D897DA4-6BC1-43C0-88B4-F661C98518EF.jpeg

4C7BE184-E8FB-48E7-9512-A52689B67E0E.jpeg

Edited by santacruz3600