Gibson Brands Forums

Ampeg 8x10 = Cops knocking on my garage

Basshole

Man i just got it a couple of weeks ago and it is loud. I guess the cops were bangin on my door for five minutes and i couldnt hear them. Playing it through a 300 watt amp is awesome. They were so mad, it was funny. i think one cop was seriously questionably like the same sex. The amp is so loud it vibrates the fence out side of my garage. is there anyway (besides turning it down[-( ) to make my amp more quite?

Turn down the volume knob on your bass.

Get a hearing aid?

Use a bad cord?

Use an attenuator? (tube amp?)

Move to the country?

Move the rig to the country and play via a wireless setup?

Place the amp in a nearly sound proof box?

Is this a joke?

You could wrap it in layers of blankets or carpet foam. If that's not acceptable and you want it visible maybe bubble wrap would work or you could soundproof the room and just deafen yourself.

If your not being sarcastic and like the breakup or tone at that volume a hotplate would let you drive the amp at acceptable volumes

If your not being sarcastic and like the breakup or tone at that volume a hotplate would let you drive the amp at acceptable volumes

As long as it's a tube amp; attenuators destroy solid state amps (and wouldn't achieve the same effect if they did anyway).

Get a hearing aid?

Use a bad cord?

Use an attenuator? (tube amp?)

Move to the country?

Move the rig to the country and play via a wireless setup?

Place the amp in a nearly sound proof box?

Is this a joke?

but thats after i put it in giant fishtank filled with jello thats hung from a highrise right?

As long as it's a tube amp; attenuators destroy solid state amps (and wouldn't achieve the same effect if they did anyway).

Good point I just assumed he was playing thru a Ampeg bass head because of the 8x10 spkrs and the 300 watts. Hell I'd probably complain about that if you were my neighbor but I would not have called the police I would have politely talked to you at least the first time

It takes some heavy duty sound proofing to control bass frequencies. I doubt the carpet would work very well.

Might be best to dig out an underground practice room, and cover the top with about 3 feet of soil. Just don't forget where it is and park your car on it.

Bass sound is a different animal than guitar, the low E is a 40hz sound wave that is 40 feet long, and travels, it is louder outside the garage then in. The garage may even amplifier the waves even more. The sound pressure is shake'n all the windows in the area. They think your one of those boom box cars. There is nothing like play'n bass and feel'n it too. You'll have to down size to a small rig, it will never sound the same.

Archived