Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul studio 2007 or 2012?

Tidues

So I have a deal going on with someone ,I might be purchasing a second hand 2007 gibson lespaul for $1212 usd.(Pictures in another forum post http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/97540-is-this-a-genuine-les-paul/)

Or Should i go for a 2012 edition for $1656 USD(Wine Red).

Still wondering if a second hand is worth that much, or should i just go for a new one.

Share your views so i can evaluate my thoughts?

P.S I like both the guitars.

I think a lot of it depends on where you are on the globe, and what Gibby's are available and how much they go for.

If you are comparing a new "Standard" (By "Standard", I mean a model which resembles, such as a "Traditional" or a "Classic") to a used "Studio", for anywhere near the same price, I would think one would go for the new one.

In the US, 1200 for a used Studio is WAY too much money. But again, it depend on where you are in the world.

I think a lot of it depends on where you are on the globe, and what Gibby's are available and how much they go for.

If you are comparing a new "Standard" (By "Standard", I mean a model which resembles, such as a "Traditional" or a "Classic") to a used "Studio", for anywhere near the same price, I would think one would go for the new one.

In the US, 1200 for a used Studio is WAY too much money. But again, it depend on where you are in the world.

I'm pretty new to the guitar scene, and right after touching a Gibson les paul. I'm desperate for one lol. Anyway, gibsons are hard to comeby in my country.

I had an '07 LP double-cut that experienced a failure

of the glue joint between the two body halves.

Gibson suspected the wood had been improperly dried,

and replaced the guitar under warranty.

An '07 SG Classic I owned developed numerous finish checks.

These were almost all in straight lines on the body,

and a few on the peghead.

FWIW, these first hand experiences have made me a bit hesitant

to consider Gibsons manufactured in '07.

I had an '07 LP double-cut that experienced a failure

of the glue joint between the two body halves.

Gibson suspected the wood had been improperly dried,

and replaced the guitar under warranty.

An '07 SG Classic I owned developed numerous finish checks.

These were almost all in straight lines on the body,

and a few on the peghead.

FWIW, these first hand experiences have made me a bit hesitant

to consider Gibsons manufactured in '07.

The 07 guitar had some finish cracks and chips on it, I was wondering how much of a devalue is that on a guitar?

a few obvious one.

The 07 guitar had some finish cracks and chips on it, I was wondering how much of a devalue is that on a guitar?

a few obvious one.

It certainly should devalue it some, but it's hard to say for sure, as finish issues concern some folks a lot more than others. The price you've quoted is high for a used Studio being sold in the US. You can find them here all day for well under $1000. I would do a very thorough search of prices in your regional location as well as mail order options. Good luck!

It certainly should devalue it some, but it's hard to say for sure, as finish issue concern somee folks a lot more than others. The price you've quoted is high for a used Studio being sold in the US. You can find them here all day for well under $1000. I would do a very thorough search of prices in your regional location as well as mail order options. Good luck!

What about Epiphones? I know they won't be as good as an Gibson. But comparing a higher end Epiphone to a lower end Gibson won't be far right?

I'm more concerned about sounds

I literally just got the exact same alpine white 2007 Les Paul Studio five days ago for $800. No cracks or dents.

No cracks?

I kid, but kinda not. We just had a big ole thread on what is the extent, how to fix, should you fix, etc.

I doubt yours has any issues, and looks real good in the pics. That's the point. But I get the impression, the OP is checking out a guitar that may have some of the issues mentioned before. There MIGHT be a connection, however, between yours and the OP's and the issues breifly seen with the "uncured wood".

I kinda doubt it, but there's no way to tell without pics.

What about Epiphones? I know they won't be as good as an Gibson. But comparing a higher end Epiphone to a lower end Gibson won't be far right?

I'm more concerned about sounds

They would still be 2 different animals.

If you are into the 1200-1600 dollar range, there really is no reason to consider an Epi if you are after a Gibby. Even at 1200 bucks American, that should buy you plenty. You are still above "lower end" Gibby at that price.

So I have a deal going on with someone ,I might be purchasing a second hand 2007 gibson lespaul for $1212 usd.(Pictures in another forum post http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/97540-is-this-a-genuine-les-paul/)

Or Should i go for a 2012 edition for $1656 USD(Wine Red).

Still wondering if a second hand is worth that much, or should i just go for a new one.

Share your views so i can evaluate my thoughts?

P.S I like both the guitars.

Living in the USA, I would never pay that much for a used Gibson Studio that wasn't some kind of limited model. That being said. Even 1600 is more than I would do for most LP studio's. Here is last years 2012 Nitrous studio model brand new on closeout. http://www.samash.com/p/Gibson__2095830 -- They can be found for 799 Used.

Anyone asking 1600 for a NEW 2012 model is IMO out of their mind. Everyone knows MSRP is a joke, they start 40% off that. Previous years models should even be 200-300 off that.

Archived